You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gary Mac's return?

WaltonRed

I agree to an extent Stu but having Rafa and plenty of his appointments from overseas puts pressure on the board to ensure the fans have someone they can relate to on the staff if you get me?

Gary Mac would still be Coventry manager now if his wife hadnt of fallen ill again so I think its unfair to say he only managed for a season in the championship is a bit harsh.

Bringing in someone from Sporting for example sounds brilliant in theory but would they come?

And would they understand the mind set of a teenage english lad - I think that is just as important.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Stu Monty:

Is he? Are Milan going to be calling him in to run their academy, or Bayern? That's the question you should be asking when names like Steve McMahon, Mark Wright, John Barnes, Gary, Mac and Jan Molby are mentioned.

Obviously not. But if you take a look at the coach of Milan's Primavera (that's their U18s ) you'll find that it is Filippo Galli, their former defender who got the job as soon as he quit playing. As did Franco Baresi (coach of the Beretti / U16s) and practically everyone on the coaching staff at their academy.

The same applies to other clubs such as Roma who, despite their trashing by United, have got some talented young players coming through. Their academy is headed by Bruno Conti, their former midfielder who got the job once he stopped playing.

Looking at Arsenal, Liam Brady got the job at the head of their academy after he had failed as manager at both Celtic and Brighton. He had no previous experience of managing in the youth set-up.

It doesn't mean that it is the ideal scenario but rather that many clubs do it.

As for Alex Miller, I believe that he was the coach of their U21 side when Craig Brown was boss.

Cheers

Paul

Brilliant. I just hope that dazzling CV doesn't deter the development director of Sporting Lisbon from applying.

"What experience do you have with youth development coaching?"

"Erm, I used to watch the reserves play at Coventry?"

"Thank you Gary, we'll call you"

I'm not saying that McAllister might not be a great coach but why does wanting "World Class" seem to go out the window when it comes to coaching staff and we suddenly want the manager of Kidderminster or Blackpool becuse they were decent ex-players?

So who would you suggest then?

So who would you suggest then?

Whoever is the best we can persuade to come. I'm sure Rafa and his contacts would know who the best is. Rushian says that it is all about the set up and to a degree he's right but surely the man who is appointed in this role will be a major factor on influencing the set up in a the best way.

Guest Joe_Singh

Gary Mac was in line for Abletts job but the time wasn't quite right for him. I think he will be bought in at some capacity and i'm sure he'll eventually work himself up.