You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh and lets not forget it was Benitez who bought Babel for £11m and Keane for £20m then bombs them out, so if we condemn the player perhaps we should condemn the manager? but of course, we can't do that and have to HOPE and trust that he sacks his scouting chums and learns from the mistakes.

To be fair, the manager has a huge amount of trust and confidence in Kuyt which can't be said about Babel. Which is what Rebel refers to I think.

However, when he had the chances I don't think Babel did enough to warrant that trust and confidence. In fact he wanted to go back to Ajax on a loan at the start of the season. This is the kind of attitude I don't want to see in a Liverpool player.

Good point Carra. Confidence is a word Rafa uses a lot. There was another thread somewhere talking about Rafa building a team of captains - a team of leaders - people he can rely on. If you were looking at players to fit into this category, then you would mention; Mash, Kuyt, Stevie, Nando, Carra and Xabi...I don't think the name Ryan Babel would come into the equation.

He is undoubtedly a guy with talent, but if he can't produce it regularly then I wouldnt' say no to an early exit - if we had the cash, you would say a loan move would be good.

hopefully we will get decent money for him, hasn't lived up to his potential at all and his attitude has to be called into question to be fair as well. I would have expected dirk to be a bit part player this season but he is someone who continually steps up and takes on responsibility, can babel say he has this about him?

oh and lets not forget it was Benitez who bought Babel for £11m and Keane for £20m then bombs them out, so if we condemn the player perhaps we should condemn the manager? but of course, we can't do that and have to HOPE and trust that he sacks his scouting chums and learns from the mistakes.

Of course people can criticize him the same way fergie will get slammed for the money spent on people like nani, every manager makes mistakes in the transfer market but should you must recognize how we are improving with him in charge

Of course people can criticize him the same way fergie will get slammed for the money spent on people like nani, every manager makes mistakes in the transfer market but should you must recognize how we are improving with him in charge

I agree but he has to learn from his mistakes though it's that simple really. he can't carry on buying players and bombing them out otherwise we get no where, thankfully i doubt he'll do that

If Rafa has one flaw, it´s that he is not very good at building players confidence. I mean he should have given Babel a good run in a team when he first came here, to show what he really can do. He looked promising at first imo. Only after that he would have been ready to start learning a bit of defending and earning his place in the team.

Now he lost all interest after a while, because his confidence wasn´t very good to start with and maybe he would have actually wanted to go to Arsenal in the first place...

If Rafa has one flaw, it´s that he is not very good at building players confidence. I mean he should have given Babel a good run in a team when he first came here, to show what he really can do. He looked promising at first imo. Only after that he would have been ready to start learning a bit of defending and earning his place in the team.

Now he lost all interest after a while, because his confidence wasn´t very good to start with and maybe he would have actually wanted to go to Arsenal in the first place...

Most of the rest of the team manage to play with confidence.

Think we're being too hasty in letting him go. He's a good player. He needs a to grow up a bit now, but we havent shown much patience.

Its a strange one, as he's not in the side, how do you approach replacing him? are we just looking for a cheap mediocre type player whos happy with 20mins a week?

I would like to know why you think that.

The problem with Babel is his attitude. I wouldn't slate Rafa for buying him at all, as anyone could see the potential he had/has. I was very excited about him when he arrived. But the only way to turn potential into quality is with hard work and mental toughness. Babel has proven throughout the season that he isn't willing to step up to the challenge. Instead of putting his head down, working hard, and taking his chances when they come, he has resorted to whinging in the papers about not getting what he wants. The final straw for me was when he complained about his lack of minutes while saying he was perfectly happy with his performances this season! Has he watched himself?! He should NOT be happy with mediocre showings.

Plenty of people say he hasn't been given enough playing time, but how do you go out to win games with your strongest XI and also give more playing time to players who aren't up to par??? You don't. It is up to those players to EARN a spot. Babel not only hasn't performed in a way to earn a spot, but he hasn't shown any desire to put forth the effort needed to do so. He wants a starting spot handed to him on a silver platter and that is not the kind of player we need.

He'd have ended up a better player at a club not desperate for the finished article and needing to win the league.

Arsenal would have nurtured him.

I'm disappointed as I was really happy when he signed.

You are lucky I need to recharge my negginator or else I would have had to red you face off for that comment.

I agree but he has to learn from his mistakes though it's that simple really. he can't carry on buying players and bombing them out otherwise we get no where, thankfully i doubt he'll do that

2 seasons is hardly bombing him out though? I'd rather we had a manager who was prepared to cut his losses than be stubborn like houllier and keep playing the same old shite. I know what your saying though we have gone through a hell of a lot of players under rafa