You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool fear Gerrard KO

StevieH

If he needs time to get fit then I'd do it. Get him ready for next year.

Agreed.

It'll be a blow if he's out for the rest of the season, but we're going to need him more when we win the league next year.

It might give the younger players a good chance too, shame Shelvey is out at the same time.

Agree. Although odds on his international retirement would be be viewed as high treason on a par with Lord Haw Haw by certain media outlets just like with Carra.... whereas in the case of Scholes and Giggs it was merely protecting our national heritage

Liverpool FC's Steven Gerrard facing possible season lay-off

by Richard Buxton. Published Thu 10 Mar 2011 12:00, Last updated: 2011-03-10

Steven Gerrard have to undergo surgery to fix his groin problems, admits Kenny Dalglish.

The Liverpool captain did not travel with the squad for tonight's Europa League last 16 tie with SC Braga despite coming through last weekend's win over Manchester United unscathed.

A decision will be taken tomorrow as to whether Gerrard will go under the knife to correct the problem, which forced him to miss three consecutive games for the Reds last month, amidst fears in some quarters that the 30-year-old could be sidelined for the remainder of the season.

"For Steven and us it's a niggling problem to which we have to find a solution," said Dalglish.

"Hopefully, it will be cleared up and he will be available for most matches. But everyone has to be carefully managed, whether they're fully fit or slightly fit.

"That's why we have a squad of players, because sometimes the most important ones are those who don't play as often as they'd like.

"There's no way we will speculate about any player, especially Steven. It's a problem that is minimal but needs to be fixed."

Horrible news this, but Stevie has had so much injury problems over the last two seasons, so not too shocking... He should just have the surgery, get fit for next season, and then captain us to win the league!

We should really start preparing for a life after Stevie and Carra. Carra has got a few seasons left in him, I suppose. Stevie will (hopefully?) play a big role for us for more than that.

Not getting any younger, sadly. Love the fact that Kelly is breaking through though! And in a couple of years down the line, Flanagan and Robinson, perhaps? Shelvey to pick up after Stevie?

This!!!

I'm not so sure how bad Gerrard being out while would be. Seems when we play him, the players look for him a little too much and ignore better-placed players. This stifles our attack! Classic example: FA Cup shafting by Utd, in the first half hour, Jova in particular was in acres of space 3 or 4 times and got totally ignored.

Gerrard seems to play best when we're awful. Barring the 5-1 demolition of Newcastle a couple of years back, I don't remember him being brilliant in a flourishing Liverpool side any time recently.

Gerrard seems to play best when we're awful. Barring the 5-1 demolition of Newcastle a couple of years back, I don't remember him being brilliant in a flourishing Liverpool side any time recently.

well thats a load of bollocks gerrrard was brilliant the season we finished 2nd, his form has gone downhill in our awful sides

well thats a load of bollocks gerrrard was brilliant the season we finished 2nd, his form has gone downhill in our awful sides

You're looking at 2 years ago too then? Shouldn't a captain lift a team and make it play above itself etc? Don't get me wrong, Gerrard's my favourite footballer without question! But I don't think we're necessarily better when he plays, do you?

I'm not so sure how bad Gerrard being out while would be. Seems when we play him, the players look for him a little too much and ignore better-placed players. This stifles our attack! Classic example: FA Cup shafting by Utd, in the first half hour, Jova in particular was in acres of space 3 or 4 times and got totally ignored.

This argument always pops up when he's out and we win a game or two. But nothing is said when he's in the team and we go on a good run of games like recently. Can't we just enjoy the incredible player that we're lucky to have in our team while he's able to pull on the shirt? They don't come around that often.