You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Robertson: It was a nice goal to be a part of

TLW

Andy Robertson was delighted to open his European goalscoring account on Wednesday evening as the Reds survived an almighty scare from a bullish Red Bull Salzburg to claim their first three points in the Champions League this season.

Liverpool raced out to a 3-0 lead in the first 35 minutes, and it would have been be a common view that the goals would continue to flow in the second 45 minutes

That they did, but not in the way that anyone was expecting as the visitors produced a stunning fightback to level scores at 3-3 on the hour mark and seemingly have all the momentum.

It was now a test of Liverpool’s mettle and to their credit they were able to gather themselves with Mo Salah grabbing his second of the match.

The European Champions were able to see out the rest of the match without too much alarm and in the process narrowing the gap with Napoli to just one point as the Italians could only draw 0-0 with Genk.

Robertson was part of a beautiful flowing move midway through the first half which saw the Scottish captain combine with his fellow full-back Trent-Alexander Arnold to tap home from close range.

Robertson has only scored one goal in all competitions at his time with the Reds, which came in the last game of the 2017/8 season at home against Brighton.

He has come close to doubling his tally on a few occasions but the ball just hasn’t fallen his way.

On Wednesday evening, it came to fruition and understandably he was pretty pleased about it.

image.png

The Official site (via Liverpool.com) reported Robbo as saying::

“It was a nice one to be fair! I quite enjoyed it!

“Running front stick, being the furthest man up the pitch, that’s not usually me but I think I started it and cut into Hendo and then look, I know what Trent’s delivery’s like and I knew that nine out of 10 are pinpoint accurate.

“ I knew if I could get in front of the defender then I had a chance and it was just about making a clean connection. 

“ Luckily I did it and it’s the first goal of the season, obviously the first one in the Champions League. 

“I hope to add more this season and hopefully it’s the first of a couple I get.

There is naturally a range of emotions running through a player’s mind when being part of a game such as this one.

Robertson saw both sides of the coin but at the end of the day was happy the team picked up the three points.

You’ve got three points in the Champions League and that’s not easy to do against whoever you’re playing. 

Salzburg are a good team but we have to be disappointed with probably the last 60 minutes of how we played. 

“We allowed them back into it and we don’t usually do that, especially at home.

"We’re very good at killing off teams and when we’re 3-0 up we then control the game, which we never done. 

We got a bit complacent, we started giving passes away where we shouldn’t have, started getting a bit sloppy. 

“We need to look at that because that can’t happen, but like I said, we can’t be too negative on ourselves - we got the three points and now this campaign’s up and running for the Champions League.” 

Robertson said the common consensus heading into this years competition was that Liverpool had a pretty good group.

But the two games have shown that it is going to be anything but plain sailing.

“Salzburg are a top team, they went far in the Europa League last season and now they’ve taken the step into the Champions League and they’re a very good team. 

“Genk got a fantastic draw at home to Napoli and this isn’t going to be an easy group, there’s not really any in the Champions League so we need to be at our best to get through this group and if we are then I believe we will.”

View full article

• Upvote 1