You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boys From The Blackstuff

DUFF

I think Boys From The Blackstuff is great, I'm too young to remember it originally but have it on DVD and I'm sure there was one original feature length and a sort of spin off series which included the Souness scene. I also love Scully, I think the great thing about both of them is the endings, they look to be heading to something better but everything really ends up worse or the same, they're excellent but sad representations of life.

On a side note, something I remember is I think the very last scene of Boys From The Blackstuff, they are in the Albert Dock before it was refurbished and it looks unreal, I dont remember it before it was done up so I found it really strange when I watched it.

Altho i never really saw it much, i did like it from what i can remember of it. Being form Newcastle there was more emphasis on A.W Pet, i actually remember watching Us paly the barcodes in the cup one friday night and all the barcodes were singing Oz would F**k Yozzer, which i thought was funny in general.

One thing i remember more than BFBS was Scully, the lad who dreamt of playing for Liverpool and kept talking to King Kenny in his head but he would actually appear.

I remember the one where he had to play a fairy in a school play and he said i bet Kenny wouldnt do this, and there you saw kenny dressed up like a fairy wand and all, saying yes i would. My sis took the Piss for weeks cos he was my hero.

Would love ot see that again anyone know if it out on Vid or DVD????

Gloryhunting wanker!!!

I remember watching BFTB as a kid and thinking it was one of the most powerful things I'd ever seen on tv. My dad was unemployed at the time (like a lot of dads were in the area around that time) and I'm sure that's why it hit home so deeply.

Great acting. Great writing. Excellent commentary on the state of society at the time, with characters you could really feel for. It was interspersed with just enough humour to lighten the mood as needed along the way.

I must order this on DVD and add it to the collection of things from back home now that I'm exiled over here.

I remember One Summer and Scully too. Might get them, but perhaps they will seem dated and not as good as I remember (as someone said above).

• 11 months later...

The stuff on BBC four is two episodes in, the pilot, made sometime before followed by the first episode from the series featuring all the characters (and Roy Cropper as a benefits investigator). The next two episodes are a little grim and are based around two families, little humour (despite Julie Walters). Make sure you see the last two through, George''s unscripted ad hoc speech at the Albert Dock, pure genius, the final scenes of chaos in the pub, Yosser's story and the lake. A fantastic piece of writing and a landmark link between the old world and now.

• 4 weeks later...
Really?

The speech he gives when he's getting wheeled around by Chrissie really chokes you up.

Always makes me think that episode. You look at the City and thank God it's not like that any more, but i don't half wish the people and the values were still the same.

It's funny - twelve months ago most people would have seen this as a cracking drama and a bit of social history, in twelve months time it's going to start looking prophetic instead. I watched it again not long back and the whole thing really does reflect the sheer fucking desperation of the times.

Bernard Hill is excellent in it.