You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barnes gets the sack.

milky

The warning signs with Barnes were there after his time at Celtic. The thing is though, that sort of appointment CAN work, providing you do the basics around it. If you appoint John Barnes as a manager, you get him a gritty assistant manager. You get someone in to work with him. You get him a Stan Ternant. So when it's all going wrong, you turn to your experienced, gritty assistant, and you say "What would you do?" Providing you're not Kevin Keegan, you'll get a sensible answer you can work with.

John Barnes turns around to his assistant, Jason McAteer, and says, "What shall we do Jason?"

Trigger will just reply: "EYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYR, WELL, STICKH ANOTHER FORWARD ON LIKE."

Barnes is a Liverpool legend, and I respect McAteer for his love of the club and telling Roy Keane "to stick that in your f**king book" if nothing else, but what the hell were Tranmere thinking?

Bums on seats.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The warning signs with Barnes were there after his time at Celtic. The thing is though, that sort of appointment CAN work, providing you do the basics around it. If you appoint John Barnes as a manager, you get him a gritty assistant manager. You get someone in to work with him. You get him a Stan Ternant. So when it's all going wrong, you turn to your experienced, gritty assistant, and you say "What would you do?" Providing you're not Kevin Keegan, you'll get a sensible answer you can work with.

John Barnes turns around to his assistant, Jason McAteer, and says, "What shall we do Jason?"

Trigger will just reply: "EYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYR, WELL, STICKH ANOTHER FORWARD ON LIKE."

Barnes is a Liverpool legend, and I respect McAteer for his love of the club and telling Roy Keane "to stick that in your f**king book" if nothing else, but what the hell were Tranmere thinking?

but wasnt Kenny sort of a assistant at Celtic and he fucked up there aswell

I don't think you could have put ANYONE to help Barnes at Celtic. He was THAT far out of his depth. In Fizzy Pop League One, with the right assistant, there's nothing to stop Tranmere finishing midtable. I do feel sorry for Barnes though, because he was given no money to spend, and tried to pass his way out of trouble. That won't get you many places in that division. I'm afraid his managerial career is now absolutely in tatters.

I don't think you could have put ANYONE to help Barnes at Celtic. He was THAT far out of his depth. In Fizzy Pop League One, with the right assistant, there's nothing to stop Tranmere finishing midtable. I do feel sorry for Barnes though, because he was given no money to spend, and tried to pass his way out of trouble. That won't get you many places in that division. I'm afraid his managerial career is now absolutely in tatters.

It's more like sugary vinegar I reckon.

mordor.jpg

"One does not simply walk into Birkenhead. It's black gates are guarded by more than just hoodies. There is evil there that does not sleep. The great Patricia Routledge is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire, ash, and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly"

There's no wonder Digger lost his job, because he kept telling the players the same thing at half time.

'You've got to hold and give but do it at the right time. You can be slow or fast, but you must get to the line. They'll always hit you and hurt you, defend and attack. There's only one way to beat them, get round the back'.