You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bittersweet eventful week

Remmie

The Appendix was so destroyed they couldn't salvage any pieces for pathology. They did have to abandon keyhole surgery when they found my 10cm abscess. I've already typed this somewhere haven't I?

I think that's boss me, if you're going to have an operation at least freak the surgical team out I say. 

• Upvote 1

So I ended up having a 2nd operation it was much more serious than I had prepared for. I was worked on 3 hard hours and the surgeons had to remove a larger than expected new 2nd abscess in a hard to get to part of my lower back and pelvis and really clean and salve the necrotic tissue. Due to my confusion and agitation waking up they decided to keep me under for the night.

I woke up in a critical care ward with an inflated oesophagus plug blocking all air above and was breathing via a ventilator. They held me like this for 2 hours to be confident I could breathe on my own. It was extremely traumatic and unpleasant, making the ng tube seem like nothing, although I also had an extra big one fitted complete with a catheter and 3 draining bags attached to my gut.

Getting the plug removed was the first step in a long road to a recovery and a psychotic surgeon I'd never met randomly decided to start playing with my ng tube trying to push it in further before pulling it completely out all while bickering with another surgeon whether to do it. He then happily removed my catheter moments later probably never to be seen again in the maddest 4 minutes I'll never forget. Luckily it looks like I won't need new ones.

Since then I've been doing my breathing physio and breathing in a lot of oxygen. I feel loads better but I'm not out the woods, I'll be here a week minimum and have another ct scan coming up to look for more abscesses

Meanwhile my poor wife has had to look after my dad, try and work her 3 swimming pool jobs, try and see me and look after our cat simultaneously. The stress is overwhelming and I can't help at all. Dad is coping but is clearly detiorating. It's clear we do not have the resources to look after him and he will move into his own new place over the weekend, begging borrowing and calling in favours. He is disabled, I am bed bound in hospital, my wife is pregnant so completely need other people to move him. I will try to take several 5 minutes off the respirator and call people explain my current condition, my wife's pregnancy and my dad's house burnt down and needs to move but has nothing. It's a mad thing to explain all of this at once in about 5 minutes!

Meanwhile my poor wife has had to look after my dad, try and work her 3 swimming pool jobs, try and see me and look after our cat simultaneously. The stress is overwhelming and I can't help at all. Dad is coping but is clearly detiorating. It's clear we do not have the resources to look after him and he will move into his own new place over the weekend, begging borrowing and calling in favours. He is disabled, I am bed bound in hospital, my wife is pregnant so completely need other people to move him. I will try to take several 5 minutes off the respirator and call people explain my current condition, my wife's pregnancy and my dad's house burnt down and needs to move but has nothing. It's a mad thing to explain all of this at once in about 5 minutes!

It sounds horrific, Remmie, but you're seriously not well and need to concentrate on getting better, the rest can wait or can be delegated, to social services if necessary.

Does your dad really need to move this weekend or is there additional support you can get for him at home, family and friends or home care or does he need emergency respite care?

Whatever the situation is you should not be the one trying to manage it at this time. Your turn can come later when you're a bit better

• Upvote 1

Thanks Champ, but for my wife it has to be this weekend. If things go to plan I will be home next weekend and she can't cope with us both too look after. We have a lot of help now but there is a long road ahead

Cath is right Zeb you can't beat yourself up about this pal you didn't ask to be sick, it's just one of those things, if you rush yourself or put pressure on yourself you'll delay your recovery. Listen to the docs mate and try and trust that things will unfold as they should.

Having a family situation similar to yours I know what it's like to have a feeling of responsibility to others, but sometime I can underestimate people's ability to take care of their own situations when they absolutely have to, your Mrs is a sharp lady and your dad will come through it, just try and relax mate, go easy on yourself, it's your turn to rely on people for a change, there's no shame in that - it's just life.

• Upvote 2

It sounds horrific, Remmie, but you're seriously not well and need to concentrate on getting better, the rest can wait or can be delegated, to social services if necessary.

Does your dad really need to move this weekend or is there additional support you can get for him at home, family and friends or home care or does he need emergency respite care?

Whatever the situation is you should not be the one trying to manage it at this time. Your turn can come later when you're a bit better

What's emergency respite care and do you have any info on how to apply for it?

What's emergency respite care and do you have any info on how to apply for it?

(Emergency) respite is short term residential care for people who can't manage on their own at home, e.g. if their usual carers aren't available, need a break, go on holiday, go into hospital themselves.

It would normally be arranged with social services but I'm sure if you spoke to your nursing staff they could tell you what's on offer in your area.

A word of caution, here certainly it is a scarce resource so all other options would normally be exhausted first, not always a bad thing if it allows people to remain in familiar surroundings. As you have described yourself people with memory issues (cognitive impairment) often struggle when their normal routines are disrupted so professionals will try to provide the least disruptive option for good reason and not just money

Once again Champ you have been a superstar. Thank you so much will look into it.

In other news my recovery is going really well. Getting weened off the oxygen and have 1 drain bag left to remove. Feel pretty mobile and was able to take a proper shower. Just need to build my appetite back up and see how much antibiotics I can take manually but really can see the light at the end of the tunnel coming and go home in a couple days.

• Upvote 2