You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Aquilani

ReddOrDedd

But he is pretty shit.

But he isn’t. He’s better then Spearing, Adam, Henderson (currently) and Shelvey (currently). He now is no longer perennially injured like Stevie seems to be, so by re-joining us he would immediately become our best midfielder, unless Gerrard can somehow shake all these injuries.

And his ridiculously poor fitness levels. He makes Maxi Rodriguez look like the energizer bunny!

Ermm, no he hasn’t. He played 34 games for Juve last term, and this year had played 25 for Milan before they stuck him in the stands to prevent the automatic by out clause.

You know you can actually admit that Aquilani is a good player without having to wave flags of support for past managers or other people?

We would have done better this year if we'd kepy Aquilani. People can jump and shout all they want, but he would have improved our insipid midfield hugely. It's just like how certain people still jump and shout that Gareth Barry is shite, while Barry is about to win the league and with the vast majority of City fans including him in their top 3 players of the season. I heard Noel Gallagher recently saying on football focus that he WAS their player of the season.

People need to judge a player on the player; not on who he was apparently going to replace, or who signed him, or what he represented. It's like a bunch of teenagers dumped by their girlfriend in here at times.

Aquilani is a very good player, and had we actually shown that we wanted to keep him, then he would have been a big asset to us this season.

Guest TK-421
Awaits incoming.

Haha. It's gotta be true though. Rafa wanted him to help us in the league.. And he's about to win it.

A lot of people mark the day Rafa wanted to replace xabi with gaz baz as the day Rafa lost it.

I mark it as the day that the Kop finally disappeared up its own arse for good, consumed by an instant gratification sky sports ethos. The club lost a lot of its identity during those dark times. The kop thinking it knew better than a European cup and twice la liga winning manager? Puhlease.

But he isn’t. He’s better then Spearing, Adam, Henderson (currently) and Shelvey (currently). He now is no longer perennially injured like Stevie seems to be, so by re-joining us he would immediately become our best midfielder, unless Gerrard can somehow shake all these injuries.

Is right.

Haha. It's gotta be true though. Rafa wanted him to help us in the league.. And he's about to win it.

A lot of people mark the day Rafa wanted to replace xabi with gaz baz as the day Rafa lost it.

I mark it as the day that the Kop finally disappeared up its own arse for good, consumed by an instant gratification sky sports ethos. The club lost a lot of its identity during those dark times. The kop thinking it knew better than a European cup and twice la liga winning manager? Puhlease.

spot on

Ermm, no he hasn’t. He played 34 games for Juve last term, and this year had played 25 for Milan before they stuck him in the stands to prevent the automatic by out clause.

You know you can actually admit that Aquilani is a good player without having to wave flags of support for past managers or other people?

We would have done better this year if we'd kepy Aquilani. People can jump and shout all they want, but he would have improved our insipid midfield hugely. It's just like how certain people still jump and shout that Gareth Barry is shite, while Barry is about to win the league and with the vast majority of City fans including him in their top 3 players of the season. I heard Noel Gallagher recently saying on football focus that he WAS their player of the season.

People need to judge a player on the player; not on who he was apparently going to replace, or who signed him, or what he represented. It's like a bunch of teenagers dumped by their girlfriend in here at times.

Aquilani is a very good player, and had we actually shown that we wanted to keep him, then he would have been a big asset to us this season.

For me it's a simple question (if he were to come back) would he improve the current team - Yes for me.

There has been a lot re-written about that whole saga, as nearly all footy fans turn into screaming brain dead girls when it comes to football issues. They can be the brightest of the bright in their everyday life, but once football comes into it, the vast majority become dribbling morons completely unable or flat out refusing to see what’s in front of their face.

