You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

World Cup England adverts and the English football mentality

Hooch

I don't mean to bring the day down with negativity with a big game on later, but I just think the English mentality on tournaments is so wrong.

All these adverts that hype it up like it's a big war, like the game of football is played on a battlefield. It's so alien to the modern game.

Whats with that big speech about "make them regret the day they took on ENGLAND!" with numerous English Sportsmen fist pumping at the camera as if we're about to embark on to the beaches at Normandy?

The games about pass and move, technical ability, tactical nous and positional sense.

Personally, I think we should be trying to big up our skills and abilities, tactical prowess etc. You know? Lets have an advert with a load of players showcasing their skills, little kids on the streets running rings round each other (I've got an idea for an advert/ football music video here).

Thankfully I think Capello knows the score and he'll have the team drilled like never before. But if I could point one thing out to England players, they're on a FOOTBALL pitch, not a gung ho battlefield, so don't hype yourself up to the point of eruption.

Guest PurpleNose

The adverts perfectly represent why England are such failures at major tournaments.

Its not all about passion. Infact some should be traded in for some composure and some concentration.

Exactly mate. Look at this beauty, 20 years on, it still can't be touched.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhSZFrII40Y&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhSZFrII40Y&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Its about tactics of course it is but a bit of war mentality can go a long way

Usually as far as the quarter-finals.

One bit of one of the adverts sums up this country's attitude to football. The bit that says, "Do it for Bobby (as in Robson)".

This will be the Bobby the press absolutely hounded through two major tournaments, and was generally treated as a joke until he took England further than anyone since Ramsey - and since anyone after himself, for that matter.

I don't mean to bring the day down with negativity with a big game on later, but I just think the English mentality on tournaments is so wrong.

All these adverts that hype it up like it's a big war, like the game of football is played on a battlefield. It's so alien to the modern game.

Whats with that big speech about "make them regret the day they took on ENGLAND!" with numerous English Sportsmen fist pumping at the camera as if we're about to embark on to the beaches at Normandy?

The games about pass and move, technical ability, tactical nous and positional sense.

Personally, I think we should be trying to big up our skills and abilities, tactical prowess etc. You know? Lets have an advert with a load of players showcasing their skills, little kids on the streets running rings round each other (I've got an idea for an advert/ football music video here).

Thankfully I think Capello knows the score and he'll have the team drilled like never before. But if I could point one thing out to England players, they're on a FOOTBALL pitch, not a gung ho battlefield, so don't hype yourself up to the point of eruption.

Do you think the argies, jocks, germans and french for example think the same as you when they play england? Do they fuck.

As a Scotsman whose only interest in England is watching them fail, its amusing when the likes of Mars bars, the s*n and carlsberg come up with these ads especially since Mars is trying to get us back by showing a new ad with the scotland national football team badge. If the media let 1966 die and stopped hyping up the side every four years then they might play a bit better with no pressure. Personally I find it HILARIOUS that England are struggling in a group that the pundits expected to get 9 points out of 9.

You are right Rafa but I would say don't you think the Scottish mentality to football is quite similar?

It's all about battling, being brave etc etc. I think we've both got it wrong but I don't know if it will ever really change. It's a British thing init?

You are right Rafa but I would say don't you think the Scottish mentality to football is quite similar?

It's all about battling, being brave etc etc. I think we've both got it wrong but I don't know if it will ever really change. It's a British thing init?

I thought I was getting negged there so thanks m8. Yeah i suppose you're right. ALthough when we qualify the MAXIMUM we get is 3 games !. BTW, I dont have a problem with ANY of the English players, I love Stevie G and Carra to bits but what i cant stand is chiles, tyldsley etc TELLING us that england WILL win the world up.