You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Multimedia harddrive advice wanted

redheart

Hello

I want to purchase a multimedia harddrive. My requirements

1:1TB hard drive

2:Ability to connect to my TV by HDMI

3:Must be able to play avi, mpeg, mkv and all high def formats etc etc

Any advice

What hi-def formats are in the etc, etc? You want hi-definition, then get a bluray player.

As for playing avi files on yout TV, either get a dedicated player like the Neuros OSD or play through an xbox using Windows Media Extender. Neither come with in-built harddrives, which in any case would limit your storage.

The Neuros OSD - Digitally Store and Easily Access your DVDs, VHS tapes and Video media | Neuros Technology

Windows Media Center: Extenders

What hi-def formats are in the etc, etc? You want hi-definition, then get a bluray player.

As for playing avi files on yout TV, either get a dedicated player like the Neuros OSD or play through an xbox using Windows Media Extender. Neither come with in-built harddrives, which in any case would limit your storage.

The Neuros OSD - Digitally Store and Easily Access your DVDs, VHS tapes and Video media | Neuros Technology

Windows Media Center: Extenders

I assumed if you got a multimedia harddrive that you could play .mkv and blueray files directly to you HD tv?

What does HTPC mean?

Any more advice I want it to play .mkv and H264 (I think).

Come on chaps

Home Theatre PC. Basically a PC, but in your living room, used to play your movies, watch TV, music whatever.

What do people think of this

Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player

Amazon.com: Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player: Electronics

Heard good things. What would put me off that is there's no storage on it, you need to plug in an external HD, which means another plug, and more wires. Its cheap though, especially if you already have an external HD and it will play .mkv.

You do not need an extra plug if you have a portable usb drive, that gets its power from teh USB port.

There is a slight problem with some sound on mkvs.

I am not worried about hard drives, I can buy them separately.

I do not want to spend 250 on a popcorn hour if it may not be future proof

You do not need an extra plug if you have a portable usb drive, that gets its power from teh USB port.

There is a slight problem with some sound on mkvs.

I am not worried about hard drives, I can buy them separately.

I do not want to spend 250 on a popcorn hour if it may not be future proof

Sorry, no suggestions from me mate as this isn't something I've done myself yet.

Just wanted to point out that future-proof digital multimedia is something of an oxymoron, just get the best kit you can comfortably afford right now and accept that in three years or so you'll probably have to upgrade again. Technology never stands still.

What do people think of this

Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player

Amazon.com: Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player: Electronics

That looks ace. It is exactly the sort of thing I have been looking for. I have just checked and they are about 80 quid here. I have 2 WD external drives totalling 1 Tb. Perfecto!