You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Four Two Three One - 4-2-3-1

Red Nick

Well Rafa's Preffered system as pointed out by Toshack last week.

First used to real effect by Aime Jacquet in the 1998 World cup.

His system had 3 major ingredients

1 Thuram & Lirazu providing width from Fullback positions

2 keeping the ball

3 A world class playmaker in Zidane.

Rafa developed this system at Valencia and Mourinho took it on board at Porto, with Deco & Aimar being the playmakers.

This system only works if you can keep the ball and pass the opposition to death which CFC have done this year.

Next year with the signings Rafa makes i fear for the players who have given the ball away more than most ie Hyppia, Traore, Riise & Garcia.

They have all played brilliantly but when they have come under pressure they have tended to give the ball away, ala Houllier style.

I think Garcia has the abillity not to give the ball away and has been praised by rafa but also criticised by him for sometimes not playing the simple ball.

With it clear that Kewell is staying and were in for Luque (left) & Joaquin (right) it has huge implications for both Garcia (positional change ) and Riise (maybe away games only)

Traore and Hyppia will also come under pressure and if Evra came in then he would be better at using the ball at LB like finnan is on the right.

Rafa will show his steel this summer and players who have done well this season might be very unlucky next season.

Football is sometimes a very hard game

This system only works if you can keep the ball and pass the opposition to death which CFC have done this year.......

I think Garcia has the abillity not to give the ball away and has been praised by rafa but also criticised by him for sometimes not playing the simple ball.

I've been saying for 3 seasons that our passing is crap. Garcia attempts back-heels and flicks in his own half. He even attempted to beat a man on the edge of our box and lost the ball in a recent home game. He's worth a place in the team at the moment but if we're to move forward he has to cut that out of his game or sit on the bench.

Couldn't agreemoreon Garcia if he cuts out the silly stuff in our own half he will be a far more effective player. Similarly he has to realise that trying to be unpredictable every time he gets the ball merely makes him predictable, often the simple ball is best.

I was fuming with Luis when he tried to do that - it was against Chelsea at home and he dried to skin Lampard. Not the thing to be doing especially with him and his shot.

Luis will be better with better players around him I think. I'm convinced that we haven't yet seen the best of him and next season he'll be a star.

As for the formation Nick I agree totally. Thats the way he sees his team playing. 2 holding midfielders, two wide-men and a playmaker just in behind the main striker.

Its definitely the way forward.

I think our formation will change depedning in opposition.

In effect i think we'll have a base built on 4-4-2.

Which basically is the same as 4-2-3-1.

Very defined roles for certain players.

Dont think we'll have two holding midfielders.

Reckon Xabi will be the more defensive player, starting up attacks. Our Albelda. Gerrard being the more attacking one following up the attacks, our Baraja.

One of the two forwards being more of a link man.

Garcia/Kewell/Morientes possibly Aimar. Although with Rafa after two wingers, supposedly Joaquin and Luque or Vicente i cant really see us going for Aimar aswell...

With Gerrard looking more and more likely to stay, i reckon him and Alonso needs to be our two central midfielders. Gerrard can play in a more advanced position but i feel he aint used to his full potential there and the partnership of him and Alonso has too much potential for it not to be used in it's full capacity.

If Rafa's signings come off we will have one hell of a fuckin team next season.

I agree totally with that.

When I said two holding midfielders I meant as in starting position;

-----GK

RB CB CB LB

--CM CM

RM-------LM

-----AM

-----CF

The two CM's would be Alonso and Gerrard, but Gerrard would have licence to get forward and support the AM.

I love this tactical lark.

Yup i agree. Think that's how Rafa wants to start.

When thinking about the players we might have next season that formation should fit like a glove.

:drool:

-----------Reina-----------

Finnan - Carra- :dunno: - :dunno:

-------Alonso-Gerrard------

Joaquin--------------Vicente

--------------Garcia-------

-------Cisse---------------

Hopefully he has experimented enough with Gerrard this season to realise that the more attacking midfield position negates his true effectiveness.

My line up for next season:

----------Reina--------------

Finnan--Carra--Upson--Riise--

------Alonso--Gerrard--------

Joaquin----------------Garcia

----------Aimar-------------

--------Morientes-----------

Subs:

Carson

Warnock

Hyypia

Kewell

Cisse

Yup i agree. Think that's how Rafa wants to start.

When thinking about the players we might have next season that formation should fit like a glove.

:drool:

-----------Reina-----------

Finnan - Carra- :dunno: - :dunno:

-------Alonso-Gerrard------

Joaquin--------------Vicente

--------------Garcia-------

-------Cisse---------------

Luque's more likely than Viciente as Valencia have just done a property deal at the che that will give them 100m euros and wipe there debts out so they will not need to sell and can buy some class players again, so i also think Aimar wont he happening either

But thets more or less the basics of the team

Luque's more likely than Viciente as Valencia have just done a property deal at the che that will give them 100m euros and wipe there debts out so they will not need to sell and can buy some class players again, so i also think Aimar wont he happening either

But thets more or less the basics of the team

The money they've just got will mean nothing if Vicente and Aimar want out anyway. I've read that they are still in a bit of debt anyway despite this money so it isnt all rosey there + They more than likely wont be in the CL next season aswell

The money they've just got will mean nothing if Vicente and Aimar want out anyway. I've read that they are still in a bit of debt anyway despite this money so it isnt all rosey there + They more than likely wont be in the CL next season aswell

they might not even be in the Uefa cup :tease:

Hopefully mate. Their game at Espanyol tonight is massive for them and massive for Espanyol aswell to be fair.

1-1 at half time but Valencia are down to 10 men. Palop got sent off so they had to bring Canizares on for Caroni.

Aimar is on the bench by the way ;-)

God knows mate. Its a bit weird though, maybe he's playing crap or something when he gets a chance? Still love it if we signed him though.

I've only seen him for a full 90 minutes once and he was awesome against Real Madrid in that game.

Saw a bit of him last week in the Barca game and he did fairly well. Valencia just seem like a club in a mess right now so its hard to gauge exactly whats happening with them.

The president of Valencia came out about a month ago and said that Aimar was definately leaving in the summer that his attitude has been poor this season, he also said that following a disappointing season they needed wholesale changes to be successful again.

The president of Valencia came out about a month ago and said that Aimar was definately leaving in the summer that his attitude has been poor this season, he also said that following a disappointing season they needed wholesale changes to be successful again.

as souness will tell you its a lot easier to sell good players than buy them