Quantcast
Sonos systems - TNF - Techy Nerd Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Rico1304

Sonos systems

I have a small Sonos setup, with 3 Sonos Play:1 speakers, and a Sonos Bridge that creates the Sonos network on which my Play 1 speakers talk to the controller. I have 2 speakers in the living room as a stereo pair, and another on its own in the bedroom.

The Bridge has now been discontinued by Sonos, and has been replaced by the Boost, though you won't find the Boost on the official Sonos site, as they now want you to buy the Connect or Connect Amp.

The Sonos Controller is software/app based, and runs on your PC/laptop and/or a relevant iOS/Android device. I have the controller installed on multiple devices to allow me to control the system from anywhere I choose.

I found the PC based software to be easier to pair with music services such as Spotify, and of course it's easier to find music stored on local hard drives using the PC software. The app is pretty straight forward, and I use it mainly for the sleep timer and alarm functions. Again, just easier to use these features on a mobile device, rather than via PC.

As Cloggy mentioned, Sonos can hit the wallet hard, depending on what you're after.

I spent £370 on 2 Play:1 speakers and the bridge bought from Amazon, and a further £80 on the third speaker*. £450 in total for 3 speakers and the bridge.

It does what I want it to do, and I'm happy with the quality

*I picked up the third Play:1 speaker at half price from a work colleague who'd had a Play:1 delivered to his house that he didn't order, and despite letting the carrier company know it was incorrectly delivered, no one ever claimed it, so I had it off him.

Previous thread on Sonos.

As always though, make sure you do your homework before forking out on something that may not meet your own requirements.

I have a small Sonos setup, with 3 Sonos Play:1 speakers, and a Sonos Bridge that creates the Sonos network on which my Play 1 speakers talk to the controller. I have 2 speakers in the living room as a stereo pair, and another on its own in the bedroom.

The Bridge has now been discontinued by Sonos, and has been replaced by the Boost, though you won't find the Boost on the official Sonos site, as they now want you to buy the Connect or Connect Amp.

The Sonos Controller is software/app based, and runs on your PC/laptop and/or a relevant iOS/Android device. I have the controller installed on multiple devices to allow me to control the system from anywhere I choose.

I found the PC based software to be easier to pair with music services such as Spotify, and of course it's easier to find music stored on local hard drives using the PC software. The app is pretty straight forward, and I use it mainly for the sleep timer and alarm functions. Again, just easier to use these features on a mobile device, rather than via PC.

As Cloggy mentioned, Sonos can hit the wallet hard, depending on what you're after.

I spent £370 on 2 Play:1 speakers and the bridge bought from Amazon, and a further £80 on the third speaker*. £450 in total for 3 speakers and the bridge.

It does what I want it to do, and I'm happy with the quality

*I picked up the third Play:1 speaker at half price from a work colleague who'd had a Play:1 delivered to his house that he didn't order, and despite letting the carrier company know it was incorrectly delivered, no one ever claimed it, so I had it off him.

Previous thread on Sonos.

As always though, make sure you do your homework before forking out on something that may not meet your own requirements.

Cheers mate, there's an offer on at JL for 2 units for £299. I've already got spotify on my phone so seems a good deal. I listen to loads of podcasts as well as radio and with working from home think I'll get a lot of use out of it.

Cheers mate, there's an offer on at JL for 2 units for £299. I've already got spotify on my phone so seems a good deal. I listen to loads of podcasts as well as radio and with working from home think I'll get a lot of use out of it.

Here's a list of services that you can use via Sonos. For info, Spotify is premium only.

I've had the much cheaper Logitech Squeezebox solution for years and it's great. They seem to have stopped selling it now but you can still run the server on a media pc or a Raspberry Pi connected to a HiFi.

I bought a little Anker cube thing off Amazon for fifteen quid and it's boss. I'm sure I'll get a Sonos eventually, but in the meantime this does me just fine and it fits in your pocket.

I have the Logitech squeezebox but it drops connections too often so I leave it in work now. I now use a Bose sound link mini Bluetooth speaker and it's fantastic. The battery lasts for about 15 hours and you can take it anywhere. It's about the size of your hand and sounds boss.

We bought the 1 in the end, the offer was over. There's no need for the bridge anymore, we are going to see if we like it then maybe get another for upstairs.

Currently listening to Peer Gynt as the wife is upstairs watching Dowton Abby - we could have a winner!!!

• Upvote 1

We bought the 1 in the end, the offer was over. There's no need for the bridge anymore, we are going to see if we like it then maybe get another for upstairs.

Currently listening to Peer Gynt as the wife is upstairs watching Dowton Abby - we could have a winner!!!

Rico has just won the most middle class post ever on TLW there.
  • Upvote 2

I got a sonos sound bar recently, very impressed by it, the quality of the streaming on the sonos is superb. It's a good system because you can just keep adding to it, it's a bit pricey but i think it's worth the cost.

I got a sonos sound bar recently, very impressed by it, the quality of the streaming on the sonos is superb. It's a good system because you can just keep adding to it, it's a bit pricey but i think it's worth the cost.

Did you put that £50 you were supposed to pay to the HJC towards buying it?
  • Upvote 1

@ byrnie - Not all of it!

I have had a bunch of centralized music servers and multiroom set ups, we do have a hardwired old school still, but tbh I just have bluetooth powered speakers in every room now as well and can turn them on/off and link different sources pretty easily

I bought a little Anker cube thing off Amazon for fifteen quid and it's boss. I'm sure I'll get a Sonos eventually, but in the meantime this does me just fine and it fits in your pocket.

Just want to give this another shout. It's fucking brilliant - and about the best value for money tech I've ever bought.

Got pissed on Saturday afternoon, arrived home at 7 just as the wife was going out and started a disco in my front room. Was still going strong 3 hours later when she got back.