You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rumour has it........

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how much Agbonlahor would cost? Straight swap for Lucas?

He`s fuckin shit, he`s just a speed freak with no brain,even their fans give him a hard time. i`d have Carew anyday, i think he`s fuckin class, strong as fuck and has got a brain. And if a Sheikh buys us out, whatever it takes to get Ashley Young!

Let's get Walter Smith, then!;)

Fucking hate MON, his jumped-up antics with his tracky on the touchline.

I'm not suggesting that we should get him as our manager, just that seven trophies and a European final in 5 years isn't the record of someone who is a bottler. He's just not done that well at Villa.

He`s fuckin shit, he`s just a speed freak with no brain,even their fans give him a hard time. i`d have Carew anyday, i think he`s fuckin class, strong as fuck and has got a brain. And if a Sheikh buys us out, whatever it takes to get Ashley Young!

Have you seen any football from the last six months? He's been bollocks this season.

Guest PurpleNose
I'm not suggesting that we should get him as our manager, just that seven trophies and a European final in 5 years isn't the record of someone who is a bottler. He's just not done that well at Villa.

In Scotland.

That he bottled.

In Scotland.

That he bottled.

It doesn't matter that it's Scotland. He still won three league titles, thus showing that he doesn't always run out of steam or "bottle it" as Code72 puts it. He's also won division titles with Wycombe when he was in charge there including two consecutive promotions, showing that he can manage a team to sustain two seasons of consecutive "not bottling".

Guest PurpleNose
It doesn't matter that it's Scotland. He still won three league titles, thus showing that he doesn't always run out of steam or "bottle it" as Code72 puts it. He's also won division titles with Wycombe when he was in charge there including two consecutive promotions, showing that he can manage a team to sustain two seasons of consecutive "not bottling".

It certainly does matter. The league is appalling and only has two clubs.

I really don't see how winning the Conference 17 years ago is much proof of anything.

He's a very average manager. Luckily for him he's plying his trade in England. Where you can manage almost anyone apart from the top four without a shred of tactical nouse. He's spent bucket loads at Villa and achieved nothing.

McLeish and Strachan have better records in Scotland with Old Firm teams.

Thay also didn't have decent money to spend like O'Neill did.

It certainly does matter. The league is appalling and only has two clubs.

I really don't see how winning the Conference 17 years ago is much proof of anything.

He's a very average manager. Luckily for him he's plying his trade in England. Where you can manage almost anyone apart from the top four without a shred of tactical nouse. He's spent bucket loads at Villa and achieved nothing.

Neither of you are understanding what I'm trying to say, nor reading the post that I was responding to. I'm not saying that O'Neill's record at Celtic and Wycombe makes him a great manager who has achieved great things.

Code72 accused Martin O'Neill of being a bottler because his Villa team has faded towards the end of the season. If you look at his Villa career in isolation, then it looks like he has a point. However, O'Neill has won the division that he was in several times, so is capable of sustaining league form over the course of a season.

The point I'm making is not about the level that he's managed at, or the situations at those individual clubs, it's about whether he is capable of sustaining league form over a season regardless of what level we're talking about. I've cited two different clubs that he's done that at in two different countries.

Guest PurpleNose
Neither of you are understanding what I'm trying to say, nor reading the post that I was responding to. I'm not saying that O'Neill's record at Celtic and Wycombe makes him a great manager who has achieved great things.

Code72 accused Martin O'Neill of being a bottler because his Villa team has faded towards the end of the season. If you look at his Villa career in isolation, then it looks like he has a point. However, O'Neill has won the division that he was in several times, so is capable of sustaining league form over the course of a season.

The point I'm making is not about the level that he's managed at, or the situations at those individual clubs, it's about whether he is capable of sustaining league form over a season regardless of what level we're talking about. I've cited two different clubs that he's done that at in two different countries.

Only because that is how you have defined not bottling it.

Guest TesticleOReilly
He hasn't bottled anything, soft arse. He's got Villa from a lower league team, to pushing for Europe every year.

They're a mid-table team, not lower league, and he's pushed for Europe the last 2 years (and that's UEFA, not European Cup). That's hardly every year. He's also done it by spending mahoosive amounts of Lerner's cash. It's not an achievement.

Guest PurpleNose
He hasn't bottled anything, soft arse. He's got Villa from a lower league team, to pushing for Europe every year.

Oh right. My mistake.

Guest PurpleNose
Actually, I'm defining "not bottling it" as the opposite of how Code72 had defined "bottling it" in his post that I was responding to.

Ok. You're both wrong.

Would you have him here?

He is a snidey fucking goblin, he is a bottler, he is as anti-football as a manager can get. Even Allardyce's teams play better football. He'd be a good match with the owners, though.

And Scotland is ranked behind Gabon in the world rankings. There's a great manager there, Médard Lisadusu, why not get him? I've heard that he's an excellent motivator and man management is his forte.