You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Double standards

bouncebrigade

I generally don't like discussions revolving around this topic but this has been niggling at me since the weekend. Has anybody noticed the distinct lack of a negative reaction to Holloway's decision to field a weakened team in the FA Cup (which I have no issue with) compared to the xenophobic load of Sky-inspired bullshit that Rafa had to endure when he did something similar in 2005? Not understanding the FA Cup, blah blah, blah.

I generally don't like discussions revolving around this topic but this has been niggling at me since the weekend. Has anybody noticed the distinct lack of a negative reaction to Holloway's decision to field a weakened team in the FA Cup (which I have no issue with) compared to the xenophobic load of Sky-inspired bullshit that Rafa had to endure when he did something similar in 2005? Not understanding the FA Cup, blah blah, blah.

The rules changed, you now have to name the 25 squad, so theirs no such thing as a weakened team, as long as they are on the list.

The rules changed, you now have to name the 25 squad, so theirs no such thing as a weakened team, as long as they are on the list.

Seems more complicated than that as the PL investigated Blackpool earlier in the season for putting out a weakened team against Villa.

E20 is the rule and all it says is

Full Strength Teams

20. In every League Match each participating Club shall field a full strength team.

More than enough leeway to beat up on Blackpool and Wolves and give Manure et al a free pass.

Seems more complicated than that as the PL investigated Blackpool earlier in the season for putting out a weakened team against Villa.

E20 is the rule and all it says is

Full Strength Teams

20. In every League Match each participating Club shall field a full strength team.

More than enough leeway to beat up on Blackpool and Wolves and give Manure et al a free pass.

Can't remember the FA investigating it at all? do remember Holloway getting his leg pulled by the reporters (over fielding a weakened team), making himself look a prick about the issue, but deffo can't remember the FA doing shit about it.

As said that rule as made itself redundant

Can't remember the FA investigating it at all? do remember Holloway getting his leg pulled by the reporters (over fielding a weakened team), making himself look a prick about the issue, but deffo can't remember the FA doing shit about it.

As said that rule as made itself redundant

It was the PL not the FA. Don't think Blackpool were punished but the PL did confirm they were investigating. I only remember because I assumed like you with this 25 man squad thing this was all history, but I guess the power mongers like to retain the discretion to act as they please.

It was the PL not the FA. Don't think Blackpool were punished but the PL did confirm they were investigating. I only remember because I assumed like you with this 25 man squad thing this was all history, but I guess the power mongers like to retain the discretion to act as they please.

Prem nor FA did shit about it as far as i know, although I was surprised Holloway wasn't changed with bring the game in to "disrepute" after that childish rant, which was worse than twittering a pic of webb!!

Prem nor FA did shit about it as far as i know, although I was surprised Holloway wasn't changed with bring the game in to "disrepute" after that childish rant, which was worse than twittering a pic of webb!!

Yeah, we're obviously guilty of trying to superimpose common-sense atop PL/FA actions! We should know better.