You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Notice Pay when leaving a job...Need advice!

Staniola

Hi guys. I was hoping someone could help me with some advice on this. I have been offered a new job to start on the 13th of this month, but said I may need to give 4 weeks notice as is the norm I think. I told my current boss today that I would be leaving and he said to clear my desk and go now, which leaves me not working or getting paid for the month unless they can let me start on the 13th as initially planned.

Basically, my question is, am I entitled to any pay for this month from my newly ex employer seeing as I offered to work my notice, but he said no?

Thanks in advance

Stan

Depends what's in your contract. If you do have a 4 week notice period I reckon you'd be due something. He's basically terminated your contract on the spot for no reason. Check your contract and get in touch with your union rep.

Notice periods

This should help you out

Cheers lads. Much appreciated. My contract says 1 month notice needed once probation period is completed, which it has been for some time. I'll probably email him and reiterate that I'm willing to work my notice period rather than staying at home and getting paid for fuck all to try and open the subject with him to find out how he plans to do it.

Worracunt

It does sound bad, I know, but he's actually a proper sound guy and has shit going on at home with his missus' dad dying Monday just gone. He may even ask me to come back in and work my notice anyway when he has chance to calm down!