You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mayweather calls out Hatton...

co1-lfc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/6235742.stm

Can't give it a fancy name as I don't know how but this sounds like it's really going to happen to me, Hatton to sign for Golden Boy like I said earlier and we've got a fight of a decade (in my eyes), I've always loved boxing from about 6/7 on both sides of the ropes but seeing as I was so young (even though I still watched and loved them) for the Benn-Eubank fights, this I can appreciate how big it is and can safely say I will be in attendance.:thumbup:

I've followed boxing even longer than you co1 & never thought I would see my personal highlight of attending the McGuigan-Pedrosa fight @ QPR outstripped , but I could die happy if I could see Ricky Hatton knock seven shades of shite out of the utterly detestable Mayweather .

I will be in attendance if its in this country no matter what. I cant see it being anyway but Vegas though and rightly so. I dont want Mayweather having an excuse if he does lose.

I can only see this fight going Mayweathers way though to be honest, I think he would just run and use his quicker hands and feet to keep Hatton off him.

Ricky did have a few things to say after the fight, didn't he? I liked:

"Mayweather might be the pound-for-pound best in the world but I think my style is his worst nightmare. I think I've got the style to beat him. He needs me like he needs a hole in the head."

But my favourite has to be:

"There's a lot of big fights out there, but ultimately my goal is Floyd Mayweather Jr. He's regarded as the best pound for pound fighter, so who wouldn't want to fight him? There was more action in those four rounds than Floyd has had in his whole career."

Pissed myself laughing at that one and I hope there's more to come now that Floyd's got his fire up a little. I can see De La Hoya chipping in too - let's get this one on. MEN Arena, Hatton in the 7th.

Theres little chance of this fight happening in England. That would be too big a risk for Mayweather. I would love it to be at Wembley stadium though, that would be the first super fight at the new stadium and a massive occasion.

Ricky's the best battler I've seen in years; hard as fucking nails. If anyone can unsettle and then beat Mayweather, it's him. What a fight this would be. Let's hope the money men make it happen.

Hatton would get his ass whooped, Mayweather is a big step up from anyone he has fighter and he was right when he said he beat an old Kosta and a past it Castillo those guys were far from at their prime.

That's bollocks, Kosta Tszyu was still at the top of his game. Castillo (who has beaten Mayweather in all but decision and has a similar style to Hatton) was definitely on the decline, but Hatton cleaned him up in four rounds - the first time in his 17 year career he has been down.

I think Hatton would win with a late tko.

I'm not saying that Hatton would definitely win - there's too many permutations in such a fight, but Mayweather will never have faced someone like Ricky.

Yes, Castillo is similar in style but he doesn't have the ferocious body punching that Hatton has. I know that he has been renouned as a good body puncher in his time, but Saturday showed that Hatton is the king of the body punch.

Mayweather is used to boxing and having time to pick his shots - Hatton would be in his face constantly. It would be a cracking fight.

Although it sounds a mouth watering prospect I do not think the fight will be as exciting as many people think. Mayweather's too tactical for it to be a scrap.

De La Hoya or Cotto would have suited Hatton much more.

That's true, but do you think Hatton would allow aything else? He's just an 'in your face' fighter and he wouldn't let it descend into a tactical battle.

Although it sounds a mouth watering prospect I do not think the fight will be as exciting as many people think. Mayweather's too tactical for it to be a scrap.

Yeah you could see Hatton chasing Mayweather for the whole fight landing a few, Mayweather picking him off a few times, then a close majority decision to Mayweather. Unless Ricky hurt him early and got ahead in which case Mayweather would have to come out to fight.

That's bollocks, Kosta Tszyu was still at the top of his game. Castillo (who has beaten Mayweather in all but decision and has a similar style to Hatton) was definitely on the decline, but Hatton cleaned him up in four rounds - the first time in his 17 year career he has been down.

I think Hatton would win with a late tko.

have to disagree about Kosta he was 35 or 36 and was clearly past his best, his peak was in 2000/01 when he beat Zab Judah, Chavez and Mitchell. He started fighting a lot less after that, if he was still at his peak against Hatton he wouldn't of stopped fighting after that fight he would of wanted a rematch. Anyway lets not turn this into a Kosta Tszyu debate on a side note though Kosta fought Roger Mayweather in 95.

Mayweather encourages his opponents to come forward and likes to fight off the ropes. This in theory will favour Hatton if he can get his shots off on time and keep Mayweather on the ropes. Castillo had Mayweather in trouble on the ropes a number of times but just wasnt quick enough or accurate enough to land decisive blows. I think Hatton might just be able to.

It will be an absorbing fight if not a classic.

have to disagree about Kosta he was 35 or 36 and was clearly past his best, his peak was in 2000/01 when he beat Zab Judah, Chavez and Mitchell. He started fighting a lot less after that, if he was still at his peak against Hatton he wouldn't of stopped fighting after that fight he would of wanted a rematch. Anyway lets not turn this into a Kosta Tszyu debate on a side note though Kosta fought Roger Mayweather in 95.
I totally disagree with you there, Tszyu may have been 35 but many fighters have been prime fighters at much older- check out Bernard Hopkins. In the Judah fight he was getting completely out-boxed and had a 20 second burst catching Judah who was very naive in getting up too quick. In the 1st Mitchell fight the fight was quite even before Mitchell retired injured, however in the rematch not long before the Hatton fight Tszyu crushed Mitchell in a brilliant performance. Tszyu's trainer's also commented after the fight with Hatton that they hadn't seen him better prepared. Also he was competitive with Hatton for 11 very tough rounds. There is an argument that perhaps he might not have been at his peak, but if that's the case he was very, very close.

If Mayweather had stopped Castillo in 4 then we would rightly be raving about the performance. Hatton is a true great and it would be 1 of the biggest fights in Boxing history if they fought. Imagine that fight on the same card as Calzaghe V Kessler (never happen though)

I totally disagree with you there, Tszyu may have been 35 but many fighters have been prime fighters at much older- check out Bernard Hopkins. In the Judah fight he was getting completely out-boxed and had a 20 second burst catching Judah who was very naive in getting up too quick.

I would go as far as saying Tszyu stopped Judah with the first punch he landed of the fight. It was a total bolt out of nowhere.

People think Hatton is a simple slugger. He is a good seasoned boxer now and has the skills to fight anyone and give them problems.