You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reports in Turkey, Rijkaard quits Gala and is set to be named LFC manager

8jordan8

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting squad he had in Turkey, should have been doing much better than 9th. A few players with prem experience playing under him there too.

Though, to be fair, if he had Lucas Neill and Insua as his fullbacks he is managing with a handicap. Sure Insua, Kewell and Baros could fill him in on us.

He could also bring Turan with him.

GALATASARAY SQUAD: GOALKEEPERS

* Aykut Ercetin

* Emirhan Ergun

* Eray Iscan

* Ufuk Ceylan

GALATASARAY SQUAD: DEFENDERS

* Lucas Neill

* Caglar Birinci

* Ali Turan

* Gokhan Zan

* Emiliano Insua

* Hakan Balta

* Serkan Kurtulus

* Ahmet Kesim

* Sinan Osmanoglu

* Servet Cetin

* Cetin Gungor

* Berk Neziroglulari

GALATASARAY SQUAD: MIDFIELDERS

* Aydin Yilmaz

* Baris Ozbek

* Elano

* Arda Turan

* Mustafa Sarp

* Ayhan Akman

* Lorik Cana

* Juan Pablo Pino

* Zvjezdan Misimovic

* Musa Cagiran

* Emre Colak

* Sabri Sarioglu

* Caner Oztel

* Cumhur Yilmazturk

* Serdar Ozkan

GALATASARAY SQUAD: FORWARDS

* Mehmet Batdal

* Milan Baros

* Anil Dilaver

* Harry Kewell

he wasn't sacked.

My bad if he resigned - but it sounds as though being asked to leave was on the cards. Either way they've been under-performing this year and were off the pace in the league last year too. No doubt he was instrumental in moulding the Barca team that's so dominant today, but since that period of success almost four years ago he's achieved relatively little with what he's had at his disposal - imo of course.

• 4 weeks later...
How about Frank Rijkaard with Henk Ten Cate or Pako Ayesteran as his assistant?

With a good number 2 I'd have no problem with Rijkaard. It would be a gamble but I think we've reached the stage where we need to take a gamble. We didn't take one in the summer and went with the safe choice.

Look how that turned out.

With a good number 2 I'd have no problem with Rijkaard. It would be a gamble but I think we've reached the stage where we need to take a gamble. We didn't take one in the summer and went with the safe choice.

Look how that turned out.

That is the key for me. If Rijkaard was to work alongside Henk Ten Cate or even Pako Ayesteran then I think it could work.

Guest The Chimp

Just don't fancy him for the job Steve. I said after Rafa went that the next appointment was massive as if it went wrong there was a real chance of us being stuck in the wilderness. The only thing that has hopefully saved us from this has been getting new owners in. Can you imagine the world of shite we'd be in now with Hodgson as manager if Cancer & Aids had managed to refinance?

We need to make the next appointment the perfect one. Not a make do; a he's not bad or a he's pretty decent, but as good as we can possibly get. Rijkaard just doesn't strike me as that. Then again - and as I often say - what the fuck do I know?

Just don't fancy him for the job Steve. I said after Rafa went that the next appointment was massive as if it went wrong there was a real chance of us being stuck in the wilderness. The only thing that has hopefully saved us from this has been getting new owners in. Can you imagine the world of shite we'd be in now with Hodgson as manager if Cancer & Aids had managed to refinance?

We need to make the next appointment the perfect one. Not a make do; a he's not bad or a he's pretty decent, but as good as we can possibly get. Rijkaard just doesn't strike me as that. Then again - and as I often say - what the fuck do I know?

I'm not 100% convinced by Rijkaard, but I thought he did a great job at Barcelona where he was assisted by Henk Ten Cate, and then struggled at Galatasary. I'm not sure that there are any candidates who tick all the right boxes.

Aye. Every word of this.

The Chimp speaks evolutionary truth.

The next appointment has to be right: we haven't got owners with a bottomless pit, and the next manager is going to have a massive rebuilding job on his hands (in the next few years we might need to literally change a whole team given the extent of dross in our squad, and if our few world-class stars choose to leave). We can't get this wrong, and that means making a long-term appointment: if the man we identify is currently in a job, we have to wait until the summer rather than go for whoever is free right now.

There is nothing in Rijkaard's history that suggests to me he is capable of what we need, or that he has the ability and nous to undertake this task.

Guest The Chimp
Still think we need an intermin appointment till the Summer. Then sort it our proper.

To be honest I'd have that as it would give us the time to get "the" appointment right. Roy's got to go for me.