You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steve Coppell quits football

gkmacca

Resigned again. Of course, when measured in Coppell Time, he's been there ages, but it's still a mystery why players keep signing for 'exciting new projects' with Steve - it's fortunate if he stays long enough to welcome them through the door. Good luck Jamo!

BBC Sport - Football - Steve Coppell quits as Bristol City manager

*This was breaking news when I tried to post it, but the pages are loading so slowly it's probably ready for deleting now!

He's a real puzzle. A supposedly bright bloke who keeps taking on projects only for it 'to become clear' to him a few weeks later that he's not interested. I bet his wife dreads eating out with him:

STEVE: Erm, let's see...oh yeah, yum yum, I'll have the chicken!

WAITER: Here's your chicken, sir.

STEVE: Erm, it's become clear to me that I hate chicken. And I don't like this restaurant. And I'm not even hungry. Sorry about that.

Which is his shorter job Bristol city or Man City must be a close run thing

City lasted only 33 DAYS! It's a bit unfair that Keegan gets branded a mere quitter for extricating himself from certain really complicated situations, whereas Coppell keeps flitting in and out of jobs and he's never had half the flak. A nutty bloke. Being a Red but signing for the mancs should have given people a clue early on.

City lasted only 33 DAYS! It's a bit unfair that Keegan gets branded a mere quitter for extricating himself from certain really complicated situations, whereas Coppell keeps flitting in and out of jobs and he's never had half the flak. A nutty bloke. Being a Red but signing for the mancs should have given people a clue early on.

He's from the Wirral isnt he so thats why he's a loon...

I agree though, Coppell gets lauded at times in the press yet this shit house bails even when things are going well.

James will get it I agree with whoever said that

Eccentric yeah.

Quitter no!! - look at his Palace and Reading records.

tbh when he left Reading I did not foresee him getting another job as he seemed to have lost the heart for it - and this has proved my hunch right.

Feel like many fellow reds tho are quick to name call any non LFC people - yeah for some its right but to me Coppell is OK - once he stopped playing for MU I've always thoyught that.

After one long spell at palace he's just been taking the piss. Weird.

Crystal Palace (first spell; 1984–1993)

- alomost nine years in charge.

Crystal Palace (second spell; 1995–1996)

- one year as Director of football.

Manchester City (1996)

- 33 days in charge..

Crystal Palace (third spell; 1997–1998

- 19 months in charge.

Crystal Palace (fourth spell; 1999–2000)

- nine months in charge.

Brentford (2001–2002)

- eleven months in charge.

Brighton & Hove Albion (2002–2003)

Reading (2003–2009)

- almost six years in charge.

Bristol City (2010)

- three months in charge.

Think i read somewhere he suffers from depression. That would explain it i think.

I guess so, but you'd think by now other people would be wary even if he's not. Legally he must have dragged himself into loads of depressing situations because of his contrariness. He's made himself into a real-life Little Britain sketch.

After one long spell at palace he's just been taking the piss. Weird.

Crystal Palace (first spell; 1984–1993)

- alomost nine years in charge.

Crystal Palace (second spell; 1995–1996)

- one year as Director of football.

club reached the final of the First Division Play-Offs where they lost 2-1 to Leicester City after extra time.

Manchester City (1996)

- 33 days in charge..

Crystal Palace (third spell; 1997–1998

- 19 months in charge.

He secured another promotion via the play-offs after only 6 months in the job.

Became Director of football again when relegation was confirmed next season

Crystal Palace (fourth spell; 1999–2000)

- nine months in charge.

Palarce were in trouble. With relegation seeming a realistic possibility, he guided the club to respectable finishes of 14th and 15th in the league

Brentford (2001–2002)

Coppell took them to the Division Two play-off final in 2002 after they had narrowly missed out on automatic promotion, conceding a late equaliser to Coppell's future side Reading in a 2nd v 3rd end of season decider. They lost in the playoff final to Stoke. After this, Coppell resigned citing the club's lack of finances

Brighton & Hove Albion (2002–2003)

In his first full season Brighton pushed hard for promotion, but Coppell received a job offer from Reading, which he accepted, despite the Seagulls topping the Division Two table (which they went on to win).

Reading (2003–2009)

- almost six years in charge.

set a new English league record for the number of points won in a season, with 106

Bristol City (2010)

- three months in charge.

Signed David James

There are two ways to read that.

Mourinho jumps from rich club to club having success. Coppell is a shithouse.

Does.Not.Compute.

No one loves a quitter. If it's not for him, fair enough and I'd prob have done the same thing. It's difficult to truly grasp a job until you're charged with doing it. He doesn't need the money and given his depression problems, doesn't need the negative emotion. He did a great job at Reading, is worth watching as a pundit and I wish him all the best.