You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FAO stevebaby

Champ

Next steps for you Champ.

1. Research some flag printers for prices. 

2. Call Printers and see if you can barter them down on price. 

3. Get size dimensions and what format they want the "artwork" in (usually, they'll say a vector format of some kind or a PDF)

4. Let me know and I'll tweak the files and upload them to a dropbox for you. 

5. Have a little talk whether you want some t-shirts doing and then repeat the above.

Clearly, you know how things work round here, Buoy!

Well, if no bugger's going to help out here, hell mend yer, there better be no complaining when I make an arse of myself and Steve's banner...

Call up a local printing company and ask how much their biggest banner is. 

Ask what size that'll be. 

And what format they'd like the artwork to be in (usually it'll be PDF or EPS). 

Let me know and I'll email you the tweaked size. 

Send it to them and pay for it. 

Simple.

• Upvote 1

Call up a local printing company and ask how much their biggest banner is. 

Ask what size that'll be. 

And what format they'd like the artwork to be in (usually be PDF or EPS). 

Let me know and I'll email you the tweaked size. 

Send it to them and pay for it. 

Simple.

My biggest anxiety was having that kind of conversation over the phone with people whose everyday language is dimensions and formats...and then I remembered my Dad talking about calling at a local sign makers, so I put on my best 'be kind to me' face and went in myself this morning.

They will do us a banner no problem and for the money we've got can produce something along the lines of 5m x 2m in hard wearing material with eyelets all round so it can be hung if required. He's going to send me a written price.

Their next question was how is it to be displayed and I didnt have a ready answer. 

Do people see it being hung from balconies or held aloft or both  and if that is the case, how manageable is that in portrait format?

They're happy to work in either printing  format, Buoy. The bloke suggested that as soon as we're satisfied with what we want, if you could email him the finished design he can arrange to get it made up. In about a week.

They were so 'can do' and on the doorstep I dont feel inclined to go looking too hard for alternative quotes.

What do you say people?

• Upvote 5

I did better than that Elizabeth. The deal was, enter through Swimathon.org and then pay 12 quid entrance fee and THEN go cap in hand to friends and family etc, all, or kost of whom have lost someone to Cancer and ask them for sponsorship.

Unsurprisingly, the net didn't trawl many takers. In fact when I said I'd do it, there were a whole 4 entrants, for a 3 day event, for charity, in your own time...having to pay for the privilege.

So I thought fuck this, and got the Tory state involved, drummed up some interest from local businesses on the proviso that they got lots of advertising and name associated Charity exposure and after that the entrance fees were paid and sponsorship from the private sector was more forthcoming with the promise of good will advertising.

A few people were wearing Cunt and Cuntier Solicitors trunks and hats, some others wearing Bastard and Twat Insurance tshirts for photo opportunities etc. So instead of people having to beg, borrow and steal off close relatives, the local pool (with some assistance) go abit more savvy and then 3 days worth of time slots were mostly filled.

Otherwise, the idea of paying to train, train, paying to enter, paying money for your own sponsorship and asking everyone you knew would've been a slight no-goer.

As it happened, alot of well meaning people who put lots of time and effort into it, felt a real sense of satisfaction and a tremendous cause will hopefully benefit to the tune of a good few quid.

Well in lid. See you for a bevvy when I'm back with any luck.

• Upvote 1

My biggest anxiety was having that kind of conversation over the phone with people whose everyday language is dimensions and formats...and then I remembered my Dad talking about calling at a local sign makers, so I put on my best 'be kind to me' face and went in myself this morning.

They will do us a banner no problem and for the money we've got can produce something along the lines of 5m x 2m in hard wearing material with eyelets all round so it can be hung if required. He's going to send me a written price.

Their next question was how is it to be displayed and I didnt have a ready answer. 

Do people see it being hung from balconies or held aloft or both  and if that is the case, how manageable is that in portrait format?

They're happy to work in either printing  format, Buoy. The bloke suggested that as soon as we're satisfied with what we want, if you could email him the finished design he can arrange to get it made up. In about a week.

They were so 'can do' and on the doorstep I dont feel inclined to go looking too hard for alternative quotes.

What do you say people?

Sound. 

Let me know when the email/written piece comes through and I'll CC you in an email when it's all sent over. 

Easy this printing malarky, eh?

Sound. 

Let me know when the email/written piece comes through and I'll CC you in an email when it's all sent over. 

Easy this printing malarky, eh?

Steady, we're not there yet!

