You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

O'Neill resigns

Lee909

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) He spent a fortune!

2) He signed most of them!

Agreed. Cue the press going on about what a huge mistake Villa have made; and I hate to compare him to Rafa but his record does not stand up against the credit he is given. We've got twits like Henry Winter describing him as a heavyweight manager.

"How much money the new Villa manager has to spend will be of great interest given the manner of O'Neill's departure. Lerner has invested £179m since assuming control in 2006 – his arrival coinciding with the appointment of O'Neill – but he made it clear at the end of last season that he was no longer willing to bankroll huge spending sprees. Villa posted a record pre-tax loss of £46m for the 2008-09 season as the wage bill during that period climbed to £71m, up 42% on the previous 12 months. Last season's accounts are expected to be even worse." The Guardian

The facts are that under him Villa have achieved nothing other than mid-table or 6th place at best

"What a waste. Villa now look doomed to slide back, to squander the chance given them by the management of somebody of the calibre of O'Neill.

O'Neill made mistakes – Nicky Shorey, Steve Sidwell and Emile Heskey spring to mind – but Villa should feel deeply indebted to him and rue his decision to walk away.

To appreciate the impact O'Neill has on players one need only look at Milner and Young, whose transfer values have doubled under his guidance. O'Neill makes good players better, developing elements of their game to make them more varied, more" Henry Winter

Guest PurpleNose
You know, spending £60m is fine if your investments appreciate. Yeah, he spent £60m, and now two of those signings alone (Young and Milner) are set to recoup the vast majority of that.

No.

Spending £60m is fine if you win trophies.

He isn't the greatest manager since sliced bread, but nor is he a bad manager.

I think he did reasonably well at Villa, about what you would expect a decent manager to do, really. If he was a very good manager he would have got them into the Champions League, but they never looked like doing that.

His team plays horrible hoof ball and I think he is far too jittery for my liking, but even so, he achieved about par at Villa.

Guest PurpleNose
One rule for Rafa and one rule for the rsst

We havent one a trophy since 2006

Martin O'Neill hasn't won a major trophy, as a manager, ever.

Just saw this posted on another forum

They were talking about Kirdi's bid if I remember rightly, and the exact line from the reporter went something like this:

".....and they have confirmed funds will be made available for A management team, not THIS management team but 'A' suggesting they're looking to bring in their own man. And with Martin O'Neill now available....."

Sensationalist crap? Possibly. It is ssn after all. But who knows

I wonder do we have any big games coming up this weekend

60 mill is not a fortune in that amount of time he has been very succesfull with them. They will miss him badly. A bid for young must nof been accpted as he said this would force him to resign if it happened. Man City are killing the beautiful game. Teams shouldnt be able to unsettle players they should make the bid, The club decids wether to accept that bid, Then this is discussed with the player Things like this should be more private. Man city will ll the game all they have to do once they get into the CL is say we want such and such and they will get anyone they want regaurdless there fee. I do not want to be anything like this.

Eriksson and Southgate? My Villain mate is devastated. Understandbly. O'Neill really put good things into action at Villa and I'm surprised Lerner didn't hang on. Guess if you ain't got the money, you can't do anything about it. Where'll O'Neill go now though? Call me drastic but Man City should pounce! Yes! Arrivederci Mancini, top o' the morning O'Neill! He'll sure them up, sort out the egos and have money to spend. Do it.