You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wii or 360

I have had a Wii for about a year now and it's gotten to the point where I only play Mario Kart with my mates. I have other games but if I'm not playing Mario Kart its sat in the corner being a small white ornament.

Went to my brothers yesterday and played some games on his Xbox360 Left 4 Dead, FIFA 09 and Fallout and it blew me away. The games were so much fun and the online support was amazing. The Wii is limited in what kind of games you can buy for it and I am positive I would play a 360 more then I do my Wii

I think I could recoup about £220+ for my Wii with its games and multiple Wiimotes if I sell it in work to someone with kids who's too lazy to go the shops for it. With that I could get the Basic 360 with a few games.

Will I regret this? Is it worth it? Has anyone done similar? Anyone got both consoles?

Yesterday I swapped my brother's wii and 4 games (wii sports, mario charged strikers, wii party and ratatouie) and got a 360, with the HDMI cable, a hard drive, headset, two wireless pads and tiger woods.

Cracking deal me thinks. It was in CEX by the way, they give by far the best prices.

For the Wii? No there won't be, it's really suffering for actual games but since they don't actually sell that well, it's no surprise.

Eh?

The data comes from High Street retailer The Game Group, which estimates that by Christmas the installed base for the Wii will reach 4.9 million units, the Xbox 360 2.8 million and the PS3 1.9 million units.

Console installed base almost doubles in UK // News

Look at the wii penetration in this list too:

Amazon.co.uk Bestsellers: The most popular items in PC & Video Games. Updated hourly.

Yesterday I swapped my brother's wii and 4 games (wii sports, mario charged strikers, wii party and ratatouie) and got a 360, with the HDMI cable, a hard drive, headset, two wireless pads and tiger woods.

Cracking deal me thinks. It was in CEX by the way, they give by far the best prices.

Cheers for the heads up I might pop in and see what I can haggle if I go for it

You're taking a very narrow view there, Wiiksie. Yes the Wii is by far and away the most successful competition of this generation but you've disproved your own point with that amazon link. The top selling game is Mario Kart, a game released over 9 months ago, after that what's the next best seller? Wii Fit, hardly a game is it? After that? Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, an even older game that is no more than a mini-game compilation that has no depth.

Compare that to say the PS3, since Little Big Planet is number two in that list.

It's top ten include LBP, Resistence 2, Fallout 3, COD: World at War and PES 2009. Some may be sequels, but they are games in the traditional sense, not mini-games wrapped as something more than what they are plus they're recent releases. Mario Galaxy underperformed according expectations and forecasts, go into most stores and it's nowhere in the top sellers list. The Wii has no games coming out for it, it's line up is slight compared to the other two and I could never survive with just the Wii as there's not enough out there to satisfy a regular gamer.

You're taking a very narrow view there, Wiiksie. Yes the Wii is by far and away the most successful competition of this generation but you've disproved your own point with that amazon link. The top selling game is Mario Kart, a game released over 9 months ago, after that what's the next best seller? Wii Fit, hardly a game is it? After that? Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, an even older game that is no more than a mini-game compilation that has no depth.

Compare that to say the PS3, since Little Big Planet is number two in that list.

It's top ten include LBP, Resistence 2, Fallout 3, COD: World at War and PES 2009. Some may be sequels, but they are games in the traditional sense, not mini-games wrapped as something more than what they are plus they're recent releases. Mario Galaxy underperformed according expectations and forecasts, go into most stores and it's nowhere in the top sellers list. The Wii has no games coming out for it, it's line up is slight compared to the other two and I could never survive with just the Wii as there's not enough out there to satisfy a regular gamer.

These points are a catalyst for me considering selling the Wii. There's not a big enough variety of games to keep me interested. Plus, when you come home from the pub, you've had a few and fancy a game of something you wont wanna play Wii Fit. You wont wanna play Olympics due to it being hard work. You might just wanna shoot some germans or zombies and play a game of FIFA.

I'm not a "hardcore gamer" as such, I don't spend hours on end playing games but sometimes I just find the Wii too much hard work when I want just half an hour of time killing

You said 'they don't actually sell that well', I just illustrated that they do.

I probably agree with everything you said though regarding 'gamers' and the choice on the Wii. I'm only keeping mine in case there is another Mario or Zelda game.

I think he meant that "actual games" ie not Wii fit didn't sell that way. Everyone knows the console is massively successful

It'd appear that's what Nintendo are going for - generally social pick-up, put-down gaming for a different audience to the classic market for consoles, with a bit of gimmickery thrown in, and there are fewer 'real' in-depth games being written for it as a result? It's certainly worked regarding console sales, but this new audience don't seem to be buying as many games (or aren't being targeted well by advertising?) so you may see developers moving away from the Wii or writing substandard stuff for it due to poor sales.