You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What does Owen offer.............

Hermes

...................that Cisse doesn't.

Both have pace and can score goals. Both have poor technique and offer very little in general play apart from scoring.

But why should we sell a man who waited two years for his chance here and suffered a career threatening injury, then is played out of position when he's fit- to bring back a man who couldn't get out of here quick enough.

Plus we will probably lose money on both of them. Makes no sense to me. :wallbutt:

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't we have both? If Owen got injured we would be left with Moro and Crouch and they don't fill me with confidence.

Because Rafa bought Morientes and Crouch. He won't sell either and will play them rather than Cisse despite the overwhelming evidence that Morientes isn't up to it.

...................that Cisse doesn't.

Both have pace and can score goals. Both have poor technique and offer very little in general play apart from scoring.

But why should we sell a man who waited two years for his chance here and suffered a career threatening injury, then is played out of position when he's fit- to bring back a man who couldn't get out of here quick enough.

Plus we will probably lose money on both of them. Makes no sense to me. :wallbutt:

Exactly - Cisse is probably quicker nowadays, has chosen to be here, and lifts the players around him with his enthusiasm.

He's not the most technically gifted but he is a natural goalscorer. He will be effective in the PL and will scare the shit out of defenders.

And yes Morientes is the one we should get shot of if we have to sell someone - he hasn't shown any evidence of improvement or acclimatisation.

Fernando Morientes;

1998 Champions League winner (Real Madrid)

2000 Champions League winner (Real Madrid)

2002 Champions League winner (Real Madrid)

2001 Primera League Champions (Real Madrid

2003 Primera League Champions (Real Madrid)

04-05 Liverpool 3 Goals, 13 Games (-)

05-06 Liverpool 2 Games 2 Goals, 3 Games (Champions League)

Not wanting to defend him to much Dave but is this is the "overwhelming" evidence you are refering too?

Fernando Morientes;

1998 Champions League winner (Real Madrid)

2000 Champions League winner (Real Madrid)

2002 Champions League winner (Real Madrid)

2001 Primera League Champions (Real Madrid

2003 Primera League Champions (Real Madrid)

04-05 Liverpool 3 Goals, 13 Games (-)

05-06 Liverpool 2 Games 2 Goals, 3 Games (Champions League)

Not wanting to defend him to much Dave but is this is the "overwhelming" evidence you are refering too?

Look at his games in those seasons, half a season on average. If we're going to play players purely on past medals won why not play Ian Rush?

I honestly thought Morientes had the overall quality to come good for us this season, but I admiy I was wrong. He just doesn't look suited to English football, and we've seen no evidence thus far that he ever will be. Cisse is literally the last striker we should be shipping out to make way for Owen.

Cisse isnt as good a finisher as Owen however he's two yards quicker than Owen these days and he is by far a much better crosser than Owen will ever be.

Cisse is the future, Owen is the past

The other thing is Owen's injury record in picking up knocks and hamstrings in the cold english weather is also something to take into consideration

Hermes is spot on in that first post. What are the reasons for Owen wanting to come back to Liverpool?

1. His fucking precious England place and the World Cup at the end of this season?

2. His missus is pregnant again and probably prefers to be back home.

3. His profile does not guarantee him a place in the Madrid starting line up ie. he is not seen by Perez as a galactico (shittest word ever).

4. He'd ideally like to return to his home in Taffy land and we are in the ideal location.

Does he want to come back to Liverpool through love for the club? No he doesn't, because he couldn't wait to get out the door when Madrid came sniffing last year. He made his bed and I can't believe we would offer a penny over the fee he was sold for. If we do we really will prove to the entire world that we are the biggest suckers ever in the transfer market. £11m for Heskey, £10.5m for Diouf, both bought high, sold low. What geniuses Moores and Parry are.

I honestly thought Morientes had the overall quality to come good for us this season, but I admiy I was wrong. He just doesn't look suited to English football, and we've seen no evidence thus far that he ever will be. Cisse is literally the last striker we should be shipping out to make way for Owen.

Agreed Rafa bought Morientes to play the lone striker role which was indicated by the team selection for the league cup final, the only problem is he cant play that role in the PL and hence he has bought Crouch to now do that job, be very interesting to see if Morientes starts to sulk when Crouch plays at Spurs

I agree. I wholeheartedly stuck up for Moro when he arrived, give him a chance I said, let him have a decent run. Some people have a hidden agenda I fear and set out to discredit some players without giving them a fair go.

AFTER giving Moro a fair few games I am now forming an opinion that maybe he isn't up to it. It's still early days for him so I would like to see him given a chance until January.

Hermes is spot on in that first post. What are the reasons for Owen wanting to come back to Liverpool?

1. His fucking precious England place and the World Cup at the end of this season?

2. His missus is pregnant again and probably prefers to be back home.

3. His profile does not guarantee him a place in the Madrid starting line up ie. he is not seen by Perez as a galactico (shittest word ever).

4. He'd ideally like to return to his home in Taffy land and we are in the ideal location.

Does he want to come back to Liverpool through love for the club? No he doesn't, because he couldn't wait to get out the door when Madrid came sniffing last year. He made his bed and I can't believe we would offer a penny over the fee he was sold for. If we do we really will prove to the entire world that we are the biggest suckers ever in the transfer market. £11m for Heskey, £10.5m for Diouf, both bought high, sold low. What geniuses Moores and Parry are.

Remember his conversation with Perez last week? His preferred option would be to play for Real, his second to be at Liverpool. No change from last year.

I honestly get the impression that Rafa's mind has been changed by Moores/Parry and the friendship Gerrard and Carragher have with Owen.

It doesn't look like a football decision.

Got to agree again. I think Rafa has probably been impressed by what Owen has achieved at Madrid against the odds though. Rafa talks about wanting 'hungry' players in his squad - which Cisse clearly is and Owen by his own admission wasn't.

Would this topic have even arisen if Madrid hadn't signed two new strikers ???

I also smell a whiff of monty burns and SFX in this.

AFTER giving Moro a fair few games I am now forming an opinion that maybe he isn't up to it. It's still early days for him so I would like to see him given a chance until January.

Same here, I think he still offers something but he'd be behind Owen, Crouch and Cisse in my pecking order.

But I sense Madrid-style politics are in action.

I agree. I wholeheartedly stuck up for Moro when he arrived, give him a chance I said, let him have a decent run. Some people have a hidden agenda I fear and set out to discredit some players without giving them a fair go.

I expect him to go in Jan (Loan) i cant see him accepting some upstart Peter Crouch keeping him out of the team which surely he will do away from anfield. I think it was the Kunas game at anfield that Crouch & Cisse looked pretty good until Crouch had to come off.

Some people have a hidden agenda I fear and set out to discredit some players without giving them a fair go.

Or maybe some people had seen plenty of him for Real on TV over 3 years to know he wasn't good enough for them or us.

That's not a hidden agenda, it's an informed opinion.

Or maybe some people had seen plenty of him for Real on TV over 3 years to know he wasn't good enough for them or us.

That's not a hidden agenda, it's an informed opinion.

An informed opinion on your stated "overwhelming" evidence I presume Dave?

By the way Dave, you can call me Andy, it's not as if you don't know my name. Manners my friend cost nothing!