You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team one up at Southampton

Guest Gazmo25

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool's youngsters are into the final of the FA Youth Cup after goalkeeper David Roberts emulated Jerzy Dudek's Istanbul heroics by saving two penalties in a heroic 5-4 shoot-out win at St Mary's.

Liverpool were seconds away from reaching the final in normal time but an own goal from Jack Hobbs in the fourth minute of stoppage time earned Southampton an equaliser. It was so unfortunate for Hobbs who had a magnificent match on the night and didn't deserve that moment of misfortune. A cross came in from the right hand side and Hobbs, on the stretch, turned the ball past his own goalkeeper David Roberts to earn the Saints a lifeline. That made the scoreline 3-3 on aggregate and forced extra-time.

Then after the aggregate scoreline of 4-4 at the end of extra-time, Liverpool won the penalty shoot-out thanks to the brilliance of Roberts.

Paul Barratt, Charlie Barnett, Michael Nardiello, Adam Hammill and Stephen Darby all scored from the spot for Liverpool

Liverpool were magnificent on the night and deserved to win the game in a match that had so many twists and turns. Steve Heighway's team will now hope to match the Michael Owen/Jamie Carragher inspired team of 1996 that won the FA Youth Cup.

Then 10 minutes into the first period of extra-time David McGoldrick scored his second goal of the game from close range to put Southampton 3-1 up. However the young Reds kept fighting and Robbie Threlfall rose high from a corner to head home to make it 3-2 and the aggregate equaliser at 4-4.

Liverpool had played really well in the first half and things had looked rosy when Craig Lindfield gave them a fourth minute lead to make it 3-1 on aggregate. The outstanding Adam Hammill started the move and when Charlie Barnett threaded a superb through ball into Lindfield's path, the striker did the rest with a cool and composed finish.

Liverpool had the chances to increase their scoreline but Adam Hammill and Ryan Flynn were both denied by brilliant saves from Saints keeper Zach Jones.

Just past the hour mark Southampton equalised when Adam Lallana set up David McGoldrick who tapped in from close range.

The Reds then had to withstand incessant Southampton pressure in the second half as the home side threw everything but the kitchen sink at the Liverpool defence.

Craig Lindfield's seventh goal of the FA Youth Cup was enough to seal Liverpool's place in the final of the competition for the first time since a Michael Owen and Jamie Carragher inspired team lifted the trophy in 1996.

Steve Heighway's young heroes were excellent on the night against Southampton, on a freezing night at St Mary's, and thoroughly deserve the accolades that will come their way after this victory.

It took Liverpool's young starlets just three minutes to open the scoring and make it 3-1 on aggregate.

It is a wonderful achievement for Liverpool to make the final of the FA Youth Cup and the combination of home grown talent and Rafael Benitez's signings Jack Hobbs, Paul Anderson, Godwin Antwi and Miki Roque has worked a treat.

Liverpool Academy Director Steve Heighway made one change to his team from the first leg with Paul Barratt coming in to strengthen the midfield, in place of 16-year-old right winger Ben Parsonage.

As a team Liverpool were outstanding on the night and the players worked so hard for each other and were so desperate to reach the final of the FA Youth Cup.

Hammill was a constant menace to the Saints defence all night from the left wing and was denied a deserved goal in the second half when he was denied by a fine save from Zach Jones.

It was a fantastic game of football and the youngsters have done the club proud.

Southampton Youth: Jones, Hatch, Bale, Thomson, Lancashire, Lallana, Dyer, James, De Carvalho, McGoldrick, Dutton-Black.

Liverpool Youth: Roberts, Darby, Threlfall, Hobbs, Antwi, Barnett, Barratt, Flynn (Roque 96), Lindfield (Nardiello 84), Anderson (Ryan 78), Hammill. Subs not used: Mimms (GK), Burns.

Referee: P T Crossley

Liverpoolfc.tv man of the match:David Roberts. The hero in the penalty shoot-out, heroic display.

How come theres smilies in my post? I didnt put any in. Weird

hasn't the last few finals been shown live on TV or something...

Anyone know first leg date, would defo like to go...

NO DATES YET, THE SECOND LEG OF THE OTHER SEMI IS AT CITY ON THE 23RD.

WE ARE AT HOME FIRST LEG OF FINAL AND THE BOTH GAMES WILL BE ON SKY, CANT WAIT

NO DATES YET, THE SECOND LEG OF THE OTHER SEMI IS AT CITY ON THE 23RD.

WE ARE AT HOME FIRST LEG OF FINAL AND THE BOTH GAMES WILL BE ON SKY, CANT WAIT

Did I read right earlier someone saying we cant play at Anfield? That'd be dreadful for the lads if they get to a final and cant play a leg at Anfield

Did I read right earlier someone saying we cant play at Anfield? That'd be dreadful for the lads if they get to a final and cant play a leg at Anfield

I havent heard nothin, seems a bit strange, sure the Guiness hasnt took you over there, considerin it is paddy's day an tha.

It seems like we will meet city in the final. They won their first 2-3 after beating scum to get there.

From TLW 15 feb.:

"The reds u18 side missed the opportunity to go top of the table, as a last minute winner from Manchester City condemned John Owens’ side to a 2-1 defeat at the Academy this afternoon. The scoreline was very harsh on Liverpool, who dominated the game from start to finish."

Can our boys do it better this time ?

Il bet they will do that !

Guest Gazmo25

Only just logged back on, had it on Merseyside but they had allsorts of probs. Made up for them, really happy. There was an interview on Merseyside the other night with Heighway and he was talking about the youth team, saying that it is a fantastic achievement as a lot of these kids have been thrown together from different levels where as the likes of Southampton have had a settled side all the way through.

Pretty sure our game will be at Anfield as we were at home 10 years ago when we last won it and I seem to remember Everton's game being at Goodison when Rooney was in their youth team.

Obviously not all of these lads are going to make it at LFC but hopefully they will win this trophy and it will stand them in good stead for the rest of their career. Made up for them.

Get. In.

So proud of the boys. I know Dave's too modest to say this, but he told me in August/September that the U18 side coupled with a few quality players from the reserves squad had a great chance of going very far in the Youth Cup.

Both games will be live on Sky I believe.

I know Dave's too modest to say this, but he told me in August/September that the U18 side coupled with a few quality players from the reserves squad had a great chance of going very far in the Youth Cup.

Im sure Dunk will claim the same in the morning in his f*cking exclusive Insider... :wallbutt:

Get. In.

So proud of the boys. I know Dave's too modest to say this, but he told me in August/September that the U18 side coupled with a few quality players from the reserves squad had a great chance of going very far in the Youth Cup.

Both games will be live on Sky I believe.

Nothing to do with being modest Pete, I say that much shite that I never remember most of it. If you'd caught me on a different day I'd probably have predicted a first round exit!