You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Our fans need educating. They need to stop thinking that this is the Gillett / Hicks, Hodgson era - instead we have a bright new future with FSG, Comolli and Dalglish.

People aren't happy with Henderson and now assume we aren't going to improve and everything is back to the usual as it was under Hicks / Gillett. But I think it is positive that we have spent so much on a player that Dalglish clearly wants.

FSG are willing to back him and despite many of our fans acting like petulant twats wanting signings NOW NOW NOW. Henry, Dalglish and Comolli are justing keeping everything behind closed doors and doing business the right way. The International window hasn't even opened yet, but fans want Mata or Hazard. There is 2 months left or at least 6 weeks till the new season.

Everyone just needs to relax and judge the business at the end of the window and not now. But I personally like the look of Henderson, he is young, athletic, can play a couple of positions, has good experience in the league for a young player and has shown he can spot a pass and score a goal. Some of his crosses for goals last season would make Carroll and Suarez's mouth water.

But it seems the modern fans will judge him now and assume he is shit because he isn't a big name. Our club are doing things the right way, the 'Liverpool Way' - quietly, under promising and will tell us news when they have something to tell us. Just a shame some of our fans can't do things in the 'Liverpool Way' by judging players and new signings for what they do on the pitch for us and trusting our manager to get it right - rather than moaning at any opportunity just because they haven't signed the name they dream of yet.

The microwave fan wants everything now. Success, new players etc. But it isn't so simple and as long as we get it right before the season starts then we should all be happy.

I hope you're right but I'm beginning to wonder if we've already spent this summers budget on Henderson and now have to sell to buy...

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Not overpaying for Clichy and Wickham might well stand us in good stead for future, possibly bigger, transfers. I wanted Wickham, I think he would have been good with us, but if the manager thinks we're able to get a better player for that money, he's right to turn it down.

The same might be true of Downing, if Villa play silly buggers. It was true of Adam in the winter, and it seems to be true now. Putting 'an extra few million' in is the right thing to do when it's a special player, but it can be the wrong thing to do, too.

Man City surely have to shift some of their players now. How can they pay all these players and still run a profit? Just doesn't make sense.

I'd think I'd still take Bellamy given how good he was for them in 09/10 but his age renders that unlikely

Guest Numero Veinticinco
THAT is something we just cannot compete with.

I'd think I'd still take Bellamy given how good he was for them in 09/10 but his age renders that unlikely

And him not being very good is also a problem.

And him not being very good is also a problem.

he was by far the best player in the league 2 seasons ago imo but because he isn't South American and didnt cost 30million he didnt get the credit he deserved

wasn't at his best when previously with us although did have some quality games around November and December once his court case was settled and then fell out of favour shortly after the Barca game I seem to recall

Guest Numero Veinticinco
he was by far the best player in the league 2 seasons ago imo but because he isn't South American and didnt cost 30million he didnt get the credit he deserved

wasn't at his best when previously with us although did have some quality games around November and December once his court case was settled and then fell out of favour shortly after the Barca game I seem to recall

Sorry, what? Bellamy was the best player in the league in 2008/09 when he scored 8 goals? Or do you mean 2009/10 when he scored 10 and earned himself some time in the Championship with Cardiff? Maybe you mean the season before - 2007/08 - when he got 2 goals.

Best. Player. Ever.

Sorry, what? Bellamy was the best player in the league in 2008/09 when he scored 8 goals? Or do you mean 2009/10 when he scored 10 and earned himself some time in the Championship with Cardiff? Maybe you mean the season before - 2007/08 - when he got 2 goals.

Best. Player. Ever.

09.10, ten goals and 8 assists from the wing in 32 league games and not really disgracing himself is it, and shipped out to Cardiff as City refused to sell him to us or Spurs and credit to him for playing rather than sit on his arse and see out his contract at City

not best player ever but considerably better than what we have now

Guest Numero Veinticinco
09.10, ten goals and 8 assists from the wing in 32 league games and not really disgracing himself is it, and shipped out to Cardiff as City refused to sell him to us or Spurs and credit to him for playing rather than sit on his arse and see out his contract at City

not best player ever but considerably better than what we have now

Best player in the league. Come on now.

Best player in the league. Come on now.

was City's best player in most of their games I watched that season, okay maybe Rooney was better than him that season and Fabregas also in contention but from the times I saw City he was better than Tevez who got all the credit, definately in the top players that season but it seems you have to be one of England's star players or a big money foreigner to get any accolades these days

I'm sure I read some were that City's wage bill is 120% of their overall turnover. Astonishing if true. I did a piece of on the new FFP regulations for my dissertation this year and what's clear is that if they are strictly enforced then both City and Chelsea won't have a hope in hell of qualifying for a licence to play in European competition. I suppose it leaves one big question though over how stringently the rules will be applied.

I'm going to believe we have two transfer lists.

One for "players for now" that we can spend on straight away - or at least when the transfer window opens tomorrow.

Another for "players for the future" (Wickham) or bargain at the right price (Clichy), where we have to lighten the wage bill before we could get them.

Makes as much sense as any other theory on here.

* Still holding onto hopes of a marquee signing *

Our fans need educating. They need to stop thinking that this is the Gillett / Hicks, Hodgson era - instead we have a bright new future with FSG, Comolli and Dalglish.

People aren't happy with Henderson and now assume we aren't going to improve and everything is back to the usual as it was under Hicks / Gillett. But I think it is positive that we have spent so much on a player that Dalglish clearly wants.

FSG are willing to back him and despite many of our fans acting like petulant twats wanting signings NOW NOW NOW. Henry, Dalglish and Comolli are justing keeping everything behind closed doors and doing business the right way. The International window hasn't even opened yet, but fans want Mata or Hazard. There is 2 months left or at least 6 weeks till the new season.

Everyone just needs to relax and judge the business at the end of the window and not now. But I personally like the look of Henderson, he is young, athletic, can play a couple of positions, has good experience in the league for a young player and has shown he can spot a pass and score a goal. Some of his crosses for goals last season would make Carroll and Suarez's mouth water.

But it seems the modern fans will judge him now and assume he is shit because he isn't a big name. Our club are doing things the right way, the 'Liverpool Way' - quietly, under promising and will tell us news when they have something to tell us. Just a shame some of our fans can't do things in the 'Liverpool Way' by judging players and new signings for what they do on the pitch for us and trusting our manager to get it right - rather than moaning at any opportunity just because they haven't signed the name they dream of yet.

The microwave fan wants everything now. Success, new players etc. But it isn't so simple and as long as we get it right before the season starts then we should all be happy.

This is the best post i have read in relation to this thread. i agree with every word

TB said right at the start before we'd signed anyone that we might sign one or two players, but after that we'd have to shift some wages off the payroll before we made any more signings.

Seems fair enough to me, our wage bill is incredibly bloated with high earners we don't want at the moment. You can't just keep loading more players onto it without shifting the deadwood.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
TB said right at the start before we'd signed anyone that we might sign one or two players, but after that we'd have to shift some wages off the payroll before we made any more signings.

Seems fair enough to me, our wage bill is incredibly bloated with high earners we don't want at the moment. You can't just keep loading more players onto it without shifting the deadwood.

Seems fair to me, too. When you're paying 30m a year to players who are hardly getting a game - or none at all - then shit has to change. Like it or lump it. If they're not playing, what we're doing is spending a Mata or whomever, ever season. Harsh.

Edited by Numero Veinticinco