You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Phishing

Michael Howard

Got the usual junk phishing email this morning.

Out of interest i went to look at the link and was horrified by how real it was. It was absolutely the image of the hsbc one. I stuck some false digits in and it is spot on until it asks you for all your security digits instead of the usual 3 digits.

No wonder people do still get duped.

http://ml.bqhost.com.br/vendadominio/error.customer.service/

If you are clever and use Firefox you often get a warning. I got this when I clicked on that link:

forgeryen8.jpg

I like the options you get with the warning. To bad the don't have a "Get out of here! Really?"-option aswell. It could replace the "read more" one. That would rule.

As always, check the first part of the IP address.

This bit is most important:

http://look_at_this_bit_first/someshite.html

If this part of the address is not the usual domain you use for the bank etc, then its a phish.

Important tip: In your email software, mouse over the link and it will show you the actual address.

Also bear in mind the link can be anything i.e "Aren't fluffy kittens lovely" but the underlying address can point to "FistFuckersMonthly.com".