Regardless of how people want to change history, the simple fact is that Alonso was not brilliant for about 18 months. This was partly down to injury, and a bit of a drop in form. Basically, the proof was in the pudding that we had not challenged for the title with him in our midfield, and only Juventus at £13m were somewhat interested in him when Rafa wanted to sell. But with no title challenge yet again after 2008, something had to change in our engine room. We had 3 key midfielders. Gerrard, Mascherano and Alonso. At that moment in time, if you were getting rid of any of them, then it was Alonso. People can disagree and shout and scream, but I think if you step back and look at it not as a Liverpool fan, then you can see how Rafa came to the decision he did. It may in teh long term have proved to be the wrong decision, but you can see how he arrived at it. Of course, something did dramatically change, and that was Alonso’s’ form, and more importantly the partnership of Gerrard and Torres.

But when wanting to move on Alonso, Rafa decided on Barry. And football fans been football fans, there is no grey areas, and so Barry was immediately deemed to be shite and it was crazy. Of course, that was just because of who he was replacing, and not based on any actual fact.

The fact Barry has gone on to be a key midfielder in what will, barring a right fuck up, be a title winning team, points to how good the lad is.

There is no disputing Alonso’s last season with us though. I suppose what annoys me is people say Rafa forced him out, yet Rafa clearly wanted him to stay after his great last season, and when he was being forced out the year before, he was clearly able to put up with it for another year when he realised the lack of good teams in for him. (which also paints a very clear picture to the lads form prior)

Now, with hindsight, it is easy to say Rafa was wrong to want to move on Alonso. But I remember loads of fans saying at the time that maybe Alonso should be sacrificed to raise money, and to freshen things up as we simply were not challenging for the title with the team we had.

Who knows what would have happened if we’d got Barry? Gerrard clearly was in a huff the following season having lost Alonso, but maybe by getting his good mate Barry (Who Gerrard was desperate for us to buy) he would have kept his head up and maybe we would have pushed on and won the title? Who knows? But the hysterical nonsense and promotion of Alonso to God like status has been nothing short of comical.

It became about who were the main players as opposed to the actual plan. The people who hated Rafa and wanted him out, now were able to re-write history with ease and push on with their campaigns. A campaign that has now shown to have set this club back on the pitch almost as much as H&G set us back off the pitch.

I have no doubt in my mind that were this to be happening now, and Dalglish was making the exact same decision based on the exact facts that Rafa had at his disposal in the summer of 2008, that the same people whimpering now, would be backing Dalglish. You just have to look at the total backing of Dalglish signing an injured Carroll for £35m, compared to the disgust at Rafa signing an injured midfielder for £20m.

Anyway, I expect the usuals to come on and re-write history and tell us that Alonso was in fact awesome from 2006-2008 and Rafa is to blame more the H&G, and then neg me with bitchy little girly comments. But that’s the nature of the half-beast.

Rafa made plenty of mistakes in his time here. The initial idea of selling Alonso in 2008 has shown to be a mistake, but it's a mistake many would have made I think who were trying to take teh club on to the next step.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Barry's season at Man City has fully vindicated Rafa's decision to pursue him as a replacement for Alonso.

I reckon some of the other City players might have had a hand it it. Would have liked Barry and Alonso.

Rafa made plenty of mistakes in his time here. The initial idea of selling Alonso in 2008 has shown to be a mistake, but it's a mistake many would have made I think who were trying to take teh club on to the next step.

Great post, Johnny.

Just on this last bit, yep hindsight may have ruled the roost and people's opinions changing over time as thing played out. But, for me, it was about upside and I never saw anything in Barry that was close to Alonso at his best. Agreed he was poor for two seasons and even if I thought at the time it wasn't a bad idea to sell Alonso, I never thought replacing him with an £18m Barry was the right move. However things have subsequently worked out for both of those players and whether Rafa was proven right or wrong.

There has been a lot re-written about that whole saga, as nearly all footy fans turn into screaming brain dead girls when it comes to football issues. They can be the brightest of the bright in their everyday life, but once football comes into it, the vast majority become dribbling morons completely unable or flat out refusing to see what’s in front of their face.

