You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Glandular Fever

etho

I'm about 4-5 weeks in now - started off feeling tired, developed a fever which turned into a sore throat, which turned into a sheer agonising unable to swallow pain which landed me in hospital for 3 days. Had to cancel a holiday to Ibiza, gutted.

I was off work for 3 weeks in total, the throat is fine now but for most of that time I was jaundiced, lost weight etc.

Worst thing of all is the fatigue and malaise. I'm 2 months into a new job and having moved to London, and while I attend work I barely have the energy to get there, let alone do anything productive. I'm constantly so tired I can't take in what people are saying half the time, which goes down well in a place of work!

Also can't drink, play football, exercise, go clubbing, gigs or most of the things I normally do - so it's fair to say this ball ache of an illness is fucking my life up big time at the moment.

Anyone else had it?

Guest davelfc

I had it when I was 15, wrecked me totally. In those days you had to turn over the TV yourself so I'd be on the couch and unable to move much sometimes.

I did find that if I rested completely one day I could move around a little more the next day, then wrecked again.

Finally went back to school and within a few weeks I was off again, it had returned.

Had it when I was about 23. Hospital for a few nights. Really fucked me up.

Horrible not having the energy to do absolutely anything, even a trip from my bedroom to the kitchen was a massive chore, and I lived in a bungalow then.

Was off work for a few months and was still trying to progress work on the house I'd bought, probably not wise and ultimately set me back.

It's a fine line between not sitting around moping and doing fuck all but also trying to exercise and get yourself back to normal as soon as possible.

I lost a shit load of weight too, being 6'5" that ain't a good look.

Keep your chin up.

Sounds nasty. Is there still a section of people who don't really believe it exists, or am I confusing it with ME?

It really is grim, after being so active for the whole of my life to then be so fucked after a short walk around the house really is hard to comprehend.

It really is grim, after being so active for the whole of my life to then be so fucked after a short walk around the house really is hard to comprehend.

The only context I can put it in is that I've just spent two weeks with food poisoning, could not eat or sleep for ten days for vomiting, and lost over two stone and a trouser size. I don't think I've ever felt so weak in my life, and it's going to take me ages to recover.

Glandular fever sounds worse, because it goes on for much longer.

I had it when I was 18. Totally ruined my first 'legal' New Year's Eve out on the town as I was stuck in the house on my own whilst all my mates were out having a great time. Found a couple of shows on RTL which softened the blow, but not by much.

Annoyingly, it still comes back to haunt me when I get a bit run down. The glandular fever, that is, not RTL.