You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Crystal Palace 2 (Nov 8 2015)

tlw content

palacereport1.jpg

It had to come eventually, and it was no real surprise that it was bogey team Palace who delivered it. Klopp’s unbeaten start went up in smoke as Alan Pardew’s level of smug reached heights usually only achieved by Tory politicians.

Three wins on the bounce in various competitions had provided hope that we could start to climb the table but this was always going to be the biggest test so far of Klopp’s tenure, and we failed it. It's not the end of the world, we've taken a step back after taking a few forward and even in defeat there were signs of progress.

Trips to Tottenham and Chelsea might look to be more testing than a home game against Palace, but for me this was the toughest game we’ve had so far for a number of reasons (for the record, I'd say it's tougher than the trip to City we have coming up next too). First and foremost, Palace are a good side. They’re especially impressive away from home, and they’re a really bad match up for us in terms of style. We struggle at home against teams with pace and power who can defend deep and hit on the break. West Ham beat us 3-0 at Anfield earlier in the season and there are a lot of similarities between them and Palace. We couldn't beat Southampton either, and I'd put them in the same category.

Klopp has worked wonders in a short space of time but for the most part I don’t think supporters had gotten carried away by it. Talk of this being a “reality check” is wide of the mark, as we know what our reality is. We’re not winning the title, but we could make a run at the top four and this result doesn’t change that. Clearly though we need to find a way to win these games because for all the improvements we’ve seen under Klopp, some glaring issues remain. 

Klopp downplayed the significance of having to play Palace just three days after a Europa League game in Russia but it definitely does play a part. It's right that he dismisses it as if you tell players they're tired they'll convince themselves they are. I’m not necessarily buying into the “tiredness” argument, but the sharpness was effected by it and as so often happens with teams who play in the Europa, we made a really sluggish, sloppy start.

I’d put part of the blame for that on Mignolet though. He was farting about in the opening minute putting defenders under unnecessary pressure by passing it out to them instead of clearing his lines, and before you knew it we were making mistakes all over the shop. That set the tone and his distribution throughout the first half was dreadful.

This is only a teaser, click here to view the article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month.

• Talk of this being a “reality check” is wide of the mark, as we know what our reality is. We’re not winning the title, but we could make a run at the top four and this result doesn’t change that. 
  • Moreno, that silly little bastard gave it straight back to him too. Honestly, some of our players are thick as fuck.
  • Klopp said he felt “alone” when he saw that, which just made me feel sad and embarrassed.
  • The club have done their best to drive away those supporters and this is the result of it.

Fantastic stuff, Dave.  I agree with everything in the article, but the above 4 statements read my mind.

The usual giving stupid goals away we must be the best in the league at it....It would be interesting to see how many goals we have conceded have come from outside the box or goals were you have to hold you hands up and say "nowt we could do about that"...I could imaging it wouldn't be many.

That for me is what is annoying and what is killing us, throw in the lack of goals and you're are always on a knife edge in games.

But I agree Mingolet is a pain in the arse with his distribution and the way he faffs about it's only a matter of time before a forward steals the ball off him.

In terms of the faffing around with the ball at his feet, Mignolet is still trying to get the Rodgers stink off him. He never played like that before we signed him, so he needs to knock it off now.

He's Benteke up the field, instead of putting his defenders in trouble when the opponents are pressing high, just knock it up to the big fella. 

In terms of the faffing around with the ball at his feet, Mignolet is still trying to get the Rodgers stink off him. He never played like that before we signed him, so he needs to knock it off now.

He's Benteke up the field, instead of putting his defenders in trouble when the opponents are pressing high, just knock it up to the big fella.

2525632374.jpg

• Upvote 3

The usual giving stupid goals away we must be the best in the league at it....It would be interesting to see how many goals we have conceded have come from outside the box or goals were you have to hold you hands up and say "nowt we could do about that"...I could imaging it wouldn't be many.

That for me is what is annoying and what is killing us, throw in the lack of goals and you're are always 

Definitely. We've pretty much reached the point where there can't be any excuses for giving away needless stupid goals. It has already cost us badly so far this season and it will continue to. Sometimes you can excuse young players, mistakes happen. But they can't be allowed to keep happening over and over again. 

If someone is a repeat offender(looks at Emre Can) they should be dropped until they get it through their heads. 

Mignolet barely reaches the half way line from a free standing ball, he is so weak and has virtually no fkin accuarcy.

Watch Bogdan in the LCup  he drives the ball well into the opposition half.

Also spot on with Can, I like him , but he thinks he is better than he is and he is culpable on many occasions. Needs to learn

Everyday is a schoolday.