Regardless of how people want to change history, the simple fact is that Alonso was not brilliant for about 18 months. This was partly down to injury, and a bit of a drop in form. Basically, the proof was in the pudding that we had not challenged for the title with him in our midfield, and only Juventus at £13m were somewhat interested in him when Rafa wanted to sell. But with no title challenge yet again after 2008, something had to change in our engine room. We had 3 key midfielders. Gerrard, Mascherano and Alonso. At that moment in time, if you were getting rid of any of them, then it was Alonso. People can disagree and shout and scream, but I think if you step back and look at it not as a Liverpool fan, then you can see how Rafa came to the decision he did. It may in teh long term have proved to be the wrong decision, but you can see how he arrived at it. Of course, something did dramatically change, and that was Alonso’s’ form, and more importantly the partnership of Gerrard and Torres.

But when wanting to move on Alonso, Rafa decided on Barry. And football fans been football fans, there is no grey areas, and so Barry was immediately deemed to be shite and it was crazy. Of course, that was just because of who he was replacing, and not based on any actual fact.

The fact Barry has gone on to be a key midfielder in what will, barring a right fuck up, be a title winning team, points to how good the lad is.

There is no disputing Alonso’s last season with us though. I suppose what annoys me is people say Rafa forced him out, yet Rafa clearly wanted him to stay after his great last season, and when he was being forced out the year before, he was clearly able to put up with it for another year when he realised the lack of good teams in for him. (which also paints a very clear picture to the lads form prior)

Now, with hindsight, it is easy to say Rafa was wrong to want to move on Alonso. But I remember loads of fans saying at the time that maybe Alonso should be sacrificed to raise money, and to freshen things up as we simply were not challenging for the title with the team we had.

Who knows what would have happened if we’d got Barry? Gerrard clearly was in a huff the following season having lost Alonso, but maybe by getting his good mate Barry (Who Gerrard was desperate for us to buy) he would have kept his head up and maybe we would have pushed on and won the title? Who knows? But the hysterical nonsense and promotion of Alonso to God like status has been nothing short of comical.

It became about who were the main players as opposed to the actual plan. The people who hated Rafa and wanted him out, now were able to re-write history with ease and push on with their campaigns. A campaign that has now shown to have set this club back on the pitch almost as much as H&G set us back off the pitch.

I have no doubt in my mind that were this to be happening now, and Dalglish was making the exact same decision based on the exact facts that Rafa had at his disposal in the summer of 2008, that the same people whimpering now, would be backing Dalglish. You just have to look at the total backing of Dalglish signing an injured Carroll for £35m, compared to the disgust at Rafa signing an injured midfielder for £20m.

Anyway, I expect the usuals to come on and re-write history and tell us that Alonso was in fact awesome from 2006-2008 and Rafa is to blame more the H&G, and then neg me with bitchy little girly comments. But that’s the nature of the half-beast.

A perfectly sensible, cogent and well put reasoned points in that.

Can't argue with it really - but I bet some do

Guest TK-421
Four years later in a different team entirely?

It's a bit of a stretch for me. and countered hugely by the fact Alonso played much better for us in 2008/2009 than anything I have ever seen from Barry.

Fully vindicated.

I would say that once Rafa tried to sell him and Alonso found out nobody really wanted him that was a turning point, it shocked him and he got his arse into gear, that's when we really saw the player he has become

Barry and Alonso would have been a fantastic midfield partnership with Gerrard and Torres up front

He doesn't want to play for us and Milan don't want to pay for him. He'll be on loan again next season before being released on a free.

He doesn’t want to play for us because we’ve very clearly said we don’t want him. If we were to reverse that rather stupid stand point then I think he would happily play for us. He was happy to come here in the first place.

I would say that once Rafa tried to sell him and Alonso found out nobody really wanted him that was a turning point, it shocked him and he got his arse into gear, that's when we really saw the player he has become

Barry and Alonso would have been a fantastic midfield partnership with Gerrard and Torres up front

never wanted barry

mascherano, alonso, gerrard, torres. fucking boss