You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Mail rightly gets its fair share of abuse on here but fucking hell, what garbage the Express is. Tomorrow's headline is 'sunlight cures breast cancer'. Every other day they just make up a random cure for a random disease.

"Does asprin hold cure for Alzheimer's?" No, no it doesn't.

Guest davelfc

To get serious for a moment, I attended a lecture a few years ago about the benefits of vitamin D, specificially D3.

I cannot do the one hour justice here but basically for example the flu seasons run at a time when people are getting too little sunlight (vitamin D)

I was convinced about this, so much in fact I take a sensible dose of vitamin d3 each day and have done for a while now. I increase my dose around flu season and if someone I am going to be in contact with has the flu.

The result has been that I have not suffered at all, no colds or flu in fact in that sense I've been completely clear,

I'm only a one man experiment so it proves nothing really but I will continue to push my belief that taking vitamin d3 as a supplement is better than not taking it at all.

The science is there for saying that vitamin D can help to prevent/cure skin cancer.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The problem with papers like the Express or Mail, over papers like the S*n or the People or whatever, is that they're masquerading as serious newspapers.

The diana and asylum stuff is more the mail's preserve, the express loves that shit too, but it's all the health bollocks I can't get my head around. Wouldn't you read it where it says 'miracle cure found for parkinson's' and think 'what happened to the last cure for parkinson's?'

The diana and asylum stuff is more the mail's preserve, the express loves that shit too, but it's all the health bollocks I can't get my head around. Wouldn't you read it where it says 'miracle cure found for parkinson's' and think 'what happened to the last cure for parkinson's?'

People read that kind of shit - "Broccoli will save your life" followed a week later by "Broccoli will kill you" - and they conclude that scientists don't know what they're talking about. Fucks me right off, that does.

Guest ShoePiss
To get serious for a moment, I attended a lecture a few years ago about the benefits of vitamin D, specificially D3.

I cannot do the one hour justice here but basically for example the flu seasons run at a time when people are getting too little sunlight (vitamin D)

I was convinced about this, so much in fact I take a sensible dose of vitamin d3 each day and have done for a while now. I increase my dose around flu season and if someone I am going to be in contact with has the flu.

The result has been that I have not suffered at all, no colds or flu in fact in that sense I've been completely clear,

I'm only a one man experiment so it proves nothing really but I will continue to push my belief that taking vitamin d3 as a supplement is better than not taking it at all.

The science is there for saying that vitamin D can help to prevent/cure skin cancer.

Isn't the spread of flu down to people being indoors more? I don't doubt that a vitamin supplement helps, especially if someone isn't getting enough from their diet.

Guest davelfc

Isn't the spread of flu down to people being indoors more? I don't doubt that a vitamin supplement helps, especially if someone isn't getting enough from their diet.

You cant get vitamin d from your diet, you get it from exposure to the sun. So being indoors more is exactly why they say there are flu seasons.

I'm not some nutter that jumps on the latest fad. I was convinced enough at the time to use it. It was around the time the swine flu was going round and my son was at my house and he had it.

Since I started taking it I've not had even a sniff. Could be coincidence I admit but I'm happy enough.

Google it and see that over the last few years there's been a lot of findings about just how important vitamin d is.

Guest davelfc

Must admit though I don't buy papers, haven't done for over 11 years now. When I am in a cafe (which is rare) I don't bother with their newspapers either.

If they have adverts in them, they are not serious newspapers.

That's not true. Adverts don't impact editorial policy in the slightest, in fact I know of local papers which have lost tens of thousands of pounds in advertising because they've published unflattering stories about firms.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
If they have adverts in them, they are not serious newspapers.

I don't particularly agree with that, to be honest. There's a lot of variables there.

That's not true. Adverts don't impact editorial policy in the slightest, in fact I know of local papers which have lost tens of thousands of pounds in advertising because they've published unflattering stories about firms.

Ah, good logic, so if you see a red car, do you assume all cars are therefore red?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Its proven, its not about whether you agree to it or not, thats neither here nor there.

It's proven that you're not a serious paper if you advertise? I'd like to see that proof, if I may.