You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest LFD

I think this guy has got too much criticism so far this season.

Personally I think he's been one of our best performers so far, after Johnson and Reina.

He seems to be taking a lot of the criticism for the performance, despite playing better than most around him. It seems that he is also taking the bulk of the blame that he is not good enough to replace Alonso.

Well to be fair to Lucas, he isn't the replacement for Alonso - Aquilani is. Also I don't think the leading players in the team have performed any better in Torres, Gerrard, Carragher and his midfield partner in Mascherano.

I don't like the partnership between Mascherano and Lucas in midfield. As I have stated, I think we need some more class on the ball, which Gerrard can provide, Alonso did in the past and hopefully Aquilani will do in the future.

However that is not to say I don't rate Lucas. I think he's upped his game this season, is working hard, passing well and getting forward - far more than Alonso used to, for example.

I think he can play well with Gerrard and hopefully Aquilani in the future, as I'm not sure Mascherano is needed in every game - especially when we are doiminating possession, as Lucas is more likely to score than Mascherano and is a better passer, in my opinion.

I think it is time this guy is cut some slack. He's back up to Aquilani and Mascherano in reality and he's performing well this season, shame others around him aren't. I don't like the combination with Mascherano, but that is not to say, I don't like Lucas.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah he's had three years here and he hasn't improved, certain other players just walked into the first team and you knew immediately that they had what it takes. He's had support over the years but it's been gradually eroded by his insipid performances, which are the rule not the norm. I know people like to trumpet stuff that it's not the Liverpool Way to slag off our players, and to be fair people rarely do it in the ground, but there comes a point where you have to be ruthless and cut players loose who aren't going to improve.

I still maintain he'd do better in Spain and Italy where there's more space and a slower pace.

He is shit. How many fucking games has he played and he lives off a good 20 minutes against Everton and a pass against Newcastle. It is not a good thing when out of 50+ games you can only pick two good moments against two shit sides.

So you don't think he's been one of our better performers this season?

I think he has.

So you don't think he's been one of our better performers this season?

I think he has.

Still not good enough though.

I have nothing against him but even a 100% improvement from him will mean only 30% of what Xabi was able to offer.

Him and Mascherano in the middle means lot of frustration for our front 4.

I think we will see lot of games when Gerrard will be asked to go back to the middle for the last 30 mins - at least until Aqualini gets fit.

I literally just laughed out loud.

Why?

It seems people are just going to call Lucas shit regardless of performance.

Sure he's no world beater. But he's working hard, passing better than Mascherano and getting forward.

He's back up for Mascherano and Aquilani, who should be first choice. But it seems all people can say is he's shit (without backing up this view) and blaming him for why we have started the season poorly.

I think if the leading players had started the season better it might have helped him as well. I think this was partly why Benitez criticised Gerrard publically for this reason.

I think we will see lot of games when Gerrard will be asked to go back to the middle for the last 30 mins - at least until Aqualini gets fit.

Instead of Mascherano rather than Lucas?

That's what happened in the last game. Think this showed who was passing better, more likely to help us win the game and who was performing better.

Lucas is no world beater, but some of the criticism he's getting for being back up, is ridiculous.

People also keep comparing him to Alonso, which I don't think is fair.

I agreee he has been one of our better players so far this season. Far better than Gerrard (up until last weekend possibly) and Torres and only behind Johnson for me.

There is also no point ln getting on his back now as nothing can be changed until January, or maybe when AA gets back. He has got his chance now whether you like it or not and it is surely in all our interests to get behind him and hope he can succeed.

Would he get into either Arsenal , Utd's or Chelsea's first 11 I ask myself ?

Well he'd probably get in their squad (not Chelsea, but then again we haven't had 25+ million to spend on individual players, like they have).

He's back up for us, he'd be back up for most of them.

I can't believe you'd blame Gerrard for Lucas being what he is, it's the responsibility falls squarely on Lucas, he's been here for a while, longer than some other players who have made more notable contributions.

I am saying the senior players have not started the season well, by their standards - Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano, Carragher.

Benitez publically stated that Gerrard needed to up his game. Probably because the new players in Johnson and the back up in Lucas, are two of our better players thus far this season.

Lucas often gets described (not just by you LFD) as "not a world beater" or similar.

Its just code for ordinary. He's not shit, he's just bland.

He's footballing Polenta.

Babel is worse and doesnt get as much stick.....

You appear to have missed the 454,215 threads (including one on the first page) where Babel gets just as much stick.

There's no point even trying....

He's been judjed here and thats that...

Just the way dirk was 2 seasons ago, not good enough yadda yadda yadda.......

He gets more stick I'd say, he certainly has less people defending him. But he doesn't play as much so he gets the stick less frequently than Lucas, who plays every game. Babel has started one game this season, and he got fucking slaughtered. You want people to slag him off in games he hasn't even featured?

Well he'd probably get in their squad (not Chelsea, but then again we haven't had 25+ million to spend on individual players, like they have).

He's back up for us, he'd be back up for most of them.

I am saying the senior players have not started the season well, by their standards - Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano, Carragher.

Benitez publically stated that Gerrard needed to up his game. Probably because the new players in Johnson and the back up in Lucas, are two of our better players thus far this season.

I'm not even going into Rafa's comments on Gerrard. Gerrard has had one stinker, one excellent game and two above average games. Torres has done what's asked of him, scored goals. When they have bad games, players like Lucas should be stepping in, not expecting these players to carry him.

There's no point even trying....

He's been judjed here and thats that...

Just the way dirk was 2 seasons ago, not good enough yadda yadda yadda.......

If you think Babel doesn't get as much stick as Lucas then you haven't been around that much.

Instead of Mascherano rather than Lucas?

That's what happened in the last game. Think this showed who was passing better, more likely to help us win the game and who was performing better.

Lucas is no world beater, but some of the criticism he's getting for being back up, is ridiculous.

People also keep comparing him to Alonso, which I don't think is fair.

I said the Mascherano/Lucas partnership won't work. Yes, Rafa substituted Mascherano last time but this doesn't mean Lucas was playing like Zidane.

I agree some of the criticism he gets is probably over the top, but end of the day, he is just not good enough to start for a team that is supposed to challenge for the championship.

And no one is comparing him to Alonso - I just said even a double improvement from him will still be less than half of what Alonso did. Even with Alonso, we couldn't win the title so you can imagine how our title challenge will go with Lucas starting games week in week out.