Quantcast
Shaqiri: I am looking forward to the new season with Liverpool - Latest News - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

TLW
TLW

Shaqiri: I am looking forward to the new season with Liverpool

Xherdan Shaqiri has described  his personal frustration that he was not able to contribute more during Liverpool’s march to the Premier League title.

The popular member of the squad with teammates and fans alike, the Swiss international was somewhat of a forgotten man making just 11 appearances in all competitions throughout the last campaign due to a number of niggling injuries which led to him slipping down the playing ranks when he returned to full fitness.

Often linked to with a move away to clubs in the continent, the 28 year-old gave a strong indication to the Official site at the team camp in Austria that he is is willing to stay at the Reds and fight for his place.

"Always if you are injured or if you are not playing, you're frustrated.

“But I'm looking forward to this season and trying to help the team all the time, so I have the chance to play like the first season.

shaqiri5_600.jpg

The versatile attacking option also signaled the intention of the team to keep up the hunger and strive for more honours.

“Everybody is excited to play again and to defend the season we had last season.

“It's very difficult but we try to achieve again a lot of things and we want to win a lot of games.

"We have the capacity, we have the team who is still hungry and wants to win many titles.”

Shaqiri who has experienced title success in the Bundesliga with Bayern Munich and in Switzerland admitted that this league success with the Reds felt different.

"Of course it's different in the Premier League than others, and I had the pleasure and I'm very proud of what I achieved in Germany with these two [titles] and I know many countries now.

"But with Liverpool, to win the title last season was unbelievable, something different after 30 years for the fans and for us too.

"We are really excited and we always want to win every game but we know it's going to also be difficult. The other teams also want to win, so I think it's going to be an exciting season."

"I'm trying to give my best too and to help the team to win games, titles – that's the most important thing for me."

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Good to see he is talking positive and not angling for a move. Still think if a decent offer comes in for him, he'd want to move and get regular game time.

Not so sure, this is his last chance at a big club.  He'll think he just needs a clear run free of injuries.

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

I never thought he would pull up any trees for us tbh.  Big fish in a small pond at Stoke and we have had a few of them over the years. Adams , Lallana etc

But if there's anyone you would put money on to get something out of a player like that it's Klopp.  Hope he stays fit because we need people in the forward positions.

2 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

You get the impression Klopp has moved on from Shaqiri

Link to comment

He's the 4th best forward at the club, and we're skint apparently, so hopefully Klopp gives him a go if, for example, Salah got injured.

Origi has to play centrally if he plays, and AOC can't play as a forward.

15 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Origi has to play centrally if he plays, and AOC can't play as a forward.

I think if we sign Thiago, Shaqiri has more of a chance of featuring. Klopp has been reticent to use him, presumably because he doesn't defend much, but adding another deeper midfielder like Thiago would make the shape more suited to Shaqiri. More 4-2-3-1.

40 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Origi has to play centrally if he plays, and AOC can't play as a forward.

For two years now klopp has kept playing Origi and oxocube ahead of him.

Can't see that changing and I can't see them not still stinking the gaff out either.

4 minutes ago, Grinch said:

For two years now klopp has kept playing Origi and oxocube ahead of him.

I agree that's the most likely, but let's say Salah is injured for two months (for fuck sake let's hope he isn't).

Move Mane out of his best position over to the right, and play Origi on the left? Or we play AOC on the right? Both terrible options.

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yup, id rather he changed it up completely if we're stuck with the current options.   Play Origi central.

Unless Elliot becomes a proper option much quicker than expected.   That's one downside of five subs disappearing.

2 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Shame he didn't get a few games once we'd won the league (and the first team had already checked out anyway).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I read somewhere he has missed a couple of sessions. Could be linked to that.

It's always one thing or another with the lad. I realise he's never going to be a regular starter for is, but I feel the talent he has he should be capable of being the go to man off the bench. But he's just never quite managed to sustain those flashes with us..I assume.mostly because of injury, although klopp me we seems sold on him either.

29 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Is he the covid victim?

Isn't that meant to be divock? I did also consider it might be Trent..

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I like Shaqiri. He's not perfect for us but he's a good player and IMO, he's not let us down when we've needed him.

I like him, but he doesn't stay fit or when he does make klopp want to play him.

2 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

True but, my preference currently would be, to see Shaq coming off the bench over Origi, Miramino or Ox.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Already have an account? Sign in here.

×