You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Auction tactics

RedinSweden

What tactics would you use?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What tactics would you use?

• Go in high from the start, marking it out as "our house"
    • Let the other bidders bid amongst themselves, then go in with a hefty increase when it slows down
    • Follow the bidding in a normal manner, adding standard increases
    • Other (please specify)

Right, i thought I would tap the wisdom of the GF once more. Next week we will be bidding on a house. In Sweden if there is more than one interested party, it goes to a closed auction. This is pretty normal and we are assuming that this will happen on this one as it is a nice house in a good location.

But, my question is this, what do you think is the best tactic to use when bidding. i will put up a poll with some different examples, but by all means add suggestions.

You could spread rumous that the house is possessed by an evil spirit and the last inhabitants were brutally murdered by an axe wielding maniac and bring Paddyb along as an example of said fiend

I'd have to fly him over and paddyb has been hit with a global ban on flying.

If its two party auction I don't see what option you have except nominal increases till the other party falls away.

If its an open auction I would wait till the bidding has slowed then at the last minute put in a bid say twice what the increments where. So if the property is increasing in £1,000 installments put an extra couple of grand on. That may just scare away the other parties enough to secure it, if not stay in till your budget with increases thereafter.

If its a family bidding against you, couldn't you get one of us to e-mail the husband and say she is playing away and therefore get them to drop out of the need for a family home.

From my experience (in other words - watching shite like homes under the hammer), the person who always wins the auction is the one who doesn't get involved in a bidding war. Just allows other people to fight it out then nip in at the end.

I think its likely that once the winner of the bidding war has won, as soon as someone else pops up with a bid its almost as if they don't want to fight anymore.

From my experience (in other words - watching shite like homes under the hammer), the person who always wins the auction is the one who doesn't get involved in a bidding war. Just allows other people to fight it out then nip in at the end.

I think its likely that once the winner of the bidding war has won, as soon as someone else pops up with a bid its almost as if they don't want to fight anymore.

I learned mine from crap in the attic or what ever its called. Oh and from the Duke on Bargain Hunt

I'm leaning towards this tactic I think.

There's a lot to be gained from observing and then nipping in. Good luck!

PS - as a general purchasing principle, you usually don't get as good of a deal if you can't walk away from something. So, in this instance, if you and your wife have other alternates in mind, it would hopefully stop you overpaying for this.

Also, will this house be nearer to Cat in Sweden's new stomping ground?

How long do you get to change your offer once you are aware of what the other party has offered?

You are informed of the other bid and can bid again

There's a lot to be gained from observing and then nipping in. Good luck!

PS - as a general purchasing principle, you usually don't get as good of a deal if you can't walk away from something. So, in this instance, if you and your wife have other alternates in mind, it would hopefully stop you overpaying for this.

Also, will this house be nearer to Cat in Sweden's new stomping ground?

It is only 3 mins walk away from where we live now, and right next to where he was eventually found, so he obviously likes it there.

Here is the house anyway, if the photo works

dbfile.aspx?cache=7200&table=CBild&GUID=3GL432EMEH9RAD2P&redir=1&width=0&height=0&ScaleAndClipMode=OnlyScaleDown&q=200

Always enter the bidding late if possible as the fewer people bidding initially means that the price doesn't get carried away in the frenzy.

ONce it has stabalised you can come in with your bid.

Don't ever go above your agreed limit though.

Always enter the bidding late if possible as the fewer people bidding initially means that the price doesn't get carried away in the frenzy.

ONce it has stabalised you can come in with your bid.

Don't ever go above your agreed limit though.

We won't go over our limit, but that is about 40,000 quid more than the asking price, so I doubt that will happen.

Looks very nice. Best of luck. I think you'll do well. You can obviously afford it, and you've got some good advice on here in terms of not jumping in too soon. Let us know how it pans out.

Will do. It will probably take place next monday or tuesday. I will post live updates on the thread and people can then offer advice. It will be the forum's very first live, interactive house auction.

What are the house prices like over there anyway mate?

Me and the Mrs are putting an offer in on a house this week and it's scarily expensive for a 3/4 bed semi.

This one has an asking price that converts to about 210,000 quid. It is a popular area though, 30 mins from Stockholm and 10 mins from Uppsala (which is also a pretty decent sized city) means that they are relatively high. in other places you can probably get a 3 bedroom house for about 50,000 quite easily. This one has 5 bedrooms which is why we like it as we have our three kids and lots of guests coming over.

Nice house Jim, good luck mate.

Cheers. It is acetastic. Right next to the long distance skiing track which doubles as a running track in the spring, summer and autumn. The best thing is it wouldn't disrupt the kids at all as it is so near to where we live now. It has an open fire too and I love fire.