You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this whole "not good enough for the PL" thing apply to Kuyt and Rafa too?

At this moment in time, no it doesn't. As Kuyt is not part of an ongoing transfer saga and Rafa's position is safe for the time being as the season has not even started.

Does this whole "not good enough for the PL" thing apply to Kuyt and Rafa too?

Completely agree with that, these high standards Xabi is being judged with should apply to EVERYONE within the club, as i've said on numerous occassions if Xabi is getting booted out over Premiership performances there should be at least 7 or 8 ahead of him in the queue.

How is it bollocks? if he wasn't cut for the premiership he would of been fobbed off by now.

The fact that his manager is trying to 'fob him off' now doesn't register with you at all then?

What does it matter that he's been here for four seasons? Risse was at the club for twice as long, doesn't mean he was good enough.

(i'm not comparing Xabi With Risse by the way, just making a point)

Completely agree with that, these high standards Xabi is being judged with should apply to EVERYONE within the club, as i've said on numerous occassions if Xabi is getting booted out over Premiership performances there should be at least 7 or 8 ahead of him in the queue.

Top class belter!

Everything is tactical with Rafa, taking Gerrard off in the derby and replacing him with a Brasilian, or playing Kuyt on the right, you're radar is not working if you think he made his decisions for any other reasons. He is not interested in personalities.

Nobody is questioning Alonso's ability, just his mobility.

The fact that his manager is trying to 'fob him off' now doesn't register with you at all then?

What does it matter that he's been here for four seasons? Risse was at the club for twice as long, doesn't mean he was good enough.

Fair point seems a bit of a pointless argument though anyway, anyone who saw Xabi is first 2 years here wouldn't be saying he "couldn't cut the premiership"

That you claiming that Xabi is a premiership type player simply because he's been here for four years is bollocks.

Alonso has finished 5,3,3,4 in his four seasons here being a vital part in our team, Barry has finished 6, 6, 8, 8, 16, 6, 10, 16, 11, 6 in his 10 seasons for Villa being an average player in an average team his whole career.

How on earth have you reached the conclusion he is better suited to the league, is it because he passes worse, tackles worse and concedes more fouls and by that is a typical British PL player? :whistle:

Top class belter!

Everything is tactical with Rafa, taking Gerrard off in the derby and replacing him with a Brasilian, or playing Kuyt on the right, you're radar is not working if you think he made his decisions for any other reasons. He is not interested in personalities.

Nobody is questioning Alonso's ability, just his mobility.

Fair enough but the main argument thrown up by most people supporting

Xabi's sale is the tiresome "he hasn't preformed in the league" which doesn't stand up.

If Rafa is booting out Xabi for tactical reasons and replacing him with a player who is inferior in every way lets see how successful that is at the end of the season ;)

So Rafa has suddenly found the formula to win the PL now then, could this not be another example of the fact its rather the opposite thats true.

Alonso has finished 5,3,3,4 in his four seasons here being a vital part in our team, Barry has finished 6, 6, 8, 8, 16, 6, 10, 16, 11, 6 in his 10 seasons for Villa being an average player in an average team his whole career.

How on earth have you reached the conclusion he is better suited to the league, is it because he passes worse, tackles worse and concedes more fouls and by that is a typical British PL player? :whistle:

First off, Alonso was not a vital part of our team last season, he was overlooked by the manager for a starting place on many occasions. Whether or not he should have been is s differnt argument all together.

Secondly, I noticed you missed goals scored and assists of your little list. How convenient.

Does anyone remember some of the supposed "ordinary" players we have had in some of our Championship winning sides? The ones who quietly slotted in, got on with their jobs so the "better" players could get on with theirs.

Were those 'ordinary' players our second/third highest transfer fee?

Secondly, I noticed you missed goals scored and assists of your little list. How convenient.

Alonso plays deep in the holding role, Barry plays in the Frank Lampard role for Villa. Why would you use goals etc as a comparison? Mascherano even plays further forward than Alonso. Get your facts right.

So we buy Barry who is known for his mobility?

Yes, because he is faster and gives the ball quicker to others who can actually do something with it that might result in a goal. He is also left footed which means he can patrol the left flank and fill in down that side, another thing Xabi cannot do. He offers more of an attacking threat and not just 'look at me' passes which are not very effective at all in the Premiership.

Lastly, you're probably one of the people who hadn't even heard of Alonso before Rafa brought him he but you now want to question his judgement because he wants to make us more effective in the league and is prepared to make sacrifices as required.

Also Xabi said that others should be sold before Alonso but not all our players are sellable. It's alright in your Ivory tower guys, listening to your IPODS up where I cannot cut off your heads but Rafa has to make the decisions for next year, the reason he has these ideas is which seem strange to you is the same reason he has his job and the same reason for his track record.

Not saying no-one can debate but this is the Crouch scenario all over again with the same types of idiots who know better and are going to be humbled.

How many times must Rafa make people looks silly before the internet dweebs and journo's learn?

For all we know Rafa might have brought an underrated Xabi in to help a weak squad, knowing that when we were strong enough to challenge, he could sell for a profit. As with Crouch. Remember?

So Rafa has suddenly found the formula to win the PL now then, could this not be another example of the fact its rather the opposite thats true.

Where did I say he has?

I've got serious doubts about whether Rafa will ever deliver the league, but at the minute he's the manager and he's doing things his way, which is his right. If this transfer blows up in his face chances are he'll be out of a job next summer so I don't imagine it's a decision he's come lightly.

Alonso plays deep in the holding role, Barry plays in the Frank Lampard role for Villa. Why would you use goals etc as a comparison? Mascherano even plays further forward than Alonso. Get your facts right.

Then why would you use tackling as a comparison? Same difference.

And your one to talk about getting facts right, given that you generally make yours up as you go along.

Gareth Barry doesn't play in the Lampard role at all in my opinion. Villa often play with a front 3 of Carew, Agbonlohor and Young, while Chelsea play with Drogba as the lone striker thus giving Lampard the licence to support him.

Barry plays further forward with Reo-Coker holding, he certainly doesn't play in the Alonso role.

Rash, Xabi......For the love of God will you just shut the fuck up?

We know what you think about this transfer. Even Barak O fucking Bama knows your views on Gareth Barry, why do you still go on and on and on about it?! It's fucking ruining this place.