You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Van Dijk: I am already looking forward to an intense pre-season 

TLW

Virgil Van Dijk has painted a picture of real positivity for the future  as Liverpool aim to put this challenging season well and truly behind them.

The Reds had their late season surge for Champions League qualification halted on Saturday with a stubborn Aston Villa outfit holding to a 1-1 draw.

While it would have been a fantastic feat considering where the team had been placed a few months before, you have to look the season as a whole and in reality the Reds left their run just a little too late.

Man United just need a single point from their two remaining home games against Chelsea and Fulham to lock in the final spot.

Jurgen Klopp in particular has been accepting of the fact that they would be playing in the Europa League next season and has made it clear they will be putting everything into winning that competition.

There has been a school of thought over the years that the lack of Champions League Football makes it difficult to sign elite players in the off-season.

But according to Virgil Van Dijk (per the Echo) that is not the case and he is greatly looking forward to a challenging pre-season.

vandijk8_600.jpg

“I think that feeling came a couple of months ago when we turned the page. Obviously there's still a lot to work on but the good thing in this case is that we have the whole pre-season to work on this and that's definitely the plan.

“The noises I'm hearing, it's going to be a very intense pre-season with a lot of physical work but also a lot of tactical work trying to get ready for a tough season. That's very exciting. Players are leaving, hopefully players come in and will be ready for the start of pre-season.

“Will no Champions League make it harder to recruit? No. Pre-season will be massive. Everybody knows we've been going through a little bit of a transition and, if I'm a player on the rise and I have options to go to the next step and Liverpool is knocking on my door, then I would be very, very interested. 

“I don't think it's going to change much but, if someone wants to play in the Champions League no matter what, then that's their ambition.”

vandijk9_600.jpg

As Van Dijk noted, Liverpool have turned the page and part of that is saying goodbye to some true icons of the modern era of the club which he will miss greatly.

“I'll miss each and every one of them.

"They've played their part, they have been successful, everyone is contributing in their own way, not just Bobby. Bobby has been a very big part of the goals and the assists, together with Sadio (Mane) and Mo (Salah), and that creates the headlines.

“But all the other stuff that the other three have been doing as well shouldn't go unnoticed and that's why they're very respected within the group and also Liverpool fans.”

The Dutchman has kept a close eye on the progress of his countryman Cody Gakpo since he joined the club in January.

And he has no doubt that the forward is on the right pathway to fill the shoes of Firmino and be a big success.

“I think it's a very, very difficult role to play and I think Cody's doing exceptional. He's still learning, still adapting. In my opinion, Bobby has been one of the best in this role.

"Cody, it's his first six months and he's already doing so well, so that's a positive sign and he has to keep going, keep both feet on the ground, and listen to me!"

View full article

I feel for VVD a bit. 

Most minutes of any players in the top leagues in 21/22.

Same again before the World Cup.

Starter in the World Cup.

Gets injured.

Back to playing as many minutes again. 

IMO, he needs a nice, un-interrupted 5/6 week breaking before we start again on 8th July or 11th July. 

Unfortunately, he’s not getting that. The Dutch are in the Nations League on the 14th June and the 18th June. No idea when the squad reconvenes, He’ll have to keep himself, assume it’ll be after the FA Cup Final on the 3rd June. 

So, he’ll get a week. Back at it for 2 weeks. Then training again in 3 weeks. I know that does sounds Ok, I think for his own mental

recuperation, he would be better having it all off straight.

Unfortunately, despite Koeman criticising his performances, there is zero chance he won’t be picking him. Given he needlessly started VVD against Gibraltar twice (it’s not as if the Dutch aren’t currently blessed with good defenders), he’ll definitely be starting him against Croatia and Italy / Spain.