You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nicol: Liverpool cannot just be given the title 

TLW

25 minutes ago, Ron B said:

He was very good - brilliant even. But loads of really good players of the past wouldn’t translate to modern day (fairly sure Stanley Matthews wouldn’t have been still playing top flight football at age 50 if he’d been born in 1970, and his aloft approach to other player might not have translated too well either). 

I’m not saying Nicol couldn’t have made it nowadays; I’m saying that his terrible eating habits (notorious even in the days before proper nutrition was introduced to football) would have been a big problem. So he would have either had to make a fundamental change, or it would have hammered him. If he’s bitter about missing out on mega-money then he’s a fool, because he made a good living, whilst living the lifestyle he wanted to.

You’re right about his ability to midfield though - he was playing midfield when he scored that hat-trick...

That’s not what you said, if you had I couldn’t have argued with it. 

“Nicol would have been crucified today - or worse, would have been some thick comedy Jimmy Bullard character.”.

Is what you said. Which is absolute fucking shite mate. 

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

Apart from being a pathetic, shit pundit, that’s absolute bollocks. 

Nicol was world class. Could play either full back position, in midfield and even at CB on occasion. 

Which other defender do you know that’s scored a hat-trick? 

Big Alvin Martin.

1 hour ago, Rotpeter said:

Big Alvin Martin.

St Wifreds Litherland, Alvin Martin also Gary Williams from round our way, he played in the Brighton v Man Utd final, he got goal of the season the year Brighton done the double over Notts Forest, a cracker that Clough said after the game was a fluke, something like a Left Back scoring like that was a fluke, might be wrong, but he beat Shilton from about 25 yards, around 79/80?

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Mark Lawrenson too,but I think he was playing in midfield on the day.

Steve Staunton did playing up top in the League Cup.

On another note Terry Mac was a great trainer and did a lot of running during games, he really really liked a pint, which was sweated out in training wearing a bin bag.

46 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Steve Staunton did playing up top in the League Cup.

On another note Terry Mac was a great trainer and did a lot of running during games, he really really liked a pint, which was sweated out in training wearing a bin bag.

In those days, players had the freedom to, within reason, eat and drink what they liked. Liverpool players knew the rules and were, by and large, expected to police themselves. However, if they took the piss and were deemed to have stepped out of line, they were were punished. For example, Jimmy Case was bombed out to Brighton.

14 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

In those days, players had the freedom to, within reason, eat and drink what they liked. Liverpool players knew the rules and were, by and large, expected to police themselves. However, if they took the piss and were deemed to have stepped out of line, they were were punished. For example, Jimmy Case was bombed out to Brighton.

To separate him and Terry Mac as they were best mates I heard.

i don't get this whole Liverpool can't just be handed the title shit last time i looked we were 25 points ahead and nobody has a chance in hell of catching us. I swear these pundits just love the sound of there own voices 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

To separate him and Terry Mac as they were best mates I heard.

Case and Ray Kennedy were best mates, weren’t they? They used to bevvy with Terry McDermott, etc. From memory, the straw that broke the camel’s back was an incident in a hotel when Kennedy had a fight with a member of staff and Case waded in, in support of his mate. 

4 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Case and Ray Kennedy were best mates, weren’t they? They used to bevvy with Terry McDermott, etc. From memory, the straw that broke the camel’s back was an incident in a hotel when Kennedy had a fight with a member of staff and Case waded in, in support of his mate. 

I know they were good mates, Case was a very good player as you know, but we wanted Lawrenson didn’t we?