You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Early thoughts on Rodgers

fowler9

Guest davelfc
Some seriously precious and sensitive little lambs on here to get upset over those comments. He is praising our supporters and the atmosphere created that night all the way through the interview, he says he believes the ball didn't cross the line but the goal was given because of how powerful the crowd were. Really don't see anything for people to be offended about, it's not like this was Lampard v Germany conclusive. Christ.

Do you believe he could have chosen a better example? I do.

It's 12th man, not an extra official. However nice of him to warn the ref not to be swayed by the crowd. Thought that was the Zenit managers job.

Like I said, poor from him. Not going to dwell on it after tonight, let's just hope he gets the players up for this, the crowd know what we have to do.

Exactly.

Seems that some people just wait for something to come up in the media so they can slate him.

Personally, I don't really give a fuck.

I've kind of got used to his press style, and his honesty is refreshing.

He used the term "ghost goal". So what? Really. He has praised tge supporters Right the way through his time here and Was doing so throughout the interview. Im not his number 1 fan and plenty of what he has said has irked me at times, but comparisons with Hodgson are laughable.

Guest davelfc
He used the term "ghost goal". So what? Really. He has praised tge supporters Right the way through his time here and Was doing so throughout the interview. Im not his number 1 fan and plenty of what he has said has irked me at times, but comparisons with Hodgson are laughable.

I agree with this. People should stop that comparison immediately.

Guest San Don

TBH absolutely honest, Im not in the least bit surprised he's come out with those comments.

Obviously, people can be incandescent about his comments on the 'ghost goal' or not, and, "For me, it wasn’t a goal,” saying people are far too precious, that's their opinion.

But to me, it just adds more evidence that he's not the man for us nor is he the motivator of men we need, especially for tonight's game.

As I said, judge him at the end of the season.

So basically he has effectively come out and said "The Liverpool support was that good they were worth a goal to their team that night", and people have taken issue with that.

And those comments are further evidence that he isn't the right man for us? Get a fucking grip San Don.

I'd rather he had said it exactly that way, Randy.

Anyway, it's the players and team we need him to inspire today.

We can get Bobby Chariot in to warm up the crowd.

So basically he has effectively come out and said "The Liverpool support was that good they were worth a goal to their team that night", and people have taken issue with that.

And those comments are further evidence that he isn't the right man for us? Get a fucking grip San Don.

I think its worth noting who the majority of people taking issue with it are, Andy.

Guest San Don

Get a fucking grip yourself. My comments are pretty neutral on the comments overall and state everyone has their own opinion.

You want to try climbing down from that high horse of yours.

I think its worth noting who the majority of people taking issue with it are, Andy.

And who is this 'majority' exactly, robbie?

Guest San Don
No, the ones who use any excuse to have a dig and think that saying 'I'm still behind him' or 'Judge him at the end of the season' means anything when its clear as day that they want him out but havent got the stones to admit as much.

Oh I see. So repeatedly saying 'judge him at the end of the season' doesnt mean that anymore and no one is allowed to speak of any reservations?

Instead, people have to have decided up front that he should be dumped mid season only they dont have the 'stones' to admit it?

How very quaint of you robbie. How very, very naive of you too.

I think he was using the one example in his mind, one that he witnessed, as to how the fans can make a difference. Of course to him at the time he wouldnt have thought it was a goal, he was part of the opposition. He is merely quoting the term that Mourinho made well known, "ghost goal".

People may sit on their hands with down turned gobs tonight, but it wont be because of anything Rodgers has said.

To pick holes in Rodgers for what he said is pointless at best and silly at worst. There are far more important things to worry about.

Oh I see. So repeatedly saying 'judge him at the end of the season' doesnt mean that anymore and no one is allowed to speak of any reservations?

Instead, people have to have decided up front that he should be dumped mid season only they dont have the 'stones' to admit it?

How very quaint of you robbie. How very, very naive of you too.

