You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Six Points A Season...

aws

is what I reckon the Mancs and the Arse must get from hassling referees and querying every decision.

I had hoped that introducing fully professional referees would cut out the problem because they'd be strong enough to stand up to pressure but I'm starting to think they're worse because they've got more to lose from upsetting the FA.

So the question is...would you be happy for us to do the same?Personally I'd hate to see it ...but it does seem to work.

Only 6? In the 70s and 80s we'd take it turns to argue with the referee, but whether it was needed or not i'm not really sure. I dont think we have the standing in the game to influence decisions any more, but my opinion is that once the official have decided thats it, you dont query it. Any hassling of the ref should be a straight red card.

Only 6? In the 70s and 80s we'd take it turns to argue with the referee, but whether it was needed or not i'm not really sure. I dont think we have the standing in the game to influence decisions any more, but my opinion is that once the official have decided thats it, you dont query it. Any hassling of the ref should be a straight red card.

Agreed except that I can't see a red being given unless there's abusive language.I'd love to see a ref get out a yellow card and show it to everyone in a surrounding posse.If it ever did happen,you could bet it wouldn't happen to either of you know who.

Would really wind me up if our team argued with the ref the same way as the mancs and the arse do.

We should do what they do in the egg chasing and allow only the captain to have a word with the ref, Collina does this in italy and it works very well.

:yes:[/quote

The refs could stop it overnight if they had the balls.

If someone is fouled,why should anyone other than him and his captain have anything to say about it?

Guest Glen Buck

I'm not sure how much the Arse gain from thier "naughty" behaviour aws. Their may be times they get away with it, but they have also been known to get hammered for it.

Strangest part is, that when you compare two teams of winners, who will take that determination to win to it's extremes and beyond, even at times crossing the line in to cheating/intimidation territory, one of those two teams usually has one of the worst disciplinary records in the league, while the other is nearly always towards the top of the fair play league.

Very strange!

:dunno:

Guest Stormbringer

Rugby has it right and even more so Hockey. I used to play at a good level. If you so much as looked at the umpire you got a green card (warning), next time or persistent fouling, yellow (up to 10 mins off), and finally red and your gone.

No arguments, no foul and abusive language. No intimidation. Well the only intimidation was from the officials to me cause i was always muttering at them.

Can't see why soccer hasn't done this? It's a no brainer.

It would work from day one. You get a green card and your a good boy. Next game you don't bother!!

If someone is fouled,why should anyone other than him and his captain have anything to say about it?

i just think it will cut out a lot of time which is being wasted, i think its disgusting when you see a group of players surround a referee, like this is going to change is mind, if anything it is going to piss him off even more.

i can understand players and fans getting upset when refs dont spot things or ignore incidente, but i think the only way forward is for the skipper to raise the concerns from a team point of view when things aren't going right, not to have ten players chasing round the pitch.

We should do what they do in the egg chasing and allow only the captain to have a word with the ref, Collina does this in italy and it works very well.

Actually, that's exactly what the rules are, it's just that our referees are too fucking spineless to uphold them. Jeff Winter is probably the only one who takes no shit off the players.

I'm not sure how much the Arse gain from thier "naughty" behaviour aws. Their may be times they get away with it, but they have also been known to get hammered for it.

Strangest part is, that when you compare two teams of winners, who will take that determination to win to it's extremes and beyond, even at times crossing the line in to cheating/intimidation territory, one of those two teams usually has one of the worst disciplinary records in the league, while the other is nearly always towards the top of the fair play league.

Very strange!

:dunno:

Personally I think it's a deliberate policy to intimidate refs so that refs are more likely to give them the next decision.They try and create a doubt in the ref's mind so he thinks he must be being unfair to them and should give them a decision "to even things up".Over a season,this tactic will result in a few crucial decisions edging in their favour.Refs have to be strong to counter this but they're not all Collina.

Smiler - was actually agreeing with you but I could have been clearer.:party:

Read somewhere a few weeks ago that Collina is not far off the retirement age for refs in Italy & there was talk of him being approached to work in the Premiership. They should go one step further & get him to coach our referees. I'm sure they would all benefit through it. Collina is not only an excellent ref, he doesn't try to turn a game into 'his show' like Graham Poll or Uriah Rennie, to name but two, always seem to have to. I'm sure if our referees could show the same authority & common sense that Collina does then the game in this country would benefit no end.

The refs should be independant from the Premiership, that way there is no pressure. They should only have to answers to an independant board made up of a representative of the Prem, players union and charimen. That way there is no influence from the mancs and like, because you know they try and intimidate the FA. I think most of them try and do a fair job, but if it is your source of income, and knowing what the mancs and arse are like, whinging all the time, are you really, really, really going to give that pen at OT?

Collina is not only an excellent ref, he doesn't try to turn a game into 'his show' like Graham Poll or Uriah Rennie, to name but two, always seem to have to. I'm sure if our referees could show the same authority & common sense that Collina does then the game in this country would benefit no end.

i agree, have you read is book, if not you should.

Collina's class. The best refs are the ones you dont notice and lets face it he's quite a freaky looking character so its hard to avoid him. But I remember when he refereed us against Kiev at Anfield, you'd hardly know he was there as he got on with the simple task of doing his job and letting the game flow. When he does have trouble he deals with it effectivley with no shit. Rememer when he sent off Ince in Sweden v England for calling him a baldy bastard in Italian. Quality.

A great example of this was Barton against Spurs last week. Went over just after the whistle for half time, to have a word over a decision & got booked, consequently his second. At half-time the ref confirmed he hadn't swore or said anything bad, was just persistent in "hassling" him. Now take Keane & co when Middlebrough "DARED" to have a player blatantly brought down in the box. Cue neville, keane and stam to try & rip D'urso's head off. Middlesbrough went onto Miss the spot kick & united probably won the game.

Thats why Arsenal all lost it earlier in the season up at united. By the way arsenal aint no saints either.