Will do

I did better than that Elizabeth. The deal was, enter through Swimathon.org and then pay 12 quid entrance fee and THEN go cap in hand to friends and family etc, all, or kost of whom have lost someone to Cancer and ask them for sponsorship.

Unsurprisingly, the net didn't trawl many takers. In fact when I said I'd do it, there were a whole 4 entrants, for a 3 day event, for charity, in your own time...having to pay for the privilege.

So I thought fuck this, and got the Tory state involved, drummed up some interest from local businesses on the proviso that they got lots of advertising and name associated Charity exposure and after that the entrance fees were paid and sponsorship from the private sector was more forthcoming with the promise of good will advertising.

A few people were wearing Cunt and Cuntier Solicitors trunks and hats, some others wearing Bastard and Twat Insurance tshirts for photo opportunities etc. So instead of people having to beg, borrow and steal off close relatives, the local pool (with some assistance) go abit more savvy and then 3 days worth of time slots were mostly filled.

Otherwise, the idea of paying to train, train, paying to enter, paying money for your own sponsorship and asking everyone you knew would've been a slight no-goer.

As it happened, alot of well meaning people who put lots of time and effort into it, felt a real sense of satisfaction and a tremendous cause will hopefully benefit to the tune of a good few quid.

Pretty classy that mate.  Didn't see a post on here telling us you were doing it though, or even a pm you cunt, I'd have chucked a tenner at you for that.

Bless you having to train for a 3k swim though.  I haven't even been to the pool for over 2 years and I'm carrying well over a stone of extra timber these days as well as smoking Marlboro reds like they're going to be banned and I could get up from my desk right now and do 3k.  Well OK not quite because we don't have a pool in the office and I'm fucked if I'm swimming in the Irwell just outside but you know what I mean.  Since I assume you're not a huge swimmer in view of that, I'm very impressed, it's some serious distance for someone who isn't used to it.

Pretty classy that mate.  Didn't see a post on here telling us you were doing it though, or even a pm you cunt, I'd have chucked a tenner at you for that.

Bless you having to train for a 3k swim though.  I haven't even been to the pool for over 2 years and I'm carrying well over a stone of extra timber these days as well as smoking Marlboro reds like they're going to be banned and I could get up from my desk right now and do 3k.  Well OK not quite because we don't have a pool in the office and I'm fucked if I'm swimming in the Irwell just outside but you know what I mean.  Since I assume you're not a huge swimmer in view of that, I'm very impressed, it's some serious distance for someone who isn't used to it.

It's bloody hard work. A few years ago when I screwed my knee up I had to swim for exercise - I was going 3 times a week, not drinking for part of that time and eating right and I just about managed a mile, once. Nearly fucking killed me.  

Cheers Comrade. I didn't do a post as I didn't want to be a 'look what I'm doing' thing, not that I have any problem with it at all, but because I'd got some sponsorship boxed off and to be honest, I hate having to go cap in hand to friends and family for money. Most of the people I know have lost a loved one or more to Cancer over the ast few years, so I did it because I wanted to and because it was a cause that was way, way too close to home.

I'm not a swimmer as you rightly assumed! It was a real fucker training for the first few weeks, when you sign up for it 120 lenghts of the pool, is just a number. When you have to do it, it's a bastard! I had to pretend I was warming down at the end as I didn't want the ignominy of being hauled out of the pool and placed on a life support machine.

Don't worry mind, I'm back on the Old Speckled Hen and ciggies now.

Stupidly, I've signed up for one of these Chariddy 'Iron Man' things.....well, one for shit cunts, more of a Sodium/Zinc man if you like, where I've got to swim 5km, walk 5km and bike 5km....all on the same fucking day. Not when you feel like it, or "I've done the swim so I'm off home for a kip now" but on THE SAME FUCKING DAY!

I signed for this when sober too.

• Upvote 4

As per an earlier post of yours, how does that fit with being draped over the balcony of a stadium?

I think it sounds like good value

Doesn't it?

He laid 5m x 2m out on the floor and I think it will satisfy the request for 'fucking massive'

We all talked about a banner but we need to agree how it'll be displayed to conclude whether that will be best achieved through portrait or landscape. I know I advocated landscape and I'm not trying to change people's minds to get things done my way but are people happy that they will be able to hold a tall banner?

Landscape sounds better to me for various reasons.

5M x 2M in canvas-type material will be really heavy and will  require quite a few people seated together if it is to be held up on the Kop, for instance.

