You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Changing fortunes?

Paul

It was nice to see some luck going our way again yesterday. It was yet another cobbled together eleven, but from the 50 min highlights I saw, we ground out the three points and did everything we could to deal with their dodgy tactics.

Steve Finnan - coolest head on the pitch. He headed it off the line three times and generally showed that we've got a quality player. Gary Neville wants to consider himself lucky that Finnan opted to play for Ireland, or else he would be staring a World Cup bench-warming slot in the face.

Of the debutants, Carson looked OK apart from the ariel bombardment (whilst being fouled) that he had to contend with in the first 15 mins. His kicking is fucking unbelievable, though. Cisse will surely get at least a couple of goals from running onto Carson kicks next season. He hits the edge of the opposition penalty area every time, and his throws go miles too.

John Welsh looked a little bit lost to me, and it didn't help that Gerrard was playing so high up the pitch; we really needed him in the middle - as our improvements after he dropped back showed.

Djimi Traore looked like he'd never been away. His pace and recovering tackles were in evidence again, as was his ability to get forward. His pass to Igor for the goal was inch-perfect too (don't anyone try to tell me it was a fluke - he looked up and picked Igor out). He links up brilliantly with Riise and I'd be surprised if they aren't our left flank for next season.

Finally, Garcia looked absolute class. The reverse ball to Le Tallec, straight after his spin-around trick, was phenomenal. As my mate said, if Ronaldinho had done that, the media would be eulogising his genius to the heavens. I don't think Luis' skills have had a single mention in any report I've read today.

Overall, it was a well ground-out victory against an obdurate opponent. Those three points really put the pressure on the Blue shite today and give us a bit of breathing space from the chasing pack. Let's hope we can take these "against-the-odds" results through to the end of the season, as there's still loads to play for. Come on you Reds!!!

Paul did the highlights show Pellegrino's handball just after our goal? I know MOTD didn't show it and was surprised that Allardyce wasn't moaning on about it. It looked a blatant pen from where I was sitting but it's about time we got some luck with decisions.

Carra and Finnan were ace and Djimi was solid. Pelle's distribution was minging and Garcia had one of those mixed games where he wasgiving away simple 5 yard passes and then producing some ridiculous bit of skill.

Paul did the highlights show Pellegrino's handball just after our goal? I know MOTD didn't show it and was surprised that Allardyce wasn't moaning on about it. It looked a blatant pen from where I was sitting but it's about time we got some luck with decisions.

Carra and Finnan were ace and Djimi was solid. Pelle's distribution was minging and Garcia had one of those mixed games where he wasgiving away simple 5 yard passes and then producing some ridiculous bit of skill.

It wasn't a handball ...hit him on the side,just above the hip.

Two good results against the type of alehouse teams that have been kicking us off the park in recent months. Hopefully Rafa is getting the message across that at times we've got to mix it up and win ugly.

Had to laugh when the Sky commentator bemoaned the lack of support for Bolton at home - can you blame them not wanting to watch kick n rush all season.

Two good results against the type of alehouse teams that have been kicking us off the park in recent months. Hopefully Rafa is getting the message across that at times we've got to mix it up and win ugly.

Yes; another small sign that things are progressing nicely for next season.

Guest Brian Stewart

Thought we were dire in the first half - at times it looked as though the players hadn't even been training together. A lot better in the second half - think the problem was that it was a fairly makeshift team without a recognised fully-fit striker. The most important thing is that we won despite playing badly - add to today's result for Everton, and I now think we may get that 4th place after all, particularly as we will (hopefully) never be so short of fit players to choose as yesterday.

One last thing - I like Pellegrino, and he has been playing well: not yesterday though. Hope it was just a one-off - and that Sami's fully fit.

Guest Brian Stewart

Pellegrino's cup-tied, I think, and Sami was on the bench yesterday, and was warming up at one stage. The story I heard (can't remember where) was that he had a slight knock, so maybe Rafa was resting him for Tuesday.

Steve Finnan - coolest head on the pitch. He headed it off the line three times and generally showed that we've got a quality player. Gary Neville wants to consider himself lucky that Finnan opted to play for Ireland, or else he would be staring a World Cup bench-warming slot in the face.

Steve Finnan is from Limerick, born 10 minutes away from me. I'm not sure why you think he's english

Steve Finnan is from Limerick, born 10 minutes away from me. I'm not sure why you think he's english

He had the opportunity to represent both nations. He moved to England when he was about six, he has a full on cockney accent. I am English but it's good to see that he remained true to his roots.

Because he's got a full-on Cockney accent. However, I stand corrected; thank you.