You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard/Rush scoring record

RedinSweden

I am getting a bit pissed off that people keep on mentioning that he scored against TNS as part of the record as if Liverpool never played against minnows when Rush was around. The record has to be taken into context though, the fact that you don't have to be Champions to be involved in the CL, the fact that you play more group matches, and the fact that the European ban cut short Rush's chances of scoring more.

But then on the other hand Gerrard is a midfielder, so it is still pretty damn impressive. But the weak opposition argument is just daft. Rush scored against some crap teams too.

kudos to stevie he has done very well to beat Rushie.

If Ian would of played more games which was cut short cos of the ban or if he was playing now then Stevie wouldnt even be close but thats not the case and you can only beat the records in front of you.

well done skip.

I wouldn't wanna take anything away from Gerrard, its just a different game now to when Rushie, played.

Compare the goals to games for the true story.

But fair play Gerrard and Well done

Agree, completley different, structure of competition completley different, more group matches now to increase "matchday revenue"

who did rush score against?

sorry for ignorance, im too young to remember Ian Rush scoring regularly, never mind scoring in the European Cup before 1985,

He scored some vital European goals, I was in no way detracting from his achievements, but they did include some in the earler rounds like Oulu Palloseura (from Finland) and Dundalk.

He scored some vital European goals, I was in no way detracting from his achievements, but they did include some in the earler rounds like Oulu Palloseura (from Finland) and Dundalk.

So now your claiming that Oulu Palloseura was`nt very good?? Bloody hell... What next?....soon you`ll be claiming that Josemi was`nt very quick (did you see him race down towards the CL throphy)and that Salif could`nt do a job?

Get a grip FFS!

So now your claiming that Oulu Palloseura was`nt very good?? Bloody hell... What next?....soon you`ll be claiming that Josemi was`nt very quick (did you see him race down towards the CL throphy)and that Salif could`nt do a job?

Get a grip FFS!

Sorry. I drank too much coffee this morning.

Gerrard's done well in the European Cup, and, as you point out, Rush scored against crap teams too.

But, when we won it in 83-84, we played 9 games: in 2004-5, we played 15 games. In 2005-6, we played 14 without even reaching the quarter-finals. Prior the the start of the Champions League, we did play some dross in the early rounds, but we probably play more easy teams now, because we (usually) end up in the qualifying rounds, and we're often faced with a comparitively weak side at the group stage.

And if Stevie got 3 against TNS, how many would Rushie have got in that game and how many would he have scored in the years we were banned from playing despite winning the title (ie 1985-6, 1988-9, and 1990-1)? Steven Gerrard would never have even played in the European Cup under the old system (unless in a Chelsea shirt....).

I'm glad this issue was brought up here. I've been as irritated by this (and Carra's beating Phil Neal's games record) because it's another facet of the 'football began in 1992' mindset.

Essentially, we're comparing differently formatted competitions, and it's a nice little line for commentators to drone on about, and writers to use as an eye-catching headline.

...is a good point... I kinda got my eras mixed up there.... a bit.

Rush only played in the European Cup when we WON the league. Not came 4th, 3rd or 2nd. So I'm kind of right but not very nicely put eh?!

Nice quoting by the way!

I said that in my original post you big spaz.