You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

IMPORTANT: feedback requested

Guest Haje Jan Kamps

Guest Haje Jan Kamps

We have an option to upgrade the forum. This has several advantages:

1) makes it easier to ban wankers from the forum

2) makes the forum better susceptible to expansion.

Point two means that if the forum keeps growing the way it does now (it currently has 300 users, and this number is slowly but surely growing. You have all seen the page counter at the top of the page...), it will remain stable. When (if?) we hit 500 users and a significant number of posts, the forum will be slow as winter syrup.

It has some disadvantages as well:

1) it will cause at least 2 hours, probably more like 12 - 24 hours of forum disruption

2) some users may experience their accounts being fucked up. This I will fix.

3) We might lose some or all of the posts so far.

If number 3 happens, I can always restore the way the forum is now from backup, install the old forum, and continue the way we go now.

We have another option as well, which is to change to an entirely different forum type, based on phpBB. It looks nicer, but it is heavier on the server.

The reason why I based the forum on phorum in the first place, is that it is no-bullshit, and it simple yet fast, and pleasing on the eyes.

So.. What do we want? Is it worth the disruption and chance of fucking things up, or should we just leave things the way they are. How bad will we miss the posts, if everything does go to hell, and we have to start with 0 posts, both on the FF and the GF?

Please reply either in this thread or email me (hajejan@kamps.org) with suggestions and comments.

Cheers,

Haje (yes, the same Haje as is mentioned at the bottom of every forum page...)

Guest Haje Jan Kamps

"does Sat Shopper get the chop as well"

Look, I am running the forum, but because I never read the football forum (to put it this way, I only recently found out that there actually was a player on the field who was allowed to touch the ball with his hands, and that was only after Chris told me to shut the fuck up as I was yelling HANDS, HANDS! when a keeper saved the ball), I think I shall leave that part to Dave.

If there are problems with certain individuals, email or talk to Dave, and he can email me, so I can nuke the sorry ass bastards into orbit.

HJ

"I only recently found out that there actually was a player on the field who was allowed to touch the ball with his hands"

is Haje Jan Kamps when translated into english ,

Tom Ross ? :>)

IMO whatever you have to do to stop midless arseholes printing obscene material on here you do it mate ! As Gav said it would be a pity to loose some of the older posts as some of them are good (just NONE of his ) but if it was a consequence of making the forum better then so be it .

Again this is only my opinion and posters like John B and DT who post a LOT more than me probably have different opinions which as more regular users should be respected as such .

Finally just is case I never mentioned it before ,

you;ve doen a excellent job on this thus far .............

well done mate !

Guest Haje Jan Kamps

"If there was a mass deletion of older posts for say 4-6 months would that not free up all the space ??? and save you alot of hassle"

Space is not a problem. I think the database is about 3 megabytes so far, meaning that we have space for another 60-70 megabytes (this is the beauty of not allowing images and other bullshit to be uploaded to the forum, and text hardly takes any space).

"I think the format of this forum is the best around-quick and easy to use"

Happy to hear that. The new forum would actually not look any different to end users, but it will allow us to "pin" posts (i.e make sure they always are at the top of the forum lists.. Great for "current" discussions) and it will make it possible to close threads (i.e stop discussions that are valuable but going nowhere and getting out of hand). Also, it will make banning users easier (it is already possible, but I have to manually program in every banned user)

HJ