You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers needs time at Liverpool - Houllier

Guest LFD

Brendan Rodgers needs time at Liverpool - Houllier

Gerard Houllier is confident that Brendan Rodgers is the right manager to bring success back to Liverpool.

But the former Reds boss has urged the club to be patient with Rodgers as he rebuilds his squad and implements his own ideas at Anfield.

"You need to give him time," Houllier told BBC Radio Merseyside. "He's starting a new cycle with the team.

"It will take a minimum of two years, maybe three, to achieve success. If the owners are patient, it will come good."

Liverpool are 12th in the Premier League, having taken 10 points from their first nine matches, while qualification for the knockout stages of the Europa League is far from guaranteed, despite the Reds lying top of their group.

And the Reds lost their chance to defend the League Cup after losing 3-1 at home to Rodgers' old club Swansea on Wednesday.

But the former Watford and Reading boss has drawn praise for the way he has adapted to life as manager of one of the biggest clubs in Europe, his attempts to get Liverpool playing attractive passing football, and his willingness to put faith in youngsters such as Raheem Sterling, Jonjo Shelvey, Andre Wisdom and Suso.

Houllier has described the 39-year-old from Northern Ireland as a "brave" manager and believes that quality will endear him to Liverpool supporters.

"I think he will [get time] because now the fans know that he wants to play a certain style that suits the team very well," added the Frenchman, who was manager of Liverpool between 1998 and 2004.

"He's also giving a chance to young players. There were three or four players below the age of 20 in a big derby. When experience comes along, they will get better and better.

"He doesn't look as if he lacks courage. Brendan is brave and he took some important decisions before the derby game with Everton [which ended in a 2-2 draw]."

While the emergence of young players like teenage winger Sterling have made headlines this season, Houllier says Liverpool's talisman remains captain Steven Gerrard, a stalwart of the 65-year-old's successful six-year tenure at Anfield.

"The influence that Steven had in the Everton game was just as good as some important games he has played in the past," he added.

"In big games, you have big players.

"He and Michael Owen played in the first team before the age of 20. It was the same with Robbie Fowler, although he was a little bit earlier.

"They all belonged to that generation of players that won a lot of things with Liverpool at the time."

BBC Sport - Brendan Rodgers needs time at Liverpool - Houllier

he is right. it's not rodgers fault, just need more fuckin players and less shite like downing and cole etc - simple.

A little bit of it is Rodgers fault. We were fairly solid at the back last year and though our finishing was shit we still managed to create chances. At the minute tactically we look ripe for being raped by a number of sides. I don't actually quite see this system we are aiming for we play high defensively yet nobody gets forward. I didn't see enough of Swansea to know what Rodgers gameplay is or where he wants it to head.

I don't know it's all a bit weird with us at the minute. Zidane said of the selling of makelele why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the engine. For me it feels like Rodgers is all about the gold paint. That's probably just the impression he gives but I'd rather we had the engine ready before we start getting fancy.

Well said, Ged.

Undoubtedly Rodgers has made a couple of mistakes, but I made the point before he was appointed that if we were to go down the young manager route, we'd need to be patient and allow him to learn from any mistakes he makes. After three months and nine league games into the job, we really can't be going around saying 'sack him' or 'not good enough' because we're do we go from here? Another rebuilding job? A fifth gaffer in four years? If the next one has another iffy start, do we start calling for his head?

As Houllier said there, we're at the beginning of a cycle. We've got a thin squad (both Rodgers and FSG have to split the blame on that one, but I know who should have to deal with the bulk of it), deadwood aplenty and we've been in a slump for around three years now. If you thought that all of that would be addressed in three months, then I don't know what to say. You're quite clearly mental.

Guest San Don
A little bit of it is Rodgers fault. We were fairly solid at the back last year and though our finishing was shit we still managed to create chances. At the minute tactically we look ripe for being raped by a number of sides. I don't actually quite see this system we are aiming for we play high defensively yet nobody gets forward. I didn't see enough of Swansea to know what Rodgers gameplay is or where he wants it to head.

I don't know it's all a bit weird with us at the minute. Zidane said of the selling of makelele why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the engine. For me it feels like Rodgers is all about the gold paint. That's probably just the impression he gives but I'd rather we had the engine ready before we start getting fancy.

Yes we were solid at the back last year but imho, that was down to steve clarke.

One thing Ged didnt mention is that Rodgers needs a budget, a fucking big one because despite what people may think about the young lads, they wont carry us to success this side of 4 or 5 years.

I hope Rodgers gets near the amount of success and trophies Houllier gave us.

Although I remember saying last summer that if Kenny managed half of what Benitez did' date=' we'd be very fortunate. Sadly, I was far too optimistic and he delivered our worst league campaign since Souness was in charge[/quote']

I hope Rodgers gets the money Houllier had. And I hope his teams don't bring us the eye searingly ugly football that houlliers teams used to serve up.

Give Rodgers time? Certainly. Rome wasn't built in a day. Results haven't been so good but at least we play some attractive football. What we need to do is bring in a striker as a matter of utmost priority to support Suarez this window. Absolutely essential. Get red of more of the dead wood try on more young players. That's the only assured, albeit gradual, path to success.