You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TV signal problem

Randy Marsh

Basically, we have a tele hooked up to freeview in the living room of our apartment which we moved in to a few months back. All sound, no problems. Was bought a tele over Xmas with the intention of hooking it up in my bedroom. Tele is brand new with built in freeview.

So, when I plug it in to the bedroom aerial socket and scan repeatedly for channels it comes up as no signal. I went down to reception of the apartment block and asked what this was and suggested there may be a problem with the connection in my room. The main feller down there said there was no problem, but said I needed to buy some kind of connection which plugs in to one of the few sockets in the main living room, which in turn feeds the signals through to the bedroom. He said he could get me one for about 15quid.

Now, the apartments are brand new and only opened less than a year ago. I cannot for the life of me work out why you would need to buy something extra to allow you to get a signal in the bloody bedrooms when the living room signal is spot on.

But anyway, I am basically wondering if anyone knows what this thing is that I am after buying because I havn't a clue. The last thing I want to do is give him the money because it will no doubt be alot cheaper if I buy it myself. If anyone knows what it is im looking for and could tell me it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

It sounds more like the socket in the bedroom is incorrectly wired or shorted out. In flats/apartments, the TV antenna is usually a communal one which then feeds into a preamp with shitloads of outputs coming from that into the respective sockets in the flats.

Thing is, a lot of these coax runs are wired in by brickies with no idea and TV coax, having a solid-core inner wire, can break with hamfisted handling.

It sounds more like the socket in the bedroom is incorrectly wired or shorted out. In flats/apartments, the TV antenna is usually a communal one which then feeds into a preamp with shitloads of outputs coming from that into the respective sockets in the flats.

Thing is, a lot of these coax runs are wired in by brickies with no idea and TV coax, having a solid-core inner wire, can break with hamfisted handling.

Tell me about it. When we moved into this house in 2002, brand new, the lounge TV socket didn't seem to work. Took the plate off and the co-ax was fastened into the wall and about 15mm too short to reach the connector.....

I understand what you're saying like, but the feller said he'd sell me one of these things if I wanted. Bit of a smarmy cunt though so I'd much rather source it myself. It isn't a small place I live in either, massive big brand new development so I don't think it's been wired wrong. He basically said this thing which plugs in to the socket in the living room then enables the signal to feed in to the bedrooms, just a case of plugging the thing in then all works he said. May end up just getting it from him.

I had a similar problem with a TV in my mum's conservatory.

It was driving me mad until I took the aerial connector off and found one tiny strand of the copper braid was touching the copper core and that was enough to mess up some of the TV channels.

Worth a look.

One quick point - have you tried your telly in the TV socket downstairs which you know works to check the telly is ok?

• 8 months later...