If you wanted to judge him at the end of the season you wouldnt be saying stuff like 'its further proof that he isnt the right man for us' would you? Or does that mean 'judge him at the end of the season' in San Don's warped little world?

are people really getting worked up about this? Its nothing like the shite Hodgson came out with, Hodgson took the piss out of this club and everything it stood for with his comments

Brendan has called on the Fans to make a good atmosphere and cited an example where he thinks it helped us, for whats its worth having seen it hundreds of times since I'm still not sure whether it went in or not but who fucking cares!

Guest San Don
If you wanted to judge him at the end of the season you wouldnt be saying stuff like 'its further proof that he isnt the right man for us' would you? Or does that mean 'judge him at the end of the season' in San Don's warped little world?

You really cant put a coherent argument together can you, robbie? Do you not understand reasoned argument?

It's based on the collective weight of evidence. Some people like yourself evidently, believe you just look at one fact and make a judgement. But the reality of it is, you take a series of instances, good, bad and indifferent, analyse them then reach a reasoned conclusion.

Hence, my comment about it being 'further proof.' Just because it's 'further proof' doesnt mean in isolation it is conclusive proof. That's where the 'judge him at the end of the season' when all the evidence (as it were) is available comes in.

Edited by San Don
added 'comes in' so robbie can understand

Generally, Rodgers continues to perform well with the media. Microanalysing the Chelsea comments gives them a significance that was not intended.

What Rodgers has grasped quickly is the importance of setting the agenda with the media, if the manager doesn't, the press will fill the void.

Robbieorr is a little sensitive about those who voice concerns over Rodgers. Everyone knew he was an odds against gamble on appointment, but a gamble that would pay off handsomely if it worked. I don't think that initial assessment has changed one bit.

He has outlived Roy,and is likely to improve upon KK's league position and points total for last season. That will be enough to give him a second season.

Get a fucking grip yourself. My comments are pretty neutral on the comments overall and state everyone has their own opinion.

You want to try climbing down from that high horse of yours.

And who is this 'majority' exactly, robbie?

No high horse here mate.

He was praising the supporters. It's blindingly obvious to see that. Managers are interviewed and asked questions which they have to answer on the spot. Every statement or comment they make isn't carefully worded by a PR advisor. Just because he hasn't worded it 100% perfectly for some people he gets stick for it, despite the fact he is lauding us the supporters as being worthy of a goal that night in 2005. It's the highest praise he can give. Maybe I'm naive or it's passed over my head but I really don't see what on earth he has said to provoke such disgust from people, let alone to use it as further evidence that he isn't up to the job. It's fucking crazy.

So basically he has effectively come out and said "The Liverpool support was that good they were worth a goal to their team that night"' date=' and people have taken issue with that.

And those comments are further evidence that he isn't the right man for us? Get a fucking grip San Don.[/quote']

I agree. Totally. The only reason he described it as the "ghost goal" is because such incidents can be described with one simple phrase. We knew exactly what goal he was on about rather than him saying "you know that goal in the semi-final of the 2005 champions league campaign, against Chelsea. The one which nobody actually can say for certain it went in, well because of your amazing noise and pressure on the officials acting like the 12th man they gave it.

What if now it was the other way round and Rafa started coming out because he's at Chelsea saying he didn't think it was a goal? Rodgers was part of the Chelsea staff, of course he's going to think it wasn't a goal! Is that hard to believe? At least he's sticking to his opinions.

you take a series of instances, good, bad and indifferent, analyse them then reach a reasoned conclusion.

Hence, my comment about it being 'further proof.' Just because it's 'further proof' doesnt mean in isolation it is conclusive proof. That's where the 'judge him at the end of the season' when all the evidence (as it were) is available comes in.

You will be horrified to know that I agree with that San Don, good points, well made.

I agree completely.

Just another storm in a teacup for those who live their lives looking for a reason to get their knickers in a twist.