You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kids get raw deal

Steve

Alright Andy

thanks for standing up for me on redandwhitekop after a few said I was a little harsh to GH.

I posted a link to it on the GF, after DT had advised me there that it had provoked some debate on the Danish forum. Apparently some Danes think I am a stupid nationalist Evertonian. Dont know in what order though.

[%sig%]

Guest Martin

Steve agree with nearly every word. Dave U has printed similar articles in the past and he got slaged off but watch the reserves or under age teams and there is real talent, but if it is not nurtured it will never get a chance to bloom

[%sig%]

Guest Scousewegian

Thank you Andy Gray for putting into words the things I would like to say but cannot be arsed.

Some of the posters on this forum should be spin doctors for Tony Blair

If you want to slate the manager then at least try and stick to facts!

Not much to ask is it?

Guest Phil C

Before I reply to the post I must say my opinions are ones based on NOT

Having seen some of the young players in question and this must be taken into

Consideration.

For what it’s worth I think Steve has a point here but the problem is,

IMO it is a practice that GH does NOT have a monopoly on.

From where I’m sitting

All clubs (which can afford it) are indulging in this practice and most of the

Club managers in question are persisting with the foreign imports or Big buys

to justify Their original purchase and therefore the youth in the reserves

or lower are most Possibly Suffering.

This only comes into question by the supporters when things are going badly

Or being perceived to be going badly. With some of the purchases over the last

2 years you could argue the case for a young Christy Brown if he was in the youths

or reserves so with players of potential is it viable for 2 people to see two

opinions .

I hate comparisons with other teams but as an example here goes ,

Arsenal , they obviously have a similar policy

To such and extent they sold Upson and kept Steponovos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(or whatever his name is), united have persisted with Veron more than likely

Due to the small matter of his 28 million fee .So to me most managers

Do this to different extents ,

but the argument here is, whether or not it is effecting the chances of

The home grown players coming through.

To me the litmus test of Steve’s theory is when( or if) a youth team player is

Let go on the cheap or a freebie and makes an impression at an equally sized

Club as our own , then there will be evidence of something .

In Neil Mellor’s case he has just been offered a new long term contract so

There is a possibility that he might make the breakthrough as some stage

rather than not at all . In Steve’s post Neil was used as another stick to beat Emile

with , in truth the same argument could be used as to why Milan( an Import) hasn’t got

a run of games earlier due to Emile poor showings and if are honest I’m

sure there are some 15 year olds at our that would have made a bigger impact on games than Emile has showed over the last year.

I like to know how we compare to other clubs of similar size and expectation

When it comes to home grown players make the breakthrough ?

This is where knowledge of the players such as Welsh and Foley would help

Shape my opinion but as I don’t have it I will give my opinion on other things

Brought up in the original post.

I think you premise that GH is trying to get SH the sack is a bit your opinion , fair enough b ut

How dangerous could it be for GH if a Stevie G was to be coming thought the ranks

Only to be ignored by the boss because he wants the Academy boss sacked?

I know on this form people who have seen him rate John Welsh very highly

But I really can’t imagine there is a sub plot as to why he can’t make the first team other than GH thinking he is not ready. Agree with GH or not on this , I really find it hard

To believe it’s because of a vengeful quest .

Finally I finish with your own quote Steve of

“Few would argue that Liverpool only have two, perhaps three, world class players in Michael Owen, Steven Gerrard and, on past form, Sami Hyypia”

Are we not the supporters who say

“form is temporary class in permanent “ ?

It a good debate nun the less and should not get dragged into the gutter .

[%sig%]

Phil C wrote:

"But I really can’t imagine there is a sub plot as to why he can’t make the first team other than GH thinking he is not ready. Agree with GH or not on this , I really find it hard

To believe it’s because of a vengeful quest ."

I agree with that and I was saying it to Steve just yesterday. It would be so unprofessional to let personal feelings get in the way of success for LFC - which is what everyone is paid to deliver.

[%sig%]

Guest Scousewegian

Dave U:

If thats what happened then it is unfortunate and the lad must be gutted but I cant beleive GH did it on spite.

Was there a reason he couldnt meet the lad or doesnt his side of the story concern you?

I know you find my posts laughable but I write them with words such as loyalty, honesty and fairness in mind, words which some people dont seem to know.

Plenty of people come on here and slag GH but its when its done unfairly I cant stand.

And yes I will "swallow" whatever he throws at me better that than constantly chipping away at him.

i know they are close, when a few of the lads played in the ian frodsham centre at the academy, parry was in goal, and heighway played with a few of the other backroom staff. (parry is a good goalie by the way! - wearing his goalie shirt with "the cat" on the back?!!?)

Just done a bit of snooping on Cherno Samba - the lad grew up in Peckham where I am from - and it seems a lot of the early prodigy years were due to his size in comparison to many of the other young lads. Still learning the trade at Millwall and has his own Icons page.

Looking at stats it seemed he played for the Academy once and got on the scoresheet - is that true Dave U?

Guest Scousewegian

Dave U: Just for the record I supported both Evans and Souness when they were manager until the board decided to get rid.

You could say both were allowed to remain longer than they should have been but rather that than the knee jerk reactions some favour.

Nor has Peter Clarke of Everton, who has been loaned to a couple of Third Division sides - one of which was Blackpool I think. And even when Mellor was getting his short run in the first team he was ignored by Platt.

If Heighway does have that thought then he is wrong. The original point of my article wasnt that we should only be using local youngsters, but that players being brought in from abroad arent up to scratch. If local talent isnt good enough and we have to look elsewhere for quality talent thats fine. Its the likes of Luzi coming in that I have a problem with, especially now it seems Pegguy may well be offered an extra years deal.

[%sig%]

Guest Scousewegian

Come off it, no-one can seriously suggest GH would not play anyone who was good enough just cos he doesnt like where they come from.

Ive heard some stupid comments but that one takes the biscuit!

Its just goes to show the depths some people will sink to to discredit him!!!

Guest Phil C

"Come off it, no-one can seriously suggest GH would not play anyone who was good enough just cos he doesnt like where they come from."

Have to agree with you mate !!

But there are people who obviously think it ,plus as far as "discrediting" GH ,

Every angle is being Utilised and sadly it has gone way beyond football .

[%sig%]