You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burning Question: "Should Gerrard have pulled out of the England squad?

tlw content

Himself today:

"The defeat has hurt us, and it's one that will teach us a lot, but I am not prepared to go down that very clear philosophical route that we aren't moving in the right direction and we don't have the players who can do what Germany have done."

What the fuck is he even on about? It's as if we can't ever be rid of him, now he's got our players health in his clammy hands.

Unless he gets injured, Suarez should be ok. The time difference now is only 2 hours, so no fear of jet lag.

Uruguay are up 5-0. If they score some first half goals the tie is over - it is already. Maybe the manager will give Suarez a break for the second half. What about the bitters, any of their dross on far off international duty?

About 7 of their starting line-up will be away on internationals, all in Europe by the looks of it. Distin, Barry, Pienaar (who doesn't appear to be in the South Africa squad), Osman all having a rest.

That's his business.

However, if I played for the club I had supported since I was a boy, which I also happened to captain and who pay me over £5m a year, and we had the biggest game of the season, so far, at the weekend; well, if I thought there was even a 1% chance of me not being at my best, by playing in a meaningless friendly, I would tell the manager to go fuck himself.

• Upvote 3

That's his business.

However, if I played for the club I had supported since I was a boy, which I also happened to captain and who pay me over £5m a year, and we had the biggest game of the season, so far, at the weekend; well, if I thought there was even a 1% chance of me not being at my best, by playing in a meaningless friendly, I would tell the manager to go fuck himself.

No-one...and I mean no-one...

...a fixture any pro wants to be involved in, whatever his nationality...

I doubt that. I suspect the majority of football, including European countries, look on the fuss created over this fixture with bemusement. In fact, I suspect most Germans look on with bemusement over the fuss generated in England about this fixture.

With us out of Europe, and with a World Cup in sight,I can fully understand Gerrard wanting to play against Germany, a fixture any pro wants to be involved in, whatever his nationality.To captain the side is an even greater honour.

It's hardly as if his place in the team is under threat.. 

Well, I just hope he wants to get involved in our matches in May if we're still in with a chance to earn a place in the Cl. Maybe even get an injection, if necessary.

You know, club first seems to be an outmoded concept in some cases. Good to know.

Club first has never been in mode, except with managers of some clubs since the advent of the CL. It should always be seen as a high point of anyone's career to captain their national team.

If we were playing Barcelona or Real Madrid tomorrow in a prestige friendly and Gerrard needed injections to play then we'd be stupid to risk him ahead of an important league game at the weekend.  The same should apply to England in my opinion.

Gerrard's wish to play shouldn't come into it and the club should be insisting that he doesn't play.  If he doesn't play on Saturday or he's under par then he's going to come in for a lot of shit and deservedly so.

• Upvote 1

Club first has never been in mode, except with managers of some clubs since the advent of the CL. It should always be seen as a high point of anyone's career to captain their national team.

Sure, and if he was healthy, I'd agree. Only he isn't, he needs an injection to play. This before, to me anyway, one of the 2 most important games of the season, made doubly so by our close proximity to them in the table.

My gut tells me he won't be there on Saturday, the same way he wasn't there against Arsenal after similar circumstances. Sorry, captain or no, can't accept that anymore.

That's just the thing though: It's Steven Gerrard. He's not going to be benched for a derby. Injection or no injection. He'll play for England and his club and I doubt there are any managers around who can tell him otherwise. Roy won't want egg on his face after the defeat last week - so the captain of England plays. Rodgers certainly isn't going to bench his captain before a Merseyside derby.

That's just the thing though: It's Steven Gerrard. He's not going to be benched for a derby. Injection or no injection. He'll play for England and his club and I doubt there are any managers around who can tell him otherwise. Roy won't want egg on his face after the defeat last week - so the captain of England plays. Rodgers certainly isn't going to bench his captain before a Merseyside derby.

Doesn't it depend on how Rodgers reacts?  I'd like to know his views on this.

Well, I just hope he wants to get involved in our matches in May if we're still in with a chance to earn a place in the Cl. Maybe even get an injection, if necessary.

You know, club first seems to be an outmoded concept in some cases.

Gerrard has sweated blood and put his body on the line for LFC over a long time, his commitment to our cause is beyond question.

As for "club first" when was that in currency? Our club's success has been founded over the past fifty years on international players. It's part of the deal of being a big club. The time to worry is when we DON'T have players on international duty.

Few players get to represent their country, fewer still get to captain them. Playing against Germany in an international is a highlight in any players' career, as is being involved in a world cup that is to be played in Brazil, something only twenty one Englishmen have ever done, only one of whom was a Liverpool player, the great Laurie Hughes.

England have only played Germany (inc West germany) 28 times in the past 83 years, it is a fixture steeped in Football history- of course Gerrard wants to be involved, anyone would.

• Upvote 1

Gerrard has sweated blood and put his body on the line for LFC over a long time, his commitment to our cause is beyond question.

As for "club first" when was that in currency? Our club's success has been founded over the past fifty years on international players. It's part of the deal of being a big club. The time to worry is when we DON'T have players on international duty.

Few players get to represent their country, fewer still get to captain them. Playing against Germany in an international is a highlight in any players' career, as is being involved in a world cup that is to be played in Brazil, something only twenty one Englishmen have ever done, only one of whom was a Liverpool player, the great Laurie Hughes.

England have only played Germany (inc West germany) 28 times in the past 83 years, it is a fixture steeped in Football history- of course Gerrard wants to be involved, anyone would.

I'm not going to argue this. But it's a bit ironic on the day when Ronnie Whelan is talked about that some people think that only Steven Gerrard has been a servant to the fecking club.

You know what would be a fecking greater fecking honour? For a Liverpool captain to lift the League trophy again, something I'd sorely like to see again before I kick it off. I honestly think we have a chance at it again, but then it's true I always think such until reality sets in.

Big club, eh? We were once, we can be again if we have a committment to what we're trying to achieve. I respect what Gerrard has done for the club, but it's no more than a hell of a lot of other lads did over the years. I hope he comes through this Germany shite and gets stuck in against the bitters early on, at least to show the other players what this fecking game actually means to Liverpool supporters.

Whereas the derby is just some second rate kickabout...

No-one appreciates the significance of the Merseyside Derby more than Gerrard, a fixture he has graced on many occasions.

But this fixture is being played for the 200th time this weekend, and hundreds have played in it.The rarity value of the Germany fixture and its history makes it special for any player.More or less special? just different I would say.

• Upvote 1

No-one appreciates the significance of the Merseyside Derby more than Gerrard, a fixture he has graced on many occasions.

But this fixture is being played for the 200th time this weekend, and hundreds have played in it.The rarity value of the Germany fixture and its history makes it special for any player.More or less special? just different I would say.

Feck me, then. Fair enough, mate, but if I'm honest I'd trade 50 goals against Germany, or any other foreign club, for one game winner against them at Goodison. And I'd linger on the pitch for an hour taunting them, if I could.

Rarity value.

Marvellous stuff, Stuart.

Best hope England don't setup any friendlies against Western Samoa, or Neptune.

• Upvote 3

I can see both sides, the timing is shitty.  Personally though all I care about is Liverpool and I think ultimately that's where his loyalties should lie in this situation.  On the other hand he worked really hard to become England captain and won't want to lose the armband, and he is racking up caps, overtaking legends etc.  So there's a lot to consider but at the weekend we have a derby to win, and a few more tricky games after that.  These shitty shit friendlies are shit.