You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No risk & a proven winner Rafa Benitez

ronnie38

You're drifting into the thorny issue of player power now though. It could quite easily be read that at both Chelsea and Liverpool there were players who considered themselves to be bigger than the manager and therefore felt quite justified in actively trying to get rid of the boss. In Chelsea's case though, there was probably more about self-interest - ie players not playing, or feeling like they were being edged out - whereas at Liverpool they may well have been actively trying to get rid of the manager because Purslow made it much more possible for them to do so, pallying up to them and slagging off Rafa behind his back.

At the end of the day, we'll never know will we? One thing i'll say though, is that I can't think of one senior player that we've had over the last 10 years who has done anything other than give his all for the club.

The likes of John Terry etc are a totally different breed to our senior players. To me, I choose to believe that our players lost faith in their manager on a professional level because it seems far more plausible than the allegations of them somehow acting like children.

After Benitez brought Kenny back to the club, this populist move needed to be undermined. So then we had stories about Benitez exiling Kenny to the Academy. This is the sort of shit which has led up to the current debacle.

I never credited you with a complete absence of a sense of humour.

While you're on the subject though, you may be keen to know that Parry brought KD back. A welcome PR move, given the shit that was flying around, and also a contingency plan should any of Rafa's grumblings turn into actions. How he ended up at the academy is anyone's guess.

After Benitez brought Kenny back to the club, this populist move needed to be undermined. So then we had stories about Benitez exiling Kenny to the Academy. This is the sort of shit which has led up to the current debacle.

Benitez came out and said he wanted Rafa as a figurehead and go between first team and academy. Said it was Purslow who Marginalised his role.

While you're on the subject though, you may be keen to know that Parry brought KD back. A welcome PR move, given the shit that was flying around, and also a contingency plan should any of Rafa's grumblings turn into actions. How he ended up at the academy is anyone's guess.

So well informed and then. Where can I get hold of anyone? He seems in the know.

Lampard said something along the lines of not having a great relationship with Vilas Boas.

It isn't a rumour.

Not been ideal is the words he used.

Okay, so you said both, so which Liverpool player said the same thing?

Fair enough about the appointment, but Rafa did give him the role, didn't he. I'm pretty sure Kenny has said that.

If all of that is true, does it not make you wonder why a section of the players turned on him so much? In every dressing room there will be players who like the manager and players who don't, that's just the way it is.

But so much so that they actively want to get rid of the manager? That just sets alarm bells ringing to me and its the one thing that worries me about AVB (if the same rumours were true).

Define ' a section' of the players.

My guess is Gerrard, Carra, and those players unhappy with their playing time, who latched on to those two.

I think the sale of Alonso brought it all down.

At the end of the day, we'll never know will we? One thing i'll say though, is that I can't think of one senior player that we've had over the last 10 years who has done anything other than give his all for the club.

The likes of John Terry etc are a totally different breed to our senior players. To me, I choose to believe that our players lost faith in their manager on a professional level because it seems far more plausible than the allegations of them somehow acting like children.

I think you're lying to yourself if you don't believe senior players would act in their own self-interest. Without turning this into a character assassination; modern players are petulant, rich and egotistical, if they're allowed influence they will exercise it for their own selfish ends.

I think you're lying to yourself if you don't believe senior players would act in their own self-interest. Without turning this into a character assassination; modern players are petulant, rich and egotistical, if they're allowed influence they will exercise it for their own selfish ends.

Or, more charitably perhaps, their own inflated egos will whisper to them that they actually know best.

You misunderstand me, I totally agree about footballers, which just brings it back to having faith in their manager. If a player isn't playing, then he'll be unhappy but if the team are winning they can't do anything about it. If a team is playing poorly and not getting results, then the situation can spiral out of control can't it?

To me, it comes down to whether the manager is doing a good job with what he has, that will always be the key.

If the whole finger rubbing thing was true and we were winning, I couldn't give two fucks about it. When we're losing though and playing poorly?

Know what I mean?

What would you class as a senior player? I think several senior players have been guilty of not giving their all on the pitch under the last three managers.

What would you class as a senior player? I think several senior players have been guilty of not giving their all on the pitch under the last three managers.

I disagree. They may have played poorly but I don't think any players have purposely not tried.

That penalty at Blackburn still makes me wonder......

You misunderstand me, I totally agree about footballers, which just brings it back to having faith in their manager. If a player isn't playing, then he'll be unhappy but if the team are winning they can't do anything about it. If a team is playing poorly and not getting results, then the situation can spiral out of control can't it?

To me, it comes down to whether the manager is doing a good job with what he has, that will always be the key.

If the whole finger rubbing thing was true and we were winning, I couldn't give two fucks about it. When we're losing though and playing poorly?

Know what I mean?

I did get the wrong end of the stick, you're right. I thought we were discussing player power and the extent to which it does or doesn't exist at Anfield.

That penalty at Blackburn still makes me wonder......

You see this type of thing is just ridiculous. You actually think there is a chance that Gerrard would purposely miss a penalty? Staggering.

This season has brought about our lowest finish for years and we've missed loads of pens, so maybe they wanted Dalglish gone as well?

It's just childishness.