You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Living in London...

Chris

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the posher bits of NW London go, I'd avoid St Johns Wood even if you had the money –very, very, VERY dull, and brimming with thirty and fortysomething ex-pat Americans with jobs in the City.

Swiss Cottage and the bottom end of the Finchley Road are dead nice, and the park's just at the end of the street. Must be insanely pricey these days though.

Plus Ian Wright and Kate Moss live in St Johns Wood. The best place to live in London for me is Kensingto, Hammersmith, Chiswick sides but they can be expensive. If I was on a budget, wanted to be safe, wanted to be close to the centre and accessible to motorways etc you could do a lot worse than Hendon/Cricklewood/Finchley etc.

Just think, Rash is only 30 minutes away Chris. You can go for a pint with him

Runs for cover.

Cheeky bastard, I am a good bloke!

Besides it's less than 30 mins plus I work in Moorgate and my missus family is from Hammersmith so never too far away. Come and join us Col. :D

nice one Chris,

I also live NW (Willesden Green) but wouldn't recommend it, it's dull out here. Most important thing if you're moving into town for the first time is don't live miles away from the centre of town. Zone 2 of the tube if you can afford it (£600 a month will get you a nice flatshare room in some decent parts of town, if you're looking for a studio on the other hand your options will be quite restricted).

If you're going to Baker Street I would suggest somewhere like Hammersmith which is lively enough itself, very convenient for central London, near to fun parts of town like Fulham, and you can nip up to Baker St on the Hammersmith & City line. It's quite studenty but a mixed area really. Shepherd's Bush is also an option but feels bit mire out of the way and is grottier.

If you decide to take people's advice and go NW, then avoid Kilburn/Wilesden/Cricklewood, you've got enough money to go smarter (if you like fried chicken and dirty Irish pubs then it's amazing here but otherwise steer clear). Instead, West Hampstead could be an option (Hampstead proper is prohibitevely expensive) or how about somewhere like Chalk Farm?

Dahn saff can be good value, Clapham is still cheaper than you;d expect although very trendy. Depends what youre into really, I'v got loads of mates in East London (Hackney, etc) who swear by it but I'd not go there unless I had no other options

Nice one fella, good luck

Cricklewood is getting better. Loads of Irish, near to motorways and 30 min walk to West End! Its cheap too but it is little grotty.

For the price, convenience, new shopping centre, studenty and loads of stuff to do plus on the line to Baker Street I'd go with Sheperds Bush or if you love Cockney Asians and real culture you could go with the East End!!