You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hes an international and has won a few trophies so there seems to be some pedigree to him.

Have heard he will fill more of a Xabi role than a Masch role,which is good because Poulsen looks capable of doing that.

Hes looked good when I've seen him and Porto have a good history of producing good players,Carvalho and Deco spring to mind.

I really hope so mate, ah i'll give him a chance like every other player but i don't expect much, & Deco flopped in the premier league, really fucking hope i'm wrong about Merieles, but was genuinely shocked when i heard this and horribly disappointed.

I really hope so mate, ah i'll give him a chance like every other player but i don't expect much, & Deco flopped in the premier league, really fucking hope i'm wrong about Merieles, but was genuinely shocked when i heard this and horribly disappointed.

Well I'm going to cling to a bit of hope with this deal as I want Roy to succeed this season for all our sakes!

How great would a sale of the club be as well?

Hes an international and has won a few trophies so there seems to be some pedigree to him.

Have heard he will fill more of a Xabi role than a Masch role,which is good because Poulsen looks capable of doing that.

Hes looked good when I've seen him and Porto have a good history of producing good players,Carvalho and Deco spring to mind.

I watched a couple of games of him at Porto last night and it was just like the Porto fan was reported as saying earlier in the thread. Quick long balls to transition into attack. Superficially that might sound like Xabi but it was without the thought that Xabi put into his passing. Ran around a lot but Porto don't play with that "shape" in midfield like we will be doing so I don't know how he'll adapt to that.

He played in a midfield 3 and in one game Pedro Mendes was the stand-out midfielder even though his team were men down.

He's definitely a serious down-grade on Mascherano and is in no way comparable to Xabi in quality. BUT if we are going to play a deep, vertical game (euphemism for counter-attacking football), he might well be the round peg for the round hole we have.

I watched a couple of games of him at Porto last night and it was just like the Porto fan was reported as saying earlier in the thread. Quick long balls to transition into attack. Superficially that might sound like Xabi but it was without the thought that Xabi put into his passing. Ran around a lot but Porto don't play with that "shape" in midfield like we will be doing so I don't know how he'll adapt to that.

He played in a midfield 3 and in one game Pedro Mendes was the stand-out midfielder even though his team were men down.

He's definitely a serious down-grade on Mascherano and is in no way comparable to Xabi in quality. BUT if we are going to play a deep, vertical game (euphemism for counter-attacking football), he might well be the round peg for the round hole we have.

Pretty much nail on the head here

Well I'm going to cling to a bit of hope with this deal as I want Roy to succeed this season for all our sakes!

How great would a sale of the club be as well?

I really want Roy to succeed aswell mate, big fan of his. Signings like this don't fill me with confidence and the sale of the club would just be a weight lifted off every LFC's fans shoulders.

I'm disappointed. Not because I have a great understanding of how good Meireles is, but because I'd like us to sign talented, young players with upside such as Defour instead.

We seem to go the steady route, and I don't like it.

I really want Roy to succeed aswell mate, big fan of his. Signings like this don't fill me with confidence and the sale of the club would just be a weight lifted off every LFC's fans shoulders.

The problem is that theres so much negativity around the club because of the hierarchy that we tend to be pessimistic about any signing no matter how decent it seems.

If I've been prepared to give Paul Stewart or Torben Piechnik the benefit of the doubt then I owe Raul Meireles the same courtesy.

If I've been prepared to give Paul Stewart or Torben Piechnik the benefit of the doubt then I owe Raul Meireles the same courtesy.

You have just given me the opening line of my speech when I first bump into him coming out of the trendy bars I attend Slaters

"Hello Raul. I am prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt I extended to Paul Stewart & Torben Piechnik. Good day to you Sir."

hey friends. I'm Portuguese, I'm from Benfica but was always aware of the career of Raul Meireles in Porto, great player, a good midfielder, also plays with our selection, I am very happy for a Portuguese integrate my favorite team in England! =) I hope he has luck at Anfield. Hugs from Portugal!

By the way, sorry for some mistakes in my english = /

hey friends. I'm Portuguese, I'm from Benfica but was always aware of the career of Raul Meireles in Porto, great player, a good midfielder, also plays with our selection, I am very happy for a Portuguese integrate my favorite team in England! =) I hope he has luck at Anfield. Hugs from Portugal!

By the way, sorry for some mistakes in my english = /

Hey friend!

More info please. Despite him playing for your biggest rivals you rate him then?

The problem is that theres so much negativity around the club because of the hierarchy that we tend to be pessimistic about any signing no matter how decent it seems.

I'll give Merieles a clean slate at LFC just like all of our other signing and hope it works out.

Never rated him, pray to fuck that he turns out good, i like Roy but not happy about this signing having watched him play for quite some time, thought he was signing for United at one stage and was delighted. Jebus!!! Really wanna be wrong here

Miserable fucker you aren't ya!

Seen this guy many times over the years in the champs league and he always seemed like a bits and pieces type player and I could never figure out quite what he did a bit like his compatriot Tiago. However in the last two seasons or so he started to catch my eye with some astute passing, excellent off the ball movement and an excellent shot. In fact it probably coincided with Lucho leaving Porto, Raul had to take more responsibility. Anyway whatever it was it did the trick, he's an excellent player.

Now for Ruiz or Toivonen, Inler (If we sell Lucas I'd prefer him over Lass and Mo Diarra, better passer whilst being almost as good defensively) and a LB. I'm not going to say Konchesky as this potential transfer has come out of the blue then it is possible that Roy could have a LB up his sleeve.

Seen this guy many times over the years in the champs league and he always seemed like a bits and pieces type player and I could never figure out quite what he did a bit like his compatriot Tiago. However in the last two seasons or so he started to catch my eye with some astute passing, excellent off the ball movement and an excellent shot. In fact it probably coincided with Lucho leaving Porto, Raul had to take more responsibility. Anyway whatever it was it did the trick, he's an excellent player.

Now for Ruiz or Toivonen, Inler (If we sell Lucas I'd prefer him over Lass and Mo Diarra, better passer whilst being almost as good defensively) and a LB. I'm not going to say Konchesky as this potential transfer has come out of the blue then it is possible that Roy could have a LB up his sleeve.

You can think that if you want lad - but he's coming. Get used to it.

You have just given me the opening line of my speech when I first bump into him coming out of the trendy bars I attend Slaters

"Hello Raul. I am prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt I extended to Paul Stewart & Torben Piechnik. Good day to you Sir."

Surely he will have heard of Stewart and Piechnik?:biggrin: