You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division

I've never listened to a record by Joy Division. I wouldn't even recognise a song by them either. I've heard of Love Will Tear Us Apart but if I heard it playing on the radio I wouldn't actually know what it was until someone said the name of the track. That's how little I know about this band.

I also had no idea that the guy behind New Order was also in this band. Wait. What? New Order? Almost like an early Pet Shop Boys? From Joy Division? Who knew.

They sound very little like a dance band, they sound even less like a band called Joy Division. They sound like a band called Punk Division. Having read some of the reviews (I actually did read some before this record as I literally knew nothing at all about them) I was expecting to not like them very much at all. And If I had heard of them and knew they came before New Order when I knew New Order I wouldn't have liked them. But at times I like them. At other times I'm not so sure.

Disorder is basic sounding and I wasn't expecting to like the album after hearing the intro track but it's OK. Losing 0-1.

Day of the Lords is a good track though. Punk sounding and quite melodic. It's now 1-1.

Candidate is a little dreary and there's no Joy here. Losing 1-2.

Insight is more up-tempo. Production is tinny but it has a good overall sound and I hear a combination of punk and electro. Drawing 2-2.

New Dawn Fades is proper punk for me. Good dirty guitars over a grim drum track. Like this. Winning! 3-2

She's Lost Control starts with a nice beat and this is the most optimistic sounding track so far. Vocals are a little grim though. Still like this though - daylight in the lead 4-2

Shadowplay - again like this track. Good beat and like the punk rock vibe to it. Looks like a winner now 5-2. Three tracks left, three in the lead.

Wilderness - very basic track this and certain victory slips up. It's OK but not enough to score the point. Still winning, 5-3.

Interzone - victory is assured. Confident beats and nice dirty guitars lead the way in another punk rock track. Was never a fan of punk before but like this. More pure than Green Day. Less aggressive than Sex Pistols. Quality point 6-3

I Remember Nothing - is it going to finish 7-3 or 6-4? I like the somber bass but I prefer the uptempo tracks to this. Still a victory at 6-4.

Overall I would give this 6/10. I liked the punk sound. Pleased to have heard it and will look into them more.

I thought for a moment the second track was called Bad Motor Shooter.

Review : Montrose by Montrose

Following on from our last AOW, Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures we have Ronnie Montrose and Sammy Hagar's Montrose, the sun kissed antithesis of the morose Mancunians ? We shall see.

[presses play]

A great rock riff and a clanking cowbell (you can never have enough cowbell imo) heralds Rock The Nation, the opening track on Montrose' eponymous album. It's immediately obvious that Sammy Hagar has a great voice, "About to rock the nation cos I wanna have fun". No pretence, this is straight ahead groovy rock n roll. A good start.

Brum brum ! The guitar shifts through the gears a takes us on another rock and roll tour in Bad Motor Scooter. Hagar's voice is remarkably consistent and his tone hasn't changed at all over the years. "Get on your bad motor scooter and ride"

I can see why a kid would play the shit outta this on his 8 track. Simple, fun, and catchy as. The solo rocks out, I love the bass in the chorus.

Space Station #5 Okay, having fun now. Lovely acoustic guitar with a howling delayed guitar over the top, loving the dirty old rif to start. Hagar channels more Plant and Zeppelin, there's more cowbell, I'm loving this.

Great fun, feels like driving fast in an open topped convertible, in the sunshine, wind whipping through your hair. A great mix, faster and faster!

Another familiar boogie woogie riff and I Don't Want It rolls in. Lovely bass guitar and some lovely lead fills. IDWI isn't breaking any new ground or reinventing the wheel, it's just good solid fun. Good stuff.

The opening riff of Good Rockin' Tonight reminds me of Last Night by The Strokes, but then we move up a gear, "Have you heard the news, there's good rockin' tonight"

More lovely rockin' fun, sounds like the band are also having a great time and that transmits to the listener.

Big old drums, reminiscent of Kiss' Love It Loud bring in next song, Rock Candy, followed by a kick ass rock riff. Benevolent Sammy is singing about befriending somebody, very probably a hot young chick with a big old rack.

Loving that riff, guitars are great on this, "You're like candy baby, you're hot, sweet and sticky". Okay, not gonna win any literary prizes with lyrics like that but Rock Candy is the best song yet.

One Thing On My Mind kicks off with a fine ZZ Top riff. It's more of the same but that's no bad thing. This is corny good time rock and roll and just the ticket for a lazy Sunday.

"Babe, there's only one thing on my mind", sings Hagar, and I bet he's not talking about The Times crossword puzzle.

Boogie woogie, nice percussion and a quality solo.

Make It Last brings Montrose to a close. "I remember when I was just 17", I wonder how old they were when recording this ? Sharp guitars and a big drum sound, more killer riffage, classic sounding, loving the bell cymbal, lovely solo.

"Keep on rockin'" Damn right.

Howie's AOW is a slice of glorious, unashamed, good time rock and roll, cracking in it's simplicity and all the better for it. Needless to say I really enjoyed listening to Montrose. A great pick Howie.

• Upvote 1

Cheers mate -- it is one of the records that has stayed with me for decades - remember this is '73.  A little background --

Ronnie was a god in the Bay Area at that time, the two years previous he had played on Tupelo Honey with Van Morrison (with Bill Church the bass player on Montrose) and was in the Edgar Winter band that did They Only Come out at Night - so Free Ride and Frankenstein. 

Dan Hartman plays bass and sings on that record -- either/both of those are GF Music Review club quality.

Hagar was added from a cover band in San Fran - I think he was 21 at the time.

So the song Make it Last -- he is living the second verse.

Also same tune -- 

Whether I'm twelve or whether I'm sixty-four

I spend my time like there ain't gonna be no more

Ronnie suffered from depression throughout his life and committed suicide at aged 64.

• Upvote 1

This is well before my time. I had never heard of Montrose before, well at least I don't remember...

Montrose by Montrose

I'm gonna Rock the Nation
Just-a wanna have fun, yeah!

First off, as sung in the opener, this is a fantastically fun album. Great riffs, great vocals, great rhythm section.
It goes full throttle from the off. The crunchy guitar throughout is the star of the show for me. Really rocks all the way through. This is rock music.

'Bad Motor Scooter' is just brilliant, I think. The guitar mimicking motorbike sounds is a great. The simple idea of panning of the guitar left to right giving that Doppler effect of a bike passing by is a nice little touch. 'Space Station #5' and 'Rock Candy' are excellent tracks. 'Good Rockin' Tonight' is a 3 minute summary of classic rock.

You can clearly hear some Led Zeppelin influences here but that's never a bad thing. Lyrics are a little stupid at times, but who cares? This isn't an album for getting philosophical about.

I listened to this album all weekend while doing some work in the garden and had a blast. Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable rock album from start to finish. Great choice, Howie. 7.5/10

• Upvote 1

Montrose - Montrose.

I’d never heard of these guys before. The album cover depicts a bygone era of homoerotocism is that any pure rocker would go mental at the very mention of.

And they can’t argue with salon hair and topless hairy chest photos.

I’m expecting a standard rock and roll album doused in sexual activity.

So let’s go.

Rock The Nation - Cowbell start, Dirty sounding guitar. Then Hagar comes in screaming as he means to go on. Like he’s going to rock the nation. The middle section that pre-cursors the solo slows it down a little but keeps it going effortlessly. It’s standard rock and roll.

Bad Motor Scooter - Proper Vintage Old Grey Whistle re-run tune this. I’m

Not usually a fan of people writing and singing about machines, you can blame Roger Taylor for “I’m In Love With My Car” for that. This is much better than sell out Taylor’s love letter to his Jag. Much better.

Space Station #5 - Wailing, flailing, screeching sounds, like I’m about to meet the Clangers. Then a The Who rip off start, but that’s ok it’s only rock and roll and I like it. I’ve never given Sammy Hagar much credit for his vocals, in fact I’ve never really gave him a listen. He can really belt it out can’t he? Some absolute ball busting playing on this. Feel like I should open the buttons on my shirt and show the body from naval up. Even finished with a Queen like finish. Or did Queen finish with a Montrose type finish.

I Don’t Want It - Another one from the Rock ‘N Roll handbook, but it doesn’t matter. This album is unashamedly not trying to be anything else. I do like the riff in this. The solo is also pretty good.

Good Rockin Tonight - Defo hearing ‘Last Night’ by The Strokes at the start. I didn’t realise but I’d heard this before a few times. Against of the same, but it’s not an issue when it’s done well.

Rock Candy - Now that’s a drum sound I like. Nice and airy. With some tight riffing. Full on Zep impression going on. This is my favourite track off the album. It has a different feel than the others. Might be the more bluesy feel to it. I hate these sort of lyrics in songs though. That solo is something I’d love the ability to throw out.

One Thing On My Mind - I wonder what he’s going to be singing about here. I hope his lyrics are better than Rock Candy. I’m not that into this one as the others.

Make It Last - Slow start compared to the rest of the album. Which makes me think he’s going to stretch this one out more than it needs to be. And at 5 minutes it’s certainly feels longer than it is. Not as much into this one as many of the others. Feels more like a filler and not a killer.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this as this sort of stuff has not been my thing at all in the past. Must be my maturing years making me appreciate stuff a lot more than I used to.

A solid 7 hairy chests out of 10.

• Upvote 1

Montrose by Montrose

Rock the Nation - Blatant rip off of Kick out the Jams at the start without any of the intensity. Then it rips off The Who in the pre chorus. Then it rips off T-Rex's Bang a Gong with the 12 bar blues shuffle. Then it rips off MC5 again. It's as generic as they come musically, but I like the message of the song which is about having fun and playing music.

Bad Motor Scooter - The lyrics in this one are appalling. It's all 'yeah baby" "come over to my place and ride". Was this the advent of Hair Metal? because these lyrics conjure all the crassness of "Cherry Pie" with the cheap innuendos and Tourettes style "yeah baby's". It did make me laugh when he said "i'm a fan of your dad" though. Nice solo with accompanying slide guitar. 

Space Station 5 - Planet Caravan influence very strong in the intro. It even has a rotating speaker effect on the vocal at one stage which directly references Ozzy on Planet Caravan. Lyrics are very Geezer Butler-esque as well. I really like the way the song speeds up at the end and cuts to the sound of tape reversing. The reversed guitar solo is a high point. 

I Don't Want It - He quit his job making toothpicks outta logs. He doesn't want it. He doesn't need it. Funerals make him cry and he don't wanna die. Sounds like a 10 year old wrote the lyrics. Virtually every song is sang in exactly the same register with the same exact panning and guitar sound. It gets fatiguing to the ears after a while.

Good Rockin Tonight - The Strokes must've got their influence for the intro to 'Last Night' from this. Elvis did it much better nearly 30 years previous.... but respect for repping Elvis. The guitar solo is excellent. 

Rock Candy - When the Levee Breaks drum intro followed by Robert Plant rip off vocals - including trademark scream. The sexual innuendo's come back in force. His cock is hard and her pussy is sweet and sticky. We know what your trying to say Sammy lad. The 17 year old pulls up her pants at one stage, no doubt because of what Sammy has done to her. Dirty bastard. 

One thing on my Mind - In answer to the question of the one thing on Sammy's mind... it's fanny, isn't it? - and sure enough it is. 

Make it Last - This is quite poignant for a Montrose song. It's about aspiring to be older and looking at some point in the future when you should be living your life in the now. It's about 'making things last' and seizing the time you do have, but also not sweating it because life's just a game anyway. It's sage advice. I like this. My favourite song on the record. I like the phasing of the guitars. I like the outro of "keep on rolling' as well.

I can understand why this would appeal to a young lad growing up because it's all about going out, partying, playing music, shagging girls and living every day like it's your last. It's a young mans album and presumably Sammy and the rest of the gang were young men themselves so there's that youthful exuberance within it. Stylistically it couldn't be less suited to my sensibilities but i can still appreciate it for what it is.

• Upvote 2

Apologizes as this is a little late but here's my thoughts on Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures. 

As mentioned in an earlier post I do own this. Indeed this won't be the first time I have listened to it this year. Can't say I know it too well however. For whatever reason it has never really stuck. Listening to it again for this review and giving it my full attention, because quite often that's not how I do my listening, I can see why. I could mention the production. I could say how much of a difficult album both in tone and subject it is. How it is a little too rough in places and there would be a little bit of truth in all of these for for me. The main issue for me however is it's not Closer (or to be more precise Closer and all the post Unknown Pleasures singles and b-sides which are found on my edition). If I have listened to Unknown Pleasures once this year I must be in double figures easily for Closer. I like it that much. When I put the first album on I hear little bits and pieces that I like but what I really want is the rough edges smoothed off and a little bit more melody which is when I reach for the second disc. Appreciate that this won't be everyone's view and nativity and rawness can have it's own appeal and power (She's Lost Control is testament to that) but ultimately to my ears what you get with Unknown Pleasures is the work of a young inexperienced band still trying to find their way to reach their undoubted potential. It has it moments but not quite there for me.

• Upvote 2

Montrose is a good old-fashioned rock and roll album. Reading up about the influences behind Ronnie Montrose's earlier career seems to be a list of great musicianship in itself. Van Morrisson (wow). Herbie Hancock (double wow). Edgar Winter (who?).

And then to have this unknown band (to me anyhoo) have a member leave to start Van Halen? Great pick this - not just the album. No, sir. The album is good but certainly not the best rock album ever. In all honesty, probably not even close to the top when compared to the true great albums by rocks giants. But they're just so well unknown for a band to have worked with so many truly great artists and lead on to others too.

I'm looking into buying more of their albums - I've seen an Original Album series for £9.99 which includes this album and four others. Just not sure whether to get that or try and get the deluxe editions of the albums independently. I know I could stream them for free but I believe in paying for good music so more good music can be made. Well, that's how it should work anyway!

Good pick, this. Out of nowhere and good to have discovered them.

8/10.

Okay, so is everybody ready for a new AOW?

Chevettehs, it's your turn again mate, get it posted fella...

We are now entering the club's Bermuda Triangle, the chevettehs - Stig - Paul axis, and fearful of several weeks of inactivity / stasis I propose that we set a time limit? So if chevettehs does post his AOW by say 9pm tomorrow then we should move onto Stig, and so on.

Nothing personal against any of those 3 lads but we haven't seen sight nor sound of any of them in months.

If any other club members think that's unreasonable and out of order then please speak up.

Okay, so is everybody ready for a new AOW?

Chevettehs, it's your turn again mate, get it posted fella...

We are now entering the club's Bermuda Triangle, the chevettehs - Stig - Paul axis, and fearful of several weeks of inactivity / stasis I propose that we set a time limit? So if chevettehs does post his AOW by say 9pm tomorrow then we should move onto Stig, and so on.

Nothing personal against any of those 3 lads but we haven't seen sight nor sound of any of them in months.

If any other club members think that's unreasonable and out of order then please speak up.

Very reasonable, we need new music!!

Before the new AOW here's my very short review of Montrose by Montrose. Short because I don't have an awful lot to add to what has already been said. After listening and then readings the comments I find myself pretty much agreeing with all the comments coming before me. It's a fun, accomplished album with some catchy riffs. I'm probably sitting closer to Boss's side of fence than some of you others in that this is not going to convert me into a fan of hard rock but I will say I had perfectly pleasant half hour or however long it was listening.

• Upvote 1

I’ve got faith in Stig here.

Don’t let me down lad.

Okay then, still no sign of Chris with his AOW ?

Stig, it's now onto you buddy. See if you can post your next AOW by 12pm on Thursday. The floor is yours, the clock is ticking...

Paul to follow Stig.

The cock has crowed...and still no AOW.

Paul, your turn to post your AOW pal, deadline is midday Saturday.

Following Paul in the rotation is Winston Wolf.

Tick tick tick tick