You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Jairzinho said:

27-1 after 10 wasn't the problem for India. The problem for India was Kohli and Sharma getting out just as they'd started accelerating. Both ending up with strike rates below 100. It put too much pressure on the batsmen coming in.

Fully agree, but England have bowled well apart from Woods, Stokes was also expensive but he is irreplaceable in this set up and normally bowls better. Bairstow will no doubt get man of the match, but Woakes has been excellent and kept India quiet from the off, took an early wicket and a very good catch. 

Guest Pistonbroke

India just going for RR now. No chance of winning. Good batting from England up top but need to carry that on, still got an impressive total and I'll stand by my comment that people were reading this pitch wrong. Bowl well and it wasn't quite the flat track, and England bowled well in the big scheme of things.

Sets up a tantalising game V NZ, we must win it, as I reckon Pakistan will probably turn up against Bangladesh if India beat Bangladesh and they can no longer qualify.  It's at Chester Lee street, Durham. So Woods knows that ground well, although I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Ali come back in at Wood's expense. In our own hands, which is always good. NZ will still qualify if it's a tight loss as their net RR is way better than Pakistan.  S/L will be out of the equation. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Funny old game, India unbeaten and the form team and yet we beat them, India also made Australia look ordinary yet they tonked us. Kind of backs up the form on the day is important, also a bit of luck. Both Bairstow and Roy could have been out cheaply but gave us an excellent platform. Impressed with Woakes and Archer with the ball and Plunkett was handy. Hopefully we can take this into the game V NZ, although that Durham wicket will suit their bowlers. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I'd imagine because...they don't give a fuck!

Feel a bit for Sri Lanka, they might end up getting knocked out of the tournament by virtue of the rain.

Would they have beaten Bangladesh and Pakistan though? They are so inconsistent and if they lose early wickets they have a soft middle order. 

8 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Would they have beaten Bangladesh and Pakistan though? They are so inconsistent and if they lose early wickets they have a soft middle order. 

They wouldn't have needed to. Could have won one of them and upped their run rate or something. 

If, for example, they win today and their last game, and England lose their last game, both teams would end up on 10 points from their nine games.

England - Played nine, won five, lost four. 

Sri Lanka - Played nine, won four, lost three, two no results.

No arguments from me about them not being very good, but if they win their last two and England lose their last game, they'd finish the tournament with a better win percentage than England. Just seems a shitty way to be knocked out.

Probably won't even come to that as, as you say, they aren't very good and will probably lose to India and/or we'll beat New Zealand.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

They wouldn't have needed to.

If, for example, they win today and their last game, and England lose their last game, both teams would end up on 10 points from their nine games.

England - Played nine, won five, lost four. 

Sri Lanka - Played nine, won four, lost three, two no results.

No arguments from me about them not being very good, but if they win their last two and England lose their last game, they'd finish the tournament with a better win percentage than England. Just seems a shitty way to be knocked out.

Probably won't even come to that as, as you say, they aren't very good and will probably lose to India and/or we'll beat New Zealand.

That's the nature of league cricket though. I'm guessing those rained off games could end up fucking over Pakistan/Bangladesh more than S/L. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Unless the ball goes straight to him, having Gayle in the slips is not the best of ideas, he dives like he has built in slow mo. 

49 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

That's the nature of league cricket though. I'm guessing those rained off games could end up fucking over Pakistan/Bangladesh more than S/L. 

Yes, but that's my point. This isn't a league. It's a cup competition. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Jairzinho said:

Yes, but that's my point. This isn't a league. It's a cup competition. 

With a league format to get to the KO stage mate. SL were poor against SA, if they had won that then they'd have been in good shape to make the semi finals. Swings and roundabouts. 

Guest Pistonbroke

England play NZ on this wicket on Wednesday, it could well suit how we play. Weather is supposed to be good as well. 

Guest Pistonbroke
13 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Could well be the first World Cup score of 400+.

If conditions stay the same and the wind dies down it could be. Weird, as normally the Durham wicket is fast bowler friendly and normally swings. 

Just now, Pistonbroke said:

If conditions stay the same and the wind dies down it could be. Weird, as normally the Durham wicket is fast bowler friendly and normally swings. 

As you say wind could be key. 

If it’s going towards the short boundary then all bets are off. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I wouldn't be surprised if we see one of the Windies players hit the longest six in the tournament today. I have to go to fucking training now and sweat me bollocks off, gonna miss the first two hours (30 overs) of this chase. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Just spotted my Nephew in the crowd at Durham, big lad with 'Wade' on the back of a Windies top. He does security at a lot of the large events so probably gets free tickets. Small World. 

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Windies actually making a game of this now. 

That run out was daft though, lack of experience from Allan, he was going great guns n all.