Landscape would allow it to be draped over a hoarding/balcony at grounds where that is allowed (should work on tour for example but not really at Anfield)   

Cheers Comrade. I didn't do a post as I didn't want to be a 'look what I'm doing' thing, not that I have any problem with it at all, but because I'd got some sponsorship boxed off and to be honest, I hate having to go cap in hand to friends and family for money. Most of the people I know have lost a loved one or more to Cancer over the ast few years, so I did it because I wanted to and because it was a cause that was way, way too close to home.

I'm not a swimmer as you rightly assumed! It was a real fucker training for the first few weeks, when you sign up for it 120 lenghts of the pool, is just a number. When you have to do it, it's a bastard! I had to pretend I was warming down at the end as I didn't want the ignominy of being hauled out of the pool and placed on a life support machine.

Don't worry mind, I'm back on the Old Speckled Hen and ciggies now.

Stupidly, I've signed up for one of these Chariddy 'Iron Man' things.....well, one for shit cunts, more of a Sodium/Zinc man if you like, where I've got to swim 5km, walk 5km and bike 5km....all on the same fucking day. Not when you feel like it, or "I've done the swim so I'm off home for a kip now" but on THE SAME FUCKING DAY!

I signed for this when sober too.

Funny how different forms of exercise destroy us.  5k on a bike is a warm up, I used to do more than that riding to Manchester and the same riding home when I was 12.  Swimming, well the longest I've ever done in a session is 5 miles (250 lengths of a 33.3m pool) and I wasn't ready to drop dead or anything at the end of it, although I'm not kidding myself I'd be doing it these days unless I fell off a ferry or something.

Running though.  I honestly can't run half a mile, not even at a gentle jog.  I've never been able to, no idea why but it just destroys me in ways that other exercise doesn't.

Oh and they should definitely call that a 'Tin Man' that would be piss funny.

Ok, I've got a quote back already, £258 for a 5m x 2m banner?

What do you say? And not just rep. I want replies!

Sounds good to me but I have no idea why because I have no basis for comparison of any kind.  He could be mugging you off or be the most generous sign/banner maker in the northern hemisphere.  Hope this helps.

(I know this doesn't help.)

• Upvote 1

Funny how different forms of exercise destroy us.  5k on a bike is a warm up, I used to do more than that riding to Manchester and the same riding home when I was 12.  Swimming, well the longest I've ever done in a session is 5 miles (250 lengths of a 33.3m pool) and I wasn't ready to drop dead or anything at the end of it, although I'm not kidding myself I'd be doing it these days unless I fell off a ferry or something.

Running though.  I honestly can't run half a mile, not even at a gentle jog.  I've never been able to, no idea why but it just destroys me in ways that other exercise doesn't.

Sounds good to me but I have no idea why because I have no basis for comparison of any kind.  He could be mugging you off or be the most generous sign/banner maker in the northern hemisphere.  Hope this helps.

I know mate, Im Ok with it. To be fair, I have massive inspiration. At my local pool there is a Woman called Hilary who is 71 and she competes in Triathlons all over the show. She has won medals galore, not only in her age group, but wider and on a World stage. She is ace, a total inspiration. When I first started swimming she encouraged me on, helped me out with tips etc and I was ashamed. A Woman of 71 who about a million times fitter than me. More than that, I got talking to a fella called Mark who had lost a limb in the Falklands, seems he knew a few lads that I do and more than that, his Dad was a mate of my Uncle and a few fellas who lost more than limbs.

I'm not short of things to spur me on.

The 5km on the bike is fine, I do that everyday, the 5km walk is also fine, I've got a cunt of a Dog who never gives me any peace, it's the 5km swimming on top of all that which is scaring me. THAT is going to take some proper sacrificing of ale and takeaways.

I'm still shuddering at the tought of it. That one legged cunt Mark signed me up for it. My lower legs, as you know aren't ace either.

• Upvote 1

Its not so much the price I'm thinking of, more people's thoughts about how they imagine the banner being displayed and to agree on the size and orientation

Its not so much the price I'm thinking of, more people's thoughts about how they imagine the banner being displayed and to agree on the size and orientation

Size sounds fine, it's bigger than a bedsheet which already puts it into the elite of banners by my standards.

Orientation - if it's 5m on one side, portrait seems a bit brave since that will be over 15 feet tall which actually limits drastically where it could be displayed, in fact hanging it off a balcony or draping it over a collection of willing fans is pretty much all you could do with it.  With a 15 foot depth, even hanging it off a balcony may be controversial compared to a depth of about 6 foot if it's done landscape.  Landscape probably gives more flexibility in how it's used.

It might need tweaking slightly but there'll be a lot of space around it. 

Dimensions didn't seem to be a problem for him. The 5 x 2 was pretty abitrary to give the idea and get a rough costing