You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I want to make a new product

I have an idea for a new snack, which I believe will sell by the bucketload.

It is traditionally an indian snack. (This is going to be hard to describe). It is a cross between crisps and a pastry. By this I mean it is not made out of potatoes (and rather, pastry) but has the properties of a thick cut crisp.

It is probably the most addictive thing I have ever come across. Indians love them. Non-Indians absolutely crave them once they've been eaten once or twice. Been supplying around 8 family with them for a year now, they buy a big batch of them monthly or bi-weekly without fail.

I want to sell these, mass market, as crisp-like snacks. But I'm not going to market them as Indian snacks. Im not even going to make a reference to the asian-ness of it. And im guna produce them in a cack load of different flavours.

So, how do i do it?

I can brand myself. No need to graphic designers or the lark. Making a brand will be easy.

But how do they flavour crisps? What do they use? And where do I look for packaging prototypes etc?

FUCK YEAH! ENTREPRENEURSHIP FUCK YEAH!

Guest San Don
I have an idea for a new snack, which I believe will sell by the bucketload.

It is traditionally an indian snack. (This is going to be hard to describe). It is a cross between crisps and a pastry. By this I mean it is not made out of potatoes (and rather, pastry) but has the properties of a thick cut crisp.

It is probably the most addictive thing I have ever come across. Indians love them. Non-Indians absolutely crave them once they've been eaten once or twice. Been supplying around 8 family with them for a year now, they buy a big batch of them monthly or bi-weekly without fail.

I want to sell these, mass market, as crisp-like snacks. But I'm not going to market them as Indian snacks. Im not even going to make a reference to the asian-ness of it. And im guna produce them in a cack load of different flavours.

So, how do i do it?

I can brand myself. No need to graphic designers or the lark. Making a brand will be easy.

But how do they flavour crisps? What do they use? And where do I look for packaging prototypes etc?

FUCK YEAH! ENTREPRENEURSHIP FUCK YEAH!

You need to copyright the product name and if possible, the product itself.

I'd imagine youd have to comply with food hygene regulations about where you make the product and the contents of it. The Food Standards Agency may be a start.

Then you need to build a market for your product. Levi Rootes did this first by selling his sause at the notting hill festival(?) every year. Locally, he then started getting oder for the sauce from individuals and food outlets.

But, his big break came on dragons dens when a couple of the dragons got him an 'in' to one of the big supermarket chains.

Good luck!

You need to copyright the product name and if possible, the product itself.

I'd imagine youd have to comply with food hygene regulations about where you make the product and the contents of it. The Food Standards Agency may be a start.

Then you need to build a market for your product. Levi Rootes did this first by selling his sause at the notting hill festival(?) every year. Locally, he then started getting oder for the sauce from individuals and food outlets.

But, his big break came on dragons dens when a couple of the dragons got him an 'in' to one of the big supermarket chains.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice mate! Was helpful.

Im perplexed as to how to do this. Do you think I should try and get a big batch made and go around hunting for buyers? I.e local stores. How does one get a meeting with Asda, Tesco, et al?

Also, any idea on how they flavour crisps etc?

Not Fafra, mate. Good shout. Fafra is more akin to popadoms. Cant actually find anything on the net about them, though they are a common indian snack.

In that case you might mean Papri Ghatiya. I should point out I have no idea how this stuff is made (ingredients etc) but they are generally deep fried.

My folks have used this place before so they might show what you're after.

Indian Groceries to your Door - Masti.co.uk

In that case you might mean Papri Ghatiya. I should point out I have no idea how this stuff is made (ingredients etc) but they are generally deep fried.

My folks have used this place before so they might show what you're after.

Indian Groceries to your Door - Masti.co.uk

Not that either! But again a great shout haha. These are all gujarati treats which you've mentioned.

The snacks I'm talking about are also fried but I am tonight going to try and bake them instead. They're less greasy and fatty. Honestly can't describe them!