You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Furmedge

Afternoon you helpful nerds.

Can someone please help out a wi-fi, internet novice here? I've come to my upgrade time on my phone contract and I'm looking to upgrade to an iphone.

I was thinking of moving from Orange to o2 as they have a bigger allowance on their wi-fi and mobile browsing, which to be fair I would hammer. Orange have 750 meg, o2 says unlimited but I've heard somewhere that it's 1 gig.

Just got off the phone to Orange who say that I won't use 750 meg, the usual stuff to get me to upgrade with them. The bird said that if I use BT Openzone or any other wi-fi hotspot this doesn't go towards my totals (when it clearly says Separate Fair Usage policies of 750MB / Month apply to both

BT Openzone Wi-Fi and Mobile Internet Browsing) so I'm not sure if she's telling me the truth or porkie pies.

I would only use my iphone on wi-fi I imagine, as I have internet access at home and work on PC's, and I spend most of my time at either one of those places, and have wi-fi at home. The mobile browsing I will use if I'm bored out and about or sitting on a train.

So I ask, should I give in to temptation today and upgrade at the Orange shop in town and probably get a huge bill at the end of each month, or should I wait for o2 when my contract expires in May?

and I spend most of my time either at work or home, and have wi-fi at home

Edited by Furmedge

Think I answered one of my questions, from their T&C's;

Inclusive WiFi - use of BT Openzone hotspots in the UK only . Fair Usage policy of 750MB applies . Usage above 750MB per month may result in suspension of Wifi services and/or suspension of your account. The 750MB Fair Usage Policy does not apply when using your iPhone on domestic WiFi. Note however that some domestic broadband packages have download limits and customers should be aware that using the iPhone to access the web through domestic WiFi will contribute to domestic data usage.

This is even after speaking to a 2nd person at Orange who said I could use BT Openzone free of charge.

Am I seriously going to go over my allowance?

At home you'll be using your own Wi-Fi. That won't count towards your usage, is that what you mean?

Out and about, 750MB sounds like it should be enough as long as you aren't streaming radio off the internet the whole time.

Someone who knows more will be able to answer for definite, i wouldn't know because they charge extortionate amounts for bill pay phones in this shit hole of a country.

Guest ShoePiss
Think I answered one of my questions, from their T&C's;

This is even after speaking to a 2nd person at Orange who said I could use BT Openzone free of charge.

Am I seriously going to go over my allowance?

The data plan here is unlimited but they do log your 3g usage, I'll have a look at my bill and let you know what mine is. I use 3g a fair amount away from the house.

Guest ShoePiss

This month I'm at around 150MB which is including a lot of internet radio listening in the car. You'll be fine and will probably find it hard to get to 750MB seeing as you have wifi at home and work....

Cheers chaps, upgraded this afternoon onto the iphone with orange. Apparently (according to the salesman) the BT Openzone is free for 12 months on Orange so I'm happy with that. Also upgraded to unlimited texts which has been reduced to a fiver on Orange.

I have my Uni and Personal Email accounts hooked up, I stream the odd bit of Last FM , Youtube videos and go on the internet practically every day too and from Uni/Work as well as download the odd tune over 3G.

I use up about 350MB a month, and that's including the usage over WIFI. Honestly, 750MB should be enough, but perhaps only if you have access to Wifi.

I have an iPhone on o2, is there a limit? And if so how do I see how much Ive used?

They have an acceptable usage policy apparently, but I've never been able to find it.

You can find out your data usage on the phone.

Settings > General > Usage

At the bottom of that screen, there's a reset usage button. You'll have to remember to do that for every billing interval.

I had an iPhone on O2 and the tarrif included unlimited data and that's what it was.

I never had a extra bill on top of the line rental because of using the net, email, youtube, lastfm etc. Some months I'd hammer it, others I wouldn't.

It was a pretty good deal data wise.

I think the only thing they charge on top for is tethering but I'm sure someone has already worked out how to use the iPhone as mobile broadband and without paying more!

• 4 weeks later...

Apple holding iPhone OS 4 event, April 8th

Yes folks -- the world is turning upside down. Apple has announced an iPhone OS 4 event on April 8th at 10AM PT for a "sneak peek of the next generation of iPhone OS software." So if you're wondering about the future of the platform... your answers will appear sooner than you think. The team collectively dropped an "OMG" when we saw this news, as it's pretty unusual to see such a big event coming from Apple right on the heels of something like the iPad launch. Of course we'll be there -- at Apple's Infinite Loop campus in Cupertino -- live and direct, providing the liveblogging coverage you know and love. [/quoteIT]

Source

• 2 